Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,192 of 7,334
ok i made a statement and i realize i have to specify why.
i am not talking about specs, bass quality/extension, fr etc..... i'm referring to simple feelings. i remember that when i listened to lcd2f i almost forgot i was wearing them (except for the weight of course that is the reason why i ended up selling them). like me girlfriend said "with lcd2f you are INTO the music, with other hps you are sitting "outside" the music".
with lcd2c i listen to the music, i don't feel the music. of course it's a great hp, comfort and build quality are top notch. it's precise and very detailed. it reminds me the lcd3 or a less sparkling lcdx.
a/bing with atticus the atticus is more intimate ,of course a little less airy but still very detailed. i can't decide which i like better.
at 600 it was a no brainer. at 800... aeon open without esitating.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,195 of 7,334
For those curious about what the reveal plugin does, I made a few comparison graphs.

First, here is the 2C FR response as measured by an individual we're not allowed to talk about (and a thank you to him for the measurements of course).
Audeze LCD2C FR.png

Here are measurements for a second pair.
Audeze LCD2C FR_2.png

Here is a graph of the Reveal changes in LCD-2 mode. I intentionally didn't preamp the plugin so you can see what is a "boost" and what is a "cut" more easily.
Reveal_2.png

Here is a graph of the Reveal changes in LCD-2C mode.
Reveal_2C.png

And here is a graph with the two overlayed on top of each other. Red is LCD-2, and green is LCD-2C.
Reveal_comparison.png

What people may not like about the Reveal plugin may be that big boost in the 8-9k area, especially if you have a headphone that more closely resembles the first graph.

Hope this helps!

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,196 of 7,334
Awesome, thank you.

Anyone have a chance to try the 2C out with the new 2C Reveal settings? Excited to try it out this weekend.

The sound is quite good and slightly different with the Reveal plugin (100% Wet) but most of the time I prefer to listen to my music without the plugin.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #2,199 of 7,334
This thing sure need power.
Yes it does. Many mistake ‘loudness’ for power. Even a phone can get them loud. But you need a powerful amp pushing at least 1000mW (1W) into 70ohms to get the real benefit of the LCD’s range and control. Otherwise it’s going to sound ‘off’ and you’re not really getting the best of the sound signature.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #2,200 of 7,334
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #2,201 of 7,334
ok i made a statement and i realize i have to specify why.
i am not talking about specs, bass quality/extension, fr etc..... i'm referring to simple feelings. i remember that when i listened to lcd2f i almost forgot i was wearing them (except for the weight of course that is the reason why i ended up selling them). like me girlfriend said "with lcd2f you are INTO the music, with other hps you are sitting "outside" the music".
with lcd2c i listen to the music, i don't feel the music. of course it's a great hp, comfort and build quality are top notch. it's precise and very detailed. it reminds me the lcd3 or a less sparkling lcdx.
a/bing with atticus the atticus is more intimate ,of course a little less airy but still very detailed. i can't decide which i like better.
at 600 it was a no brainer. at 800... aeon open without esitating.
That is a lot more helpful, thanks. I also feel that the LCD-2F, with the right song, is completely involving and intoxicating. Then again I have no doubt the 2C also has its ‘sweet spot’ songs, that may or may not be the same as the 2F because they emphasize different parts of the spectrum slightly differently. I also agree the Atticus is better than the 2F (and likely the 2C) when t comes to midrange purity like vocals. In fact it has the best midrange of any headphone I’ve ever heard, without sacrificing bass heft or details. Makes a brilliant complementary headphone to the LCD-2.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #2,203 of 7,334
Yes it does. Many mistake ‘loudness’ for power. Even a phone can get them loud. But you need a powerful amp pushing at least 1000mW (1W) into 70ohms to get the real benefit of the LCD’s range and control. Otherwise it’s going to sound ‘off’ and you’re not really getting the best of the sound signature.

I hear this sort of thing a lot. Honest question, not trying to be argumentative, can you please help me understand why this would be the case from an physics/electrical perspective? Per spec, the LCD2C are quite efficient with a sensitivity of 101dB/1mw. According to Audiobot 9000, at 1W, these headphones are producing an SPL of 131db, which is just over the threshold of pain. Audeze's own website recommends >100mW, which comes out to 121db, which is still loud enough to cause instantaneous hearing loss.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #2,204 of 7,334
That is a lot more helpful, thanks. I also feel that the LCD-2F, with the right song, is completely involving and intoxicating. Then again I have no doubt the 2C also has its ‘sweet spot’ songs, that may or may not be the same as the 2F because they emphasize different parts of the spectrum slightly differently. I also agree the Atticus is better than the 2F (and likely the 2C) when t comes to midrange purity like vocals. In fact it has the best midrange of any headphone I’ve ever heard, without sacrificing bass heft or details. Makes a brilliant complementary headphone to the LCD-2.

The only complain abouta atticus is that, probably because it's a closed hp, there is some sort or reverb that is more fatiguing than lcd2c after a few hours listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back