Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #4,336 of 7,334
l would stick with the topping over spending money on a modi. There is not much difference there in all likelihood. The loki is the best investment imo. Even my topping d50 is close to the modi 3 in sound quality, but I even prefer the modi 3 over the topping when using modi 3 spdif with the eitr over straight usb out of d50

So I decided to grab a Loki over a DAC for now based on your recommendation. Can you point me in the right direction of settings for this with my LCD classics?

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,337 of 7,334
So I decided to grab a Loki over a DAC for now based on your recommendation. Can you point me in the right direction of settings for this with my LCD classics?

That's a tough one to answer as we all have our own preferences as well as different amps amps and dacs that make subtle differences to the final sound. I personally like to set the treble to 11:45, and either leave all others flat or adjust the midrange slightly down to 11.45 depending on my whims that day or the music I'm listening too. Just remember that small adjustments are generally the way to go with eq, and lowering eq always beats boosting eq for cleaner sound.

THis us using modi multibit with eitr, and the THX 789 amp. YMMV

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #4,338 of 7,334
That's a tough one to answer as we all have our own preferences as well as different amps amps and dacs that make subtle differences to the final sound. I personally like to set the treble to 11:45, and either leave all others flat or adjust the midrange slightly down to 11.45 depending on my whims that day or the music I'm listening too. Just remember that small adjustments are generally the way to go with eq, and lowering eq always beats boosting eq for cleaner sound.

THis us using modi multibit with eitr, and the THX 789 amp. YMMV

Thanks. No need for bass bump?

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,339 of 7,334
I have been away for the festive season and the only headphones I had was my Sony XM2 for the flights which I sold since then. I just couldn't get used to that hazy and mid-bassy sound.

Since then I am looking for better portable options, will test a Campfire Comet with EarStudio ES100 soon. I don't really want to spend more than this since I only fly 4-5 times a year. If I don't like the Comet my next option is the Ety ER3XR or instead of the ES100 the Spectra X DAC. The ES100 is surprisingly good for the price so far, but haven't tried with the Comet yet.
My next flight is only in a couple of months, so I have got some play time.

Why I am bringing this up is the EQ talk and the infinite love towards Loki in this thread. I had a longer post a few weeks ago about refinement of taste and how we are able to learn and appreciate new subtleties in taste, think of red wine or whiskey or cheeses. My argument was that our audio taste can get more refined by time as well, and EQ most of the time is like ketchup that we are used to and refuse to get rid of.

I still think EQ-ing is a slippery slope if you want your taste to keep improving. However I was also considering buying the Loki to add some extra bass and to ease out treble crispness at times. I am still not sure however, if that's the right way instead of buying a more refined, better-balanced amp.

What my 2 weeks away taught me with the Sony XM2 is that our ears/brain need a much longer adjustment period to new sound and to another sound signature than we think. 2-3 days at least. Coming back from holiday my ears/brain had to readjust to my system with the 2C. Initially it felt thin and bass-light after the XM2, although air and space and refinement was immediately better. (Makes me question any A/B headphone testing.)

Don't rush with EQ guys, don't rush with Loki. Let your ears learn what you have got. After you know what you've got, you will know how you want to tweak that sound if you want to tweak anything at all. Wait with adjustments is my 2 cents for the week. :)

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #4,340 of 7,334
It's been a few days now with the Loki and I'm so happy I bought it. Still haven't used it with any other headphones because I'm loving my 2C at the moment and it doesn't take a lot to make it sound great. I'm only about 1/4 turn up on the bass and a bit less on the 2k and 8k nobs, if I want a lot of bass I only go about 1/2 a turn because more than that is too much bass for me but the 2C can handle it if you want more.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #4,341 of 7,334
Thanks. No need for bass bump?

That depends on what you want from them, quite a few of us here have the bass turned at around 3-ish. The more you add the more bloaty the vocals might become, you start noticeing it after about 2 o clock. But sometimes it is fun to just crank it up to the max.

I have been away for the festive season and the only headphones I had was my Sony XM2 for the flights which I sold since then. I just couldn't get used to that hazy and mid-bassy sound.

