Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,291 of 7,334
My 1st audition with the LCD2 is with the IFI Micro Black Label. Impression was so so (limp to be exact). Not sure what went wrong. The store manager restarted the Imac that was connected to it and the results were the same. The store manager tried them himself and mumbled something about synergy. I left the shop disappointed.

After that I auditioned the LCD2C with my Shanling M3s during the pre-order period and was impressed and ordered one on the spot. Got the Massdrop SDAC + LCX now and can say I like this combo a lot.

Now thinking of a R2R DAC + THX 789 or Monoprice Liquid Platinum. Any suggestion?

I'm thinking of maybe putting my Opus 1s for sale and maybe looking for a FIIO again
My 1st audition with the LCD2 is with the IFI Micro Black Label. Impression was so so (limp to be exact). Not sure what went wrong. The store manager restarted the Imac that was connected to it and the results were the same. The store manager tried them himself and mumbled something about synergy. I left the shop disappointed.

After that I auditioned the LCD2C with my Shanling M3s during the pre-order period and was impressed and ordered one on the spot. Got the Massdrop SDAC + LCX now and can say I like this combo a lot.

Now thinking of a R2R DAC + THX 789 or Monoprice Liquid Platinum. Any suggestion?

Did you end up getting a new cable to plug the LCD2C’s into that Massdrop SDAC?

I’m debating on selling my Opus and XDuoo now..I think I may need to go back to FIIO since I think I enjoy a sound I can color and have fun with, but I do love the way the Opus sounds.
I tested out the headphones last night and I am wondering if I’ll be able to get used to the weight and the sealing. I feel like my ears have that popping effect with these headphones.

I was surprised that last night with my portable setup that the music that wowed me the most was Trap music. With the laid back sound of the Opus and the same feeling a bit with the LCD2C”s I thought something like Trap music would suck, but alot of songs had that quick and holographic sound to them. Some songs where like listening to them in a completely different way ( especially with songs from The Doors). Going back and forth with my x2/27s I saw the huge differences that I didn’t when I first posted. The x27s sometimes have a more exciting sound along with the soundstage but I’m guessing thats more due to the pairing of the mp3/amp and maybe quality of the song. Most of the times going back to the x27s had them feeling very thin and like a cloth was over the speakers.

But thas on the portable setup, as soon as I went back to my Imac the x27s can’t come close to the LCD2C’s. All I did was just a tiny bass boost on my imac with an equalizer app and I am still amazed by how completely different the LCD2C’s sound. It really sucks that the Opus 1s’s EQ is pointless in my opinion.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,292 of 7,334
I used to like the X2 a lot of watching movies. It is a well-built headphone, better than a lot of more expensive cans nowadays. Very comfortable too. My ears could get a bit hot due to the earpads though.

In terms of sound fidelity (technicality), it is more in line with AKG K7xx (7XX, 701, 712) level. The 2C bass will destroy the X2 bass with no mercy. But I prefer the X2 to any AKG I tried. Just that it has a v-shapred tonality that some people may not life. Great for movies though.

The 400i and 560 ARE bright and peaky LOL. It doesn't even have a good planar bass. So far, nothing from Focal will be like that, even the Utopia.

I thought you already have the 2C? You were considering to get another one LOL? I don't suggest you get another 6XX, if you already got those. I think it is better if you go for the Elex. It gives different enough flavor for you to diversify. If you have to get another Senns, try the HD600. I prefer HD600 over HD650. But Elex is better for your case, in my opinion.

Maybe the reviewer meant tonality wise, instead of technicality? I would put the Elear and the Clear in one level, technicality wise. But tonality wise, Elear is crappy. Much prefer the Clear.

Pairing is another factor though. The 400i with my Asgard 2 is actually pretty good. Not really peaky at all and has a much better low end compared to my EL amp. The EL amp is a bad pairing with the 400i, and the hd6xx is better with the El amp and not as good with the Asgard 2. This is just my taste though. The Hd6xx is just too grainy and hazy with the asgard, but the 400i is clean and smooth. I actually would be able to live with this pair even without eq. I'm just wondering what would be smooth and warm with the Focal. Maybe the THX? For some reason I think the Asgard 2 is out. It seems to only pair great with planars. Both th LCD2C and 400i work best with the Asgard 2 imo. But the Hd6xx and LCD2C both sound great on the THX. So does the 400i with thx, but not as good as Asgard without eq.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #4,293 of 7,334
I also think micro BL, micro iDSD and the iCan SE all feel a little dull and soundstage is compressed, especially compared to good desktop gears. Not surprised it is not a good match with the 2C. But I prefer the micro iDSD & Black Label compared to the Mojo for my HD650/800.

