Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #4,261 of 7,324
I wrote that the mids was shouty few month ago here when I compared the classic to the rev2.
Not sure the velours pads will solve it, While it makes the upper mids more even, it eats the lows a bit

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #4,262 of 7,324
I have to recommend the Dekoni Audio Velour pads for these, it just takes them to another level.

FY5IrKxh.jpg

BeByfJHh.jpg

Amazing pair of headphones. Pairs well with Chord Mojo also.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,263 of 7,324
I have to recommend the Dekoni Audio Velour pads for these, it just takes them to another level.

FY5IrKxh.jpg

BeByfJHh.jpg

Amazing pair of headphones. Pairs well with Chord Mojo also.

I am very interested in this, however it would be my first time with a more complicated earpad replacement that is not pop-in and out. I have recently give Audeze Reveal 100% Wet more time and really prefer it to the stock sound. So if these pads help make Reveal less needed that sounds great to me. I listen to mine through a Deckard.

I assume if I do something that messes up the stock pads I can’t even buy new stock pads from Audeze? Just in case. I don’t see replacement pads for these as an option on their website.

Also — is there any sound difference between the Elite Velour vs. the Hybrid pads?

The installation seems easier though. I watched this video today:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #4,264 of 7,324
Brother, the 2C is not mid-centric, if we're talking about the 2khz (upper-mid). It is lower-to-mid mid centric, yes. But it starts to dip at 1.5khz and it is a big dip throughout the upper mid till around 5khz (of course there are units variations as well).

I notice the THX 789 does accentuate the upper-mid though though. I used to raise the 2khz by about 3db using the Loki. Now, I find myself only raising it by 1db and it is enough for me. Quite surprised myself.

Maybe you are used to your 2C's previous setting (prior to the THX 789). So you find yourself toning down that FR. No worries, mate.

This measurement shows the LCD-2C to be mid-centric

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Classic.pdf

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #4,265 of 7,324
I hear the lcd2c as being a bit mid centric, as well. I listen with the objective 02; which is objectively considered to be a neutral amp.
Tyle's frequency response graph shows a rise between 500hz. and 1.5khz.
Rtings graph also shows an elevation at approx. the same frequencies.
I think this is the tuning of the lcd2c, but the main elevation according to these graphs, is at 1khz.

Is this the measurement you are talking about? If So it explains why my eq helps as even though its targeted at 2k, it will pull down all frequencies around it as well as any eq does.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #4,266 of 7,324
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #4,269 of 7,324
This measurement shows the LCD-2C to be mid-centric

That measurement looks dark. Thank God mine has more treble than that.

Btw, sorry for not being clear. Mid is quite wide. I just meant the 2C is not upper-mid centric.

That is what I meant also when I tune up the 2khz
I wanted to bring out more upper mid, but was being careful not to further raise the 1khz area. The Loki has limitations with the 2C. There is no best spot to raise the dip in the upper mid. Same thing with you; you try to tune down the 2khz and end up further recessing the upper-mid as well.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,270 of 7,324
Finally got my LCD-2C’s in today.

Maybe I just had way too much expectations going into these but I wasn’t blown away like I thought I would be. They seem a bit bright and bass is very hit or miss. To get the bass volume I want I have to turn these way too loud and blow out my hearing.

Maybe its not a great pairing? I have the Opus 1s to the XDUOO-XD05. The xd-05 on high gain kicks up the bass but the sound quality really takes a hit. I may have to save up for an IFI Black label amp along with maybe getting FIIO again even though I think the SQ on the Opus is much better. But at the volume I listen to these at they aren’t wowing me like crazy over my Fidelio x2/27’s.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #4,271 of 7,324

Maybe I just had way too much expectations going into these but I wasn’t blown away like I thought I would be. They seem a bit bright and bass is very hit or miss. To get the bass volume I want I have to turn these way too loud and blow out my hearing.