Since then I am looking for better portable options, will test a Campfire Comet with EarStudio ES100 soon. I don't really want to spend more than this since I only fly 4-5 times a year. If I don't like the Comet my next option is the Ety ER3XR or instead of the ES100 the Spectra X DAC. The ES100 is surprisingly good for the price so far, but haven't tried with the Comet yet.
My next flight is only in a couple of months, so I have got some play time.

Why I am bringing this up is the EQ talk and the infinite love towards Loki in this thread. I had a longer post a few weeks ago about refinement of taste and how we are able to learn and appreciate new subtleties in taste, think of red wine or whiskey or cheeses. My argument was that our audio taste can get more refined by time as well, and EQ most of the time is like ketchup that we are used to and refuse to get rid of.

I still think EQ-ing is a slippery slope if you want your taste to keep improving. However I was also considering buying the Loki to add some extra bass and to ease out treble crispness at times. I am still not sure however, if that's the right way instead of buying a more refined, better-balanced amp.

What my 2 weeks away taught me with the Sony XM2 is that our ears/brain need a much longer adjustment period to new sound and to another sound signature than we think. 2-3 days at least. Coming back from holiday my ears/brain had to readjust to my system with the 2C. Initially it felt thin and bass-light after the XM2, although air and space and refinement was immediately better. (Makes me question any A/B headphone testing.)

Don't rush with EQ guys, don't rush with Loki. Let your ears learn what you have got. After you know what you've got, you will know how you want to tweak that sound if you want to tweak anything at all. Wait with adjustments is my 2 cents for the week. :)

As you know, i'm more or less on the same edge with this, but for the sake of my wallet I tried it and it worked. However in this guys case I have to question it, because it doesn't seem like he needs it because he thinks he lacks anything in 2C, but because people just do EQ them.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #4,342 of 7,334
Depends on what you want. The "problem" area with the 2C is the sucked out upper mid. The Loki isn't the best for it due to location of the 2khz. The Loki needs another tuning point probably at around 4khz to be more effective with the 2C.

Anyway, I raise the 2khz to about 3db usually. My advice is to tune it with your ear.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #4,343 of 7,334
Tune it to your ears satisfaction. It shouldn't take much to tune these

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #4,344 of 7,334
So if I understood correctly 2C have thin and kinda bad female vocals..untill you use a "reveal" plugin ? The problem is I dont use Iphone or PC for source, so I can't use any plugins.. aren't vocals realy not acceptable without this plugin ??

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #4,345 of 7,334
So if I understood correctly 2C have thin and kinda bad female vocals..untill you use a "reveal" plugin ? The problem is I dont use Iphone or PC for source, so I can't use any plugins.. aren't vocals realy not acceptable without this plugin ??

Maybe for some, but for me The 2C is the Headphone I reach for when I want a dose of Sade's velvety voice :)

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,346 of 7,334
Oh..whatever.. I was reading comments a whole week. Gonna order them tomorrow. I like female vocals.. but 80% of the music I listen are various electronic styles.. So I will probably like it.. even if the vocals are not that good.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,347 of 7,334
Oh..whatever.. I was reading comments a whole week. Gonna order them tomorrow. I like female vocals.. but 80% of the music I listen are various electronic styles.. So I will probably like it.. even if the vocals are not that good.

Just keep it in mind that lots of people in this hobby are extreme nit-pickers, myself included :)

I hope you enjoy the 2C as much as I have! Can't beat them for Electronica for sure :)

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,348 of 7,334
If

I am in the same boat. Iphone is my source. No access to plugins. FWIW, I started with the aeon flow open and was underwhelmed by them. I purchased the LCD2c and am in awe. I listen to plenty of music with female vocals and think they sound great. I am no audiophile but these are spectacular. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #4,349 of 7,334

I also mostly listen to varying styles of electronic music and the 2C is one of the best u can get for EDM and the like. Really they sound good with whatever I throw at them, especially now with my new favorite toy in the Loki.

Yes, I am a Loki fanboy and proud of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back