I think the R2R+789 would be a great combo for the 2C. I hear good things about the Liquid Platinum, but for the 2C, I don't think it will be worth it over the 789. The 2C and 789 are very good pairing imo.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm thinking of maybe putting my Opus 1s for sale and maybe looking for a FIIO again

Did you end up getting a new cable to plug the LCD2C’s into that Massdrop SDAC?

I’m debating on selling my Opus and XDuoo now..I think I may need to go back to FIIO since I think I enjoy a sound I can color and have fun with, but I do love the way the Opus sounds.
I tested out the headphones last night and I am wondering if I’ll be able to get used to the weight and the sealing. I feel like my ears have that popping effect with these headphones.

I was surprised that last night with my portable setup that the music that wowed me the most was Trap music. With the laid back sound of the Opus and the same feeling a bit with the LCD2C”s I thought something like Trap music would suck, but alot of songs had that quick and holographic sound to them. Some songs where like listening to them in a completely different way ( especially with songs from The Doors). Going back and forth with my x2/27s I saw the huge differences that I didn’t when I first posted. The x27s sometimes have a more exciting sound along with the soundstage but I’m guessing thats more due to the pairing of the mp3/amp and maybe quality of the song. Most of the times going back to the x27s had them feeling very thin and like a cloth was over the speakers.

But thas on the portable setup, as soon as I went back to my Imac the x27s can’t come close to the LCD2C’s. All I did was just a tiny bass boost on my imac with an equalizer app and I am still amazed by how completely different the LCD2C’s sound. It really sucks that the Opus 1s’s EQ is pointless in my opinion.

I am using a Norne Draught 3 with my LCD2C. My LCX is better on balanced. So I am not too sure how much difference it made. But I needed a balanced cable so why not.

Mind if I suggest the Mojo for mobile application. That's what the store manager of the shop I pre-ordered the LCD2C recommended. If you like to fiddle with EQ, Lootoo PAW that uses parametric EQ and it has enough power to drive most headphones.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #4,294 of 7,334
Its just a different flavor of the moment really. I think the lcd is the better overall headphone as its got the best bass, the cleanest treble, and the biggest sound stage between the two, but the hd6xx is more relaxed if i had to put it in one word. The treble is relaxed, the bass is relaxed. The sound is closer in, and the weight of the phones themselves is more relaxed. They are good for bedtime listening for me as i can lay back on my pillow and chill and read, where the lcd2c is a little too much for me in that kind of mood.

Even the hifiman he-400i which is not really a favorite of mime has its elements that shine. Particularly when listening to music at lower volumes as the treble and mids are more prominent and bass is just defined enough to get the gist of it without really blasting you. l treat listening to music like eating a meal. Even the best meal will get boring after a while, so i just switch around to spice things up. Just my fickle nature in play.

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. I can see how the 6xx is more laid back and even smoother so maybe less fatiguing. I'll try using the 6xx instead of LCD when I'm working for multiple hours and just want background music. Maybe I'll find value in the 6xx that way. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #4,296 of 7,334
I just noticed this when looking at the schiit website. I think my guess that planars are the headphones of choice on the asgard 2 is pretty spot on. Even schiit has a pic of the asgard hooked up to a pair of hifiman planars in their product pic. This must also be why i liked the lcd2c so much with the asgard 2 as well. Synergy people, Synergy.

upload_2019-1-6_15-53-2.jpeg

From schiit asgard 2 site. Notice the hifimans in the background.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,297 of 7,334
Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Norne Draught 3 with my LCD2C. My LCX is better on balanced. So I am not too sure how much difference it made. But I needed a balanced cable so why not.

Mind if I suggest the Mojo for mobile application. That's what the store manager of the shop I pre-ordered the LCD2C recommended. If you like to fiddle with EQ, Lootoo PAW that uses parametric EQ and it has enough power to drive most headphones.

I thought for a bit that the LCD2C’s stock cable was balanced. I was thinking about the Mojo but the only thing is the power is much lower than the iFi. I might be wrong on this but I think I saw that at 70ohms the Mojo puts 200mw, the iFi 1.2w and the XDUOO puts out 500mw at 32 ohms but I hvae no idea what its putting out at 70ohms.

