Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #4,951 of 7,334
I agree on the Dekoni EV. Bass is for the better imo as it's less boxed in and spreads out its energy more even giving more breathing room and thus is more enveloping. Upper mids and more even treble are the greatest benefit though.
Glueing the pads helps maintaing sub bass response.

I'm looking forward to the High End in Munich, hopefully the LCD-24 shows up finally.

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,952 of 7,334
Just slapped on the Velours today. They don't do anything bad that is for sure, it's still the 2C's. Bass is about the same. Maybe the bass has a bit of a fuzzy / softer decay to it, but very minimal. Upper mids and highs far more even sounding now. Piano sounds a bit better as do female vocals, some string instruments? Percussion instruments that used to be more in the background can now be heard better and are placed better in the imaging. Among other small nuances. I'd say I am happy, I don't hear anything I don't like. I didn't do any real A-B, but these are my impressions after swapping. Just seems more smoother. Also no more Vacuum on my ears YAY!

IMG_20190410_105247.jpg

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,953 of 7,334
Just slapped on the Velours today. They don't do anything bad that is for sure, it's still the 2C's. Bass is about the same. Maybe the bass has a bit of a fuzzy / softer decay to it, but very minimal. Upper mids and highs far more even sounding now. Piano sounds a bit better as do female vocals, some string instruments? Percussion instruments that used to be more in the background can now be heard better and are placed better in the imaging. Among other small nuances. I'd say I am happy, I don't hear anything I don't like. I didn't do any real A-B, but these are my impressions after swapping. Just seems more smoother. Also no more Vacuum on my ears YAY!

IMG_20190410_105247.jpg

How do you think those pads will be for picking up dust. The one thing I don't like about my 660s pads is their ability to collect dust and fluff.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #4,955 of 7,334
How do you think those pads will be for picking up dust. The one thing I don't like about my 660s pads is their ability to collect dust and fluff.

About as much as you would imagine, You can even see it in the picture. That I took before I put them on and you can already see random fluff.

Another thing to note. Damn this velour is the hottest velour I have ever worn.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #4,956 of 7,334
About as much as you would imagine, You can even see it in the picture. That I took before I put them on and you can already see random fluff.

Another thing to note. Damn this velour is the hottest velour I have ever worn.

Yep, they are quite hot that is for sure. That is the main reason I have been really considering getting the fenestrated sheepskin pads for mine. The only reason I haven’t, is because my other main headphones all have the perforated lambskin pads, so I kind of like the idea of these being different for now.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #4,957 of 7,334
Well I finally got back to my 2C. Listened to them for a couple of nights and I have to say as a purely technical headphone they are truly great. The problem for me now is I've just been spoiled completely on the comfort of my Nighthawks. The clamp on the 2C that never bothered me before is way more apparent. Last night i decided to just hook up my modded hifiman he-400i instead. With some light eq they are actually pretty comparable imo. Sad thing is the 2C got stuffed back in the box :frowning2:
Maybe I'll break them back out in a bit. gotta work my neck and cheek muscles out a bit hehe.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #4,958 of 7,334
Well I finally got back to my 2C. Listened to them for a couple of nights and I have to say as a purely technical headphone they are truly great. The problem for me now is I've just been spoiled completely on the comfort of my Nighthawks. The clamp on the 2C that never bothered me before is way more apparent. Last night i decided to just hook up my modded hifiman he-400i instead. With some light eq they are actually pretty comparable imo. Sad thing is the 2C got stuffed back in the box :frowning2:
Maybe I'll break them back out in a bit. gotta work my neck and cheek muscles out a bit hehe.
I personally enjoyed my NH when I still had them, they're light as hell and the comfort is just out of this world. Sadly many people are turned off by the sound. I remember one user compared the sound of nighthawk to listening to a pair of speaker off-axis. I find that analogy to be quite accurate.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #4,959 of 7,334
I personally enjoyed my NH when I still had them, they're light as hell and the comfort is just out of this world. Sadly many people are turned off by the sound. I remember one user compared the sound of nighthawk to listening to a pair of speaker off-axis. I find that analogy to be quite accurate.
I agree with the speaker comparison. The Hawks are one of my fav, if not my fav headphone at the moment. Such a nice pair of headphones for musical enjoyment/relaxation.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #4,960 of 7,334
I just sent in an EL-8 with cracked headband in for straight trade of lcd2 classic B stock. received it today. I can't tell where it is B lol. Thanks to Jimmy at Audeze for the awesome RMA experience.

