Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #4,906 of 7,334
I'll be reunited with my 2C soon. Its going to be a tough fight for it to compete with my nighthawks though. They just fr my preference too much, and are also much easier to drive for portable applications. And the comfort is just on a whole different level compared to the 2C. I'll probably be getting a pair of owls soon as well for my next closed back. Or maybe the new Mr speakers Ether Cx from massdrop.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,907 of 7,334
I don't know why they are so stubborn with the weight, they could make the same headphones, but out of some high quality plastic or some other light material, yes it would not look as "premium", but the main point being that they would be lighter and more comfortable. Which would make them more popular, at the end of the day it is irrelevant what they look like when they are on your head, the only important things are sound and comfort.

I would not be surprised if something close to 50% of LCD returns are due to weight and clamp. No idea if that is correct, but I said "I would not be surprised". The 2C are apparently the lightest LCD, and even the 2C are much heavier than most other headphones and clamp a lot.

Well planar headphones are pretty heavy by default. But I do agree, they could. A good example? Abyss Diana Phi. Like, It looks normal is much lighter, still sounds impressive, MAGNETIC EAR PADS! How hard can it be? I am one of those people that do go for a thing, judging by looks. Albeit there is no real set standard, it whatever speaks to me and 2C does in certain areas. But damn in comparison Diana just steam rolls with that look. I just like simple things, not 2 headbands, I know comfortable, but plenty headphones use just one and are more than comfortable, so clearly it works. I'm just at that point I can be picky with looks, because otherwise Broke. :D

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,908 of 7,334
The 2C's weight is fine for me. An improvement over past models. I guess it depends on each person's preference and neck strength, but I dont mind a slight weight when accompanied with build quality and good weight distribution, which the 2C has. Some manufacturers use lightweight as an excuse to cut cost. I also find some of the most beautiful cans to be a bit on the heavy side (ZMF, Audeze).

What i dislike most from the 2C is actually the glued earpads. It is ugly and disgusting. Ironically, the pads are probably one of the best I have ever tried. So plush like a baby's butt. That's the reason I could never swap it to the velour ones.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,909 of 7,334
Not sure really, yes Planar is heavier than Dynamic, but they could easily shave off 100-200g, which would put them into the "slightly heavy but not a problem" category. Whereas now even the 2C, which is the lightest, is still very heavy compared to most other headphones. Not so bad for music, quite annoying if using for films.

For example : hifiman -300-400g, mrspeakers 300-400g, various planar 300-450g...

Overall they could certainly lose some weight and that would remove one of the "cons" of LCD headphones. Not sure why they insist on using heavy metal parts for everything, yes it looks nice but I would prefer if they were lighter even if made from plastic.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #4,910 of 7,334
Might not be normal since I can't complain about the weight. No place hurts for me, if something can be felt its that the pads can get warm. If your head and neck is not weak, I cant see why the weight should be a problem. I can have them on for hours for music and movies alike.

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #4,911 of 7,334
Might not be normal since I can't complain about the weight. No place hurts for me, if something can be felt its that the pads can get warm. If your head and neck is not weak, I cant see why the weight should be a problem. I can have them on for hours for music and movies alike.

Likewise, don't really have a problem with the fit of mine as well

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #4,912 of 7,334
Hello. First impression...these cans are fun!!
Very comfortable. Non fatiguing. Music pops alive.
OI000081.JPG

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,913 of 7,334
I'm very surprised just how good my 2C sounds with the Schiit Vali 2. I've listened to other planar headphones on a hybrid amp and didn't really like them but my 2C sounds great, actually all my headphones I use do. This has me wondering how much better they might sound on the new Lyr or some other good hybrid amp. I'll worry about that later because I'm very much enjoying the setup I have.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,914 of 7,334
I'm very surprised just how good my 2C sounds with the Schiit Vali 2. I've listened to other planar headphones on a hybrid amp and didn't really like them but my 2C sounds great, actually all my headphones I use do. This has me wondering how much better they might sound on the new Lyr or some other good hybrid amp. I'll worry about that later because I'm very much enjoying the setup I have.

Yeah, I read good things about the Vali 2 and 2C. If i'm ever in the marker for a Hybird Id get the Vali 2. I used to have the CTH amp but sold it before I got my 2C.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,915 of 7,334
Got my 2C in a couple days ago and was instantly smitten. Listening impressions and a couple playlists of material I used for demo can be found here.

My sleep is starting to suffer as a result of owning these. Constantly running into moral dilemmas over whether I should go to bed or keep listening to the 2Cs. Usually the latter wins out. I've also started using the iSine10 again when I'm commuting so it's easier to readjust to the 2C's sound signature. Finding new reasons to appreciate those, too.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #4,916 of 7,334
Got my 2C in a couple days ago and was instantly smitten. Listening impressions and a couple playlists of material I used for demo can be found here.

My sleep is starting to suffer as a result of owning these. Constantly running into moral dilemmas over whether I should go to bed or keep listening to the 2Cs. Usually the latter wins out. I've also started using the iSine10 again when I'm commuting so it's easier to readjust to the 2C's sound signature. Finding new reasons to appreciate those, too.

Glad you like your 2C as well. It is my favourite headphone that I have owned so far.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,917 of 7,334

I don't have a weak neck at all, they do not cause pain as such, just they are not comfortable, for example :

a) These are causing physical pain, my neck is too weak < No

b) Ergh these are not very comfortable compared to most headphones, which makes them less enjoyable to use. < Yes

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #4,918 of 7,334
I am not saying this to whine for no reason BTW, I assume Audeze might read this, not that my opinion matters much to them, but if enough people complain about it, maybe they will actually make lighter headphones.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #4,919 of 7,334
For me when the music starts to play I just feel the music...
I'm telling it and I have one of the heavier Audeze model (LCD2rev2) and I have them more than 12 hours a day...
I guess I'm used to it...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #4,920 of 7,334
i have a UD-301, wonder if it is going to be powerful enough to drive the 2c,

ooth i have a xlr ONLY amp, and maybe that can help out a bit (if anyone remembers a product from stoner acoustics, the EGA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back