Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #2,536 of 7,334
I tried to drive them off my Cayin N5ii's single-ended output today, and it worked surprisingly well. The wonderfully thick bass response was decidedly absent and the soundstage feels less tall, but the mids stepped forward a bit in a pleasant way. It's a different signature which fails to reach some of the LCD-2Cs potential vs. more powerful equipment, but it's enough for me to seriously consider dropping the $100-ish to get a balanced cable and an XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter for the Cayin's more powerful balanced output.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,537 of 7,334
I’ve tried them on the latest gen WA7/tp and Chord Hugo 2 and have zero power issues, each do a great job. I still can’t believe how powerful Chord DACS are and do a great job with LCDs. The WA7 w/tp does great, curious to try a more powerful Woo Audio amp, but it’d require the Chord Hugo 2 as a dedicated DAC on the WA6SE or WA22.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,538 of 7,334
Given the size and weight of lcd2c, one might feel that lcd2c is power hungry and need a powerful amp to drive it up to its potential. But it is a false perception. In fact, it is VERY efficient, much more than aeon flow open which is much smaller and lighter. Rather than looking for more power, I would rather look for better refinement when it comes to an amp selection.

From measurements from Innerfidelity,

LCD2C:
"..With 110mVrms needed to achieve 90dB at the ear, these headphones will be driven to useable levels with a portable source."

AEON FLOW OPEN:
"..With about 250mVrms needed to achieve 90dBspl at the ear these headphone will just barely be driven to a solid listening level with a smartphone."

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,539 of 7,334
People keep quoting this, but I'm telling you from direct first-hand experience that there's a difference between "driven to listenable levels" and "driven to 100% of its dynamic potential". They can absolutely be driven and enjoyed with a lower powered source, but there absolutely will be dynamic potential left on the table.

As I sit and test them between a mobile source, the Asgard 2, and the A100, their dynamic ability scales with the power available. There's a reason Audeze specs the LCD-2C as requiring >100mw but they recommend 1-4w in the manual.

Given the size and weight of lcd2c, one might feel that lcd2c is power hungry and need a powerful amp to drive it up to its potential. But it is a false perception. In fact, it is VERY efficient, much more than aeon flow open which is much smaller and lighter. Rather than looking for more power, I would rather look for better refinement when it comes to an amp selection.

From measurements from Innerfidelity,

LCD2C:
"..With 110mVrms needed to achieve 90dB at the ear, these headphones will be driven to useable levels with a portable source."

AEON FLOW OPEN:
"..With about 250mVrms needed to achieve 90dBspl at the ear these headphone will just barely be driven to a solid listening level with a smartphone."

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,540 of 7,334
People keep quoting this, but I'm telling you from direct first-hand experience that there's a difference between "driven to listenable levels" and "driven to 100% of its dynamic potential". They can absolutely be driven and enjoyed with a lower powered source, but there absolutely will be dynamic potential left on the table.

I know, but if power is a sole concern, you won't need anything more than Magni 3 ($99).

On paper, Magni 3 can provide

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1300mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel

80ohms LCD2C requires substantially small power
LCD2C:

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,541 of 7,334
I was able to borrow a friend's ifi Pro iCAN on Saturday and have it for about a week or two. I was testing a bunch of my headphones SE and Balanced (borrowed Balanced for LCD and Focal, wish I had some an Aeon Balanced cable) to lower output devices. From a few hours of testing these were the setups I tried with LCD-2C, Focal Elear, Aeon Flow Closed, and Campfire Cascade (very minimal testing):

1) AQ Dragonfly 1.2
2) Schiit Jotunheim with built-in DAC (borrowed)
3) Chord Mojo
4) Chord Hugo 2
5) ifi Pro iCAN (borrowed)

I also did a quick test directly from my iPhone with the four headphones listed, and I can say with confidence, all 4 had zero dynamics and sounded like very underpowered headphones. The Cascades shocked me the most as they still had some bass, but it's the Cascades (the iPhone didn't do them justice either).

Starting with the AQD it did a decent job for how small and portable it is but it wasn't enough to any of those headphones to any PRAT enjoyment, no pair had satisfactory bass, and again it didn't have enough power to drive them to their responsible levels. I tried the Schiit with balanced cables on the LCD and Focal, seems to have potential but wasn't impressed as with 4, and 5. Though the Schiit had more power due to balanced cables than the Chord DAC's, I would take the CH2 any day of the week as an amp/DAC combo over the Schiit. Now, this is where things get interesting, after listening to the ifi in SS, Tube, SE and Balanced modes all I can say it I need one of these. Balanced out of the ifi was magical, I focused mostly on the dynamics and bass output and to give LCD-2C's only 110mV is not doing them any justice.

For poops and giggles, sure you can buy a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon and toss all season radials, five people in the vehicle, and 87 Octane in 100+ Octane race mode, but good luck getting 1/2 of the potential out of that kind of performance car. I view the same with most LCD models even the X's and MX4, the Focal outside of the complaints about too much power and the driver crackling from too much excursion they also significantly benefit from an amp like the Pro iCAN with a Balanced cable. No one is going to stop someone buying some HE-6's and letting them run it off a DAP or Oppo HA-2SE, but you're doing them a HUGE injustice; just get the 50-watt 2-channel amp for them...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,543 of 7,334
im listening to the review using my LCD-2C's and i agree that they sound awesome and the most comfortable LCd's ever and other than LCD-4 and that new MX4 i have tried the rest. the headband is not thick but it is awesomely comfortable and those holes are a good idea for lost listening sessions. earpads are also the best. i still wish they were 50 grams lighter that would be perfection.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,545 of 7,334
Mar 26, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,546 of 7,334
There are many new headphones out there which have surpassed LCD2's technical capabilities. But LCD2 still has that creaminess that is very difficult to beat, even after all these years. The (old version, pre-fazor, pre-revision) LCD2 matched with the Leben tube amplifier is one of the best sounds I have heard especially on vocal.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #2,547 of 7,334
Thinking want to upgrade cable for my LCD-2 Classic, but when I check on Q Audio Cables (Q french silk cable manufacturer)
facebook page, they didn’t make any update since 1st of April last year,
NEWPl

is that still available? or any suggestions for other brand?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,548 of 7,334
New review

Very good detailed, frank, sincere video by this guy on LCD2C. I like it. Some of the points he put up is exactly how I would opinionate

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,549 of 7,334
Thinking want to upgrade cable for my LCD-2 Classic, but when I check on Q Audio Cables (Q french silk cable manufacturer)
NEWPl

Only if you NEED to go balanced, Audeze already give you a cable that work well

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,550 of 7,334
NEWPl

Q Audio Cables are still making cables, I’ve bought cables from them and love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back