I do like to just boost the bass a bit to give it a nice rumble and so that I don’t have to push my volume as high (especially since I think the highs are already bright). Plus some Fiio DAP’s have those effects to widen the soundstage a bit which I love. I’ve read that the Sennheisers have a super wide soundstage but it comes at the price of having thin sound. I’ve never heard of Lootoo Daps so I’ll have to check them out.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #4,298 of 7,334
Listening to my LCD2Cs this evening and came to the following realization: Seeking to reposition the phones on my ears some, I noticed that by relieving some of the headband pressure (that is, pressure on the earcups) the tonal balance and bass impact was improved. Has anyone else noticed this?

Joe.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #4,299 of 7,334
I thought for a bit that the LCD2C’s stock cable was balanced. I was thinking about the Mojo but the only thing is the power is much lower than the iFi. I might be wrong on this but I think I saw that at 70ohms the Mojo puts 200mw, the iFi 1.2w and the XDUOO puts out 500mw at 32 ohms but I hvae no idea what its putting out at 70ohms.

I do like to just boost the bass a bit to give it a nice rumble and so that I don’t have to push my volume as high (especially since I think the highs are already bright). Plus some Fiio DAP’s have those effects to widen the soundstage a bit which I love. I’ve read that the Sennheisers have a super wide soundstage but it comes at the price of having thin sound. I’ve never heard of Lootoo Daps so I’ll have to check them out.

Best to try it out yourself. We all hear differently.

I was a basshead too. Maybe still am but appreciate layered and clean bass more. My experience with previous FIIO DAPs was not too satisfactory. I am using Sony WM1A now and that stopped my upgraditis for DAPS. Maybe you can try WM1A too. LCD2C with WM1A balanced is not bad. No as good as my LCX but not too bad.

This hobby is like an adventure. Lot's of things to try out and find out what suits you and hopefully without burning a big hole in your wallet. Cheers.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #4,300 of 7,334
I just noticed this when looking at the schiit website. I think my guess that planars are the headphones of choice on the asgard 2 is pretty spot on. Even schiit has a pic of the asgard hooked up to a pair of hifiman planars in their product pic. This must also be why i liked the lcd2c so much with the asgard 2 as well. Synergy people, Synergy.

From schiit asgard 2 site. Notice the hifimans in the background.
I haven't tried the Asgard yet. But I'm with you on synergy.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #4,301 of 7,334
I haven't tried the Asgard yet. But I'm with you on synergy.
It actually makes the 400i a pretty nice headphone imo. I hate peaky treble and the asgard smooths that out and actually gives the 400i a much better low end as well. It does not turn them into a lcd2c mind you, but does make them sound more like a planar version of the hd6xx which is pretty good imo. Asgard does need a warm up though. I’d always give it an hour or so to get toasty before listening, or 30 min at minimum. Its does get HOT though. Its like the whole thing is a heatsink, evn the pot lol.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #4,302 of 7,334
It actually makes the 400i a pretty nice headphone imo. I hate peaky treble and the asgard smooths that out and actually gives the 400i a much better low end as well. It does not turn them into a lcd2c mind you, but does make them sound more like a planar version of the hd6xx which is pretty good imo. Asgard does need a warm up though. I’d always give it an hour or so to get toasty before listening, or 30 min at minimum. Its does get HOT though. Its like the whole thing is a heatsink, evn the pot lol.
Asgard is full class A. With that kind of casing, not surprised it gets really hot.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,303 of 7,334
Anybody know please if the 60 day free trial is still on please for Roon with Audeze headphones i would like to try it with me LCD2-C. Since im a tidal sub user and i got a pi3 with IQAudio digi plus DAC connected to my Dali kubic one id be intrested in this

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #4,304 of 7,334
Yo:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10620

Double check the size, but Monoprice has several size options right around this big.

I also use this one for a number of headphones, Audeze included, and it's a bit smaller for travel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C/

Has anyone confirmed if either of these cases fit LCD2C? The Amazon one looks nice if the phones will fit in it. Maybe it will take up less room.

I also found a bigger Monoprice case that might be better than the one listed above...? Here's the link for that:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12682

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #4,305 of 7,334
Has anyone confirmed if either of these cases fit LCD2C? The Amazon one looks nice if the phones will fit in it. Maybe it will take up less room.

I also found a bigger Monoprice case that might be better than the one listed above...? Here's the link for that:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12682

The Audeze case measures at 13.5" x 12" x 7" and there is quite a bit of room left in the case as far as length, width, and depth when my LCD2 Classics are in there. So the Monoprice case that measures at 12” x 10” x 8” should be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back