Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #3,706 of 7,334
How much do you consider should be the price?
I do not own these, I do follow this thread as I am very interested in these lcd-2c, and at some point plan to buy. How much one thinks what a fair price is, is just as personal and complicated as to what sounds good to a individual's ears. We all have different systems, (amps dacs cables & so on) and different ears that like different sounds. Same with cost, we all have different budgets and what we think as a fair price or too much. I for one would never ever pay $3000 + for a set of headphones. While some people do not give it a second thought and pay that and more. There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the individual.
What bothers me about the lcd-classics is the fact that when it first came to market they were priced $200 less than they are now. I would bet that they did not lose any money selling them for that price. So I have been put off from making a purchase at the full retail price since. Am I right, am I wrong, no, there is no right or wrong just my opinion. I do feel if they sold them for that at that time, they could sell them for that now. So I will wait until the price drops or just buy a used pair. Again this is just my humble opinion.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #3,707 of 7,334
I do not own these, I do follow this thread as I am very interested in these lcd-2c, and at some point plan to buy. How much one thinks what a fair price is, is just as personal and complicated as to what sounds good to a individual's ears. We all have different systems, (amps dacs cables & so on) and different ears that like different sounds. Same with cost, we all have different budgets and what we think as a fair price or too much. I for one would never ever pay $3000 + for a set of headphones. While some people do not give it a second thought and pay that and more. There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the individual.
What bothers me about the lcd-classics is the fact that when it first came to market they were priced $200 less than they are now. I would bet that they did not lose any money selling them for that price. So I have been put off from making a purchase at the full retail price since. Am I right, am I wrong, no, there is no right or wrong just my opinion. I do feel if they sold them for that at that time, they could sell them for that now. So I will wait until the price drops or just buy a used pair. Again this is just my humble opinion.
Well said. If these headphone check all the boxes of ones’s preferences and they have the money, let alone $800, people would pay $8000. If someone does not like how they sound, it would be tough to even pay them to listen to the lcd-2c. Its all subjective and relative. We all basically aspire to the same things in our day to day lives as human beings on earth. The only difference is the scale and degree of freedoms each of us are given or attain to pursue these desires.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #3,708 of 7,334
There’s a difference between something being too expensive and not worth for some people and something overpriced. If it’s overpriced it means you can get a product of similar characteristics for less, if you say it’s “way overpriced” you are saying you can get something similar for much less money. I’m not aware of a similar headphone that can be bought for less money.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #3,710 of 7,334
There’s a difference between something being too expensive and not worth for some people and something overpriced. If it’s overpriced it means you can get a product of similar characteristics for less, if you say it’s “way overpriced” you are saying you can get something similar for much less money. I’m not aware of a similar headphone that can be bought for less money.
I tend to agree. IMHO - The value for money on these headphones is great.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #3,711 of 7,334
I just dont get it. With this kind of build quality, you expect $500?

Tell.me, what headphones do you think are worth it at $800 price range?

I think the build quality is great, but I don't think the sound quality is worth it. I'm not sure about which headphones I think are worth it at the $800 price range.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #3,712 of 7,334
I think the build quality is great, but I don't think the sound quality is worth it. I'm not sure about which headphones I think are worth it at the $800 price range.

Boutique audiophile equipment are mostly overpriced because this is a niche market. Mass produced equipment are a lot cheaper, for example Beats. And I still think they are overpriced.

For $800, I can't find another headphones that tick all my boxes. This is the value of this headphone to me that I feel $800 are totally justified. If you want an example of overpriced item, look at Obravo's offerings.

I have an used Eikon too. It's almost double the price of LCD2C. Would owners of Eikons say it's overpriced? I doubt it.

Meant no offence. Just my own opinion.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,713 of 7,334
Boutique audiophile equipment are mostly overpriced because this is a niche market. Mass produced equipment are a lot cheaper, for example Beats. And I still think they are overpriced.

For $800, I can't find another headphones that tick all my boxes. This is the value of this headphone to me that I feel $800 are totally justified. If you want an example of overpriced item, look at Obravo's offerings.

I have an used Eikon too. It's almost double the price of LCD2C. Would owners of Eikons say it's overpriced? I doubt it.

Meant no offence. Just my own opinion.

I actually went to Zach's house and brought my Alpha Prime headphone to do an A/B and found that I preferred the Alpha Prime in mostly every aspect. I bought the Alpha Prime for $400 at that time.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #3,714 of 7,334
We'd all love for them to be cheaper obviously but at $800 I don't think these are overpriced. When you take everything into account like build quality, performance, etcetera the $800 price tag looks to be a fair market price. I know you can get the Elear cheaper now but I feel the 2C is right there with them and the Elear was $1000 when new and most people thought that was a great deal.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,715 of 7,334
I actually went to Zach's house and brought my Alpha Prime headphone to do an A/B and found that I preferred the Alpha Prime in mostly every aspect. I bought the Alpha Prime for $400 at that time.

Good for you. Each's own taste and valuation are different.

I got my LCD2C during pre-order, that's a steal to me.

Got my used Eikon for less than USD800, great value to me.

Alpha Prime from Mr. Speakers? It's MSRP was USD999.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #3,716 of 7,334
Good for you. Each's own taste and valuation are different.

I got my LCD2C during pre-order, that's a steal to me.

Got my used Eikon for less than USD800, great value to me.

Alpha Prime from Mr. Speakers? It's MSRP was USD999.

I'll never buy anything brand new in this hobby. :p

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #3,719 of 7,334
IMO whether a headphone is worth its price depends on personal preference and on the thickness of your wallet. I agree headphone prices in general are crazy $500-$5000. I also think in the $1000-5000 price range it pretty much comes down to personal preference. We need to compare the 2C's price to its competitors to decide whether it is a fair asking price. While in a way it is sad to say a $800 headphone is worth its price I think looking at the current headphone market it is a very good value for money for the average 'audiophile'.

Someone said earlier that the original LCD2 was much cheaper at its release. Well, that release was 8 years ago. The world has changed a lot in 8 years. You need to take into account a few things like general value loss of currencies, potentially more expensive parts (full driver revision in 2016 at Audeze), etc.

Regarding buying new/used audio equipment I also buy most of my stuff secondhand due to the extreme value loss of certain items. (You don't want to loose $400 on a $1000 amp the second you walk out from the shop.) On the other hand I do buy some of my things new for two reasons. One is the warranty which can be quite valuable and the second is to support the existence of my very favourite brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back