Maybe its not a great pairing? I have the Opus 1s to the XDUOO-XD05. The xd-05 on high gain kicks up the bass but the sound quality really takes a hit. I may have to save up for an IFI Black label amp along with maybe getting FIIO again even though I think the SQ on the Opus is much better. But at the volume I listen to these at they aren’t wowing me like crazy over my Fidelio x2/27’s.
IMO you definitely need something more substantial than portable gear for the 2C. They are another dimension compared to the X2.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,272 of 7,324

Does seem like a strange pairing to be using two portable dac/amps together. I’d suggest getting a dedicated setup. A very cheap setup with power that meets manufacturer specs is the schiit asgard 2 amp paired with the modi 3. $350 total and will drive the LCD2C well. Keep it on low gain for a bit of a bass boom and soft treble, and high gain for punchier bass with more promeant treble. Or just get a schiit loki and adjust to you preference with current equipment. The LCD2C is not going to blow your ears out with bass in stock form even with super powerful amps unless you just crank it way too much. They just represent bass in a more linear and even manner so you can hear all the lows that many phones roll off. They are not like beats by Dre. The loki will help soften mid range as well as treble with its adjustment and i find it nice even with decent amps and dacs in the chain.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #4,273 of 7,324
Does seem like a strange pairing to be using two portable dac/amps together. I’d suggest getting a dedicated setup. A very cheap setup with power that meets manufacturer specs is the schiit asgard 2 amp paired with the modi 3. $350 total and will drive the LCD2C well. Keep it on low gain for a bit of a bass boom and soft treble, and high gain for punchier bass with more promeant treble. Or just get a schiit loki and adjust to you preference with current equipment. The LCD2C is not going to blow your ears out with bass in stock form even with super powerful amps unless you just crank it way too much. They just represent bass in a more linear and even manner so you can hear all the lows that many phones roll off. They are not like beats by Dre. The loki will help soften mid range as well as treble with its adjustment and i find it nice even with decent amps and dacs in the chain.

I got the XDUOO cause the Opus 1s just didn’t have enough bass for my liking. My only problem is that I was looking for a portable setup since I mainly enjoy my music in my bed or sitting outside in the warmer months. For whatever reason I hate sitting at a desk listening to music. With my FIIO x7 and my x27/x2’s I could get some really incredible bass, I kind of miss that player for sure and really wonder if that would help out alot.

The linear bass the 2c’s put out I guess reminds me of how my Opus 1s seems to put out the bass as well. I don’t like the Beats by Dre headphones but I do like my x27/x2s sound but I did want more sound quality.

Maybe for portability I chose the wrong setups and cheaper headphones may actually be better? Going back and forth a bit today the x27s seem to have more bass,widersoundstage but the 2c’s sound quality is much better.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #4,274 of 7,324
I got the XDUOO cause the Opus 1s just didn’t have enough bass for my liking. My only problem is that I was looking for a portable setup since I mainly enjoy my music in my bed or sitting outside in the warmer months. For whatever reason I hate sitting at a desk listening to music. With my FIIO x7 and my x27/x2’s I could get some really incredible bass, I kind of miss that player for sure and really wonder if that would help out alot.

The linear bass the 2c’s put out I guess reminds me of how my Opus 1s seems to put out the bass as well. I don’t like the Beats by Dre headphones but I do like my x27/x2s sound but I did want more sound quality.

Maybe for portability I chose the wrong setups and cheaper headphones may actually be better? Going back and forth a bit today the x27s seem to have more bass,widersoundstage but the 2c’s sound quality is much better.

Oppo HA-2 Can drive the 2C to enjoyable levels and then there is the bass boost option. Or do like I do and just have a really long cable that you can lay in bed while it is plugged into your main setup.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,275 of 7,324
Oh wow. I just hooked my headphones with the xduoo to my iMac, loaded up eqmac2 and ok now I'm seeing the magic.

The separation and bass really stand out and it's really night and day with my portable setup. I can't imagine how a really nice desktop would sound now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back