Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #4,322 of 7,334
I use the Magni3 and Modi Multibit as my combo and they sound great with the 2C. Haven't heard the regular Modi but I'd have to think that it would sound really good as well. I think spending the extra $150 is worth it to get the Modi Multibit because to me it really sounds good, and while I haven't heard the regular Modi I have listened to some other desktop DACs and the Mimby sounded better than the others imho. It has a detailed warmth that I love and also gives music an analog feel to it I haven't heard from other DACs in it's price range.

BubbaJay, I know you responded to my PM - thanks for that - but have you actually gone back and forth with your X5ii (using its DAC) vs. the Mimby and heard a significant difference between the two? Do you only hear this "detailed warmth" and "analog feel" with the Mimby, and you don't with the X5ii?

I guess I'm skeptical that there can be much difference, based on what I've read about differences in DACs, and knowing that the Fiio DACs get very good reviews. A part of me actually wants to add a Modi to my Magni 3 and make a Schitt stack. But I'm also reluctant to invest in more gear, and having to deal with it, if I don't really need it. Of course I can buy a Modi and return it if I don't hear any benefit, but that's also a pain in the a$$.

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #4,323 of 7,334
I absolutely love the addition of the Loki to my little Schiit rig. The 2C sounds so good now with the added bass and I bumped up the treble some which helped add a touch more sparkle to the highs. The Loki is much better than the digital EQs I've used and there is no distortion at all. If I want a flat response I just flick the bi-pass switch and the Loki is our of the equation.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #4,324 of 7,334
I absolutely love the addition of the Loki to my little Schiit rig. The 2C sounds so good now with the added bass and I bumped up the treble some which helped add a touch more sparkle to the highs. The Loki is much better than the digital EQs I've used and there is no distortion at all. If I want a flat response I just flick the bi-pass switch and the Loki is our of the equation.
The Loki is amazing. It's the smartest addition I made to one of my systems. I have the closed version of these and I make the same adjustments to sound as you. Plus, I add a little bit of upper midrange to smooth out the transition into the treble as well.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #4,327 of 7,334
Hi, just got my LCD2c this week. I've read alot about roon and reveal and the need to eq these a bit. My current setup is iPhone into a topping nx4 DAC only mode paired with a schiit magni3.

I was thinking about getting a modi 3 to pair with it but now I'm wondering if the Loki might be a better upgrade? I have no way to eq over iOS. Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,328 of 7,334
Hi, just got my LCD2c this week. I've read alot about roon and reveal and the need to eq these a bit. My current setup is iPhone into a topping nx4 DAC only mode paired with a schiit magni3.

I was thinking about getting a modi 3 to pair with it but now I'm wondering if the Loki might be a better upgrade? I have no way to eq over iOS. Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.

As someone who has used the lcd2c with the magni 3 and modi 3 along with a host of other dacs I say get the loki. i’ve also got the loki and its a great tool for the lcd2c

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #4,329 of 7,334
As someone who has used the lcd2c with the magni 3 and modi 3 along with a host of other dacs I say get the loki. i’ve also got the loki and its a great tool for the lcd2c

Thanks. Trying to keep my costs down but there literally are no eqs available for an iPhone. Maybe I'll grab a cheap modi 2 or just roll with the topping nx4 as a DAC for now.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,330 of 7,334
Thanks. Trying to keep my costs down but there literally are no eqs available for an iPhone. Maybe I'll grab a cheap modi 2 or just roll with the topping nx4 as a DAC for now.

l would stick with the topping over spending money on a modi. There is not much difference there in all likelihood. The loki is the best investment imo. Even my topping d50 is close to the modi 3 in sound quality, but I even prefer the modi 3 over the topping when using modi 3 spdif with the eitr over straight usb out of d50

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #4,331 of 7,334
I repurchased the LCD2Cs after buying them when they were first available and then selling them. I now realize that they need an amp with real horsepower and after buying the Questyle Twelve amp/dac I appreciate their real value. The LCD2C need some substantial power to properly drive them and when doing so they really come into their own with authority and finesse.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #4,332 of 7,334
I repurchased the LCD2Cs after buying them when they were first available and then selling them. I now realize that they need an amp with real horsepower and after buying the Questyle Twelve amp/dac I appreciate their real value. The LCD2C need some substantial power to properly drive them and when doing so they really come into their own with authority and finesse.

...$1299 probably not iny budget but that's a beautiful amp/DAC.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #4,334 of 7,334
They also make the Beyer T1 come alive. Yes, the Twelve isn’t cheap but it ends the amp/dac journey for the foreseeable future and allows HPs such as the LCD2C to shine.

Looks like a very nice all in one piece. Over 800mw into 300ohm and 2 watt into 32ohm. That's a very consistent output into both high and low resistances. Also uses Akm chips which imo is the better sounding D/S chip at the moment if implemented properly. I've got no idea how the whole current mode amp thing works though. Seems like a really neat tech for driving planars as some have mentioned here

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #4,335 of 7,334
Do you remove the original earpads with the small felt ring or do you somehow seperate them?

EDIT: I managed to remove them without removing the felt rings, don't know if that's correct. I'm waiting for dekoni elite velours to come in, will I have to put them on the felt rings or remove them before applying the pads?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back