Great sounding headphones. I need to do some more listening to compare with the LCD2 non fazor with foam headband, I think they sounds pretty similar. I am listening at medium low volume to burn these in a bit first. the new headband design is awesome vs lcd3 original head band. also this is so much lighter than LCD3 and the earcup is softer than the leather type. in between the suede. it's got a very good "memory" foam.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #4,961 of 7,334
Hey welcome back, brother. Shall we have a 3-way discussion with @betula again? Ordering pizza. Lol.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #4,962 of 7,334

I understand what you are saying. Sometimes I feel like all of my headphones are uncomfortable. And then there are days when I can wear any of them. Makes me confused as to what is actually comfortable... What is comfort? Have I ever been comfortable before? The kinda thing that keeps you up at night. :D I wish it was that easy, what is comfortable for 1 hour might be uncomfortable the next 3... And I believe when I got the 2C's originally, I found it uncomfortable, but after 1 hour I forgot all about comfort issues. Also talking about the 400i, I also recently pulled them out and was rather surprised on how comparable they sounded only falling behind the 2C's a little bit... But that effect wore off rather quickly, Plus now that I got the RME, Oh, how far the 2C's shine now! I got some mods on the 400i as well I'm not sure if it is them or the 400i just sound so RAW.

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,963 of 7,334
I understand what you are saying. Sometimes I feel like all of my headphones are uncomfortable. And then there are days when I can wear any of them. Makes me confused as to what is actually comfortable... What is comfort? Have I ever been comfortable before? The kinda thing that keeps you up at night. :D I wish it was that easy, what is comfortable for 1 hour might be uncomfortable the next 3... And I believe when I got the 2C's originally, I found it uncomfortable, but after 1 hour I forgot all about comfort issues. Also talking about the 400i, I also recently pulled them out and was rather surprised on how comparable they sounded only falling behind the 2C's a little bit... But that effect wore off rather quickly, Plus now that I got the RME, Oh, how far the 2C's shine now! I got some mods on the 400i as well I'm not sure if it is them or the 400i just sound so RAW.
Man, the 400i felt like low-fi to me. Sloppy bass, soft dynamics, thin mid, uneven peaks. Even the 4XX felt better. And quite far behind the 2C, though very different tonality. That's my ears though.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,965 of 7,334
I didn't express myself clearly (Not that I ever do.), but what I mean to say is. If you find differently priced headphones to be comparable, like I did with 2C and 400i, maybe it is time to stop spending money on headphones, but instead spend the money on bringing your gear together? Like I did with the RME ADI 2 DAC, now the 2C easily beat 400i. It's subjective regardless. It's just that a lot of people on headfi, seem to spend obscene amounts of money on side grading. I did as well, because I could not find my sound signature. But 2C is as close as I will be. Which is why I was confused when I pulled my 400i out and it didn't seem that far off, which questioned why I bothered to upgrade to begin with. In any case I had some time to think about it and now that I am done side grading I'm looking at the higher end, but just having a look. First I will sort my cable situation, get decent cables in, for headphones and whatever else I need. ADI 2 DAC + HA-1 as a headphone amp isn't a bad combination, but I would like to get Phonitor XE to step in for that, maybe not this year, but eventually... Then I can look at the high end of headphones with my priories straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back