Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,171 of 7,331
I've never understood the mentality of not wanting to EQ. I had someone say something similar when I suggested using a preset to bump the sub bass on the he400i. The way I see it is every headphone is going to have a tone and a character. No headphone in existence is going to have complete tonal neutrality. If it's built well with low distortion and you EQ it without adding much if any, then why the heck would you not? It's only going to make a good headphone even better. Frankly that's one of the best features of this headphone, the distortion levels are ridiculously low.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,172 of 7,331
I've never understood the mentality of not wanting to EQ. I had someone say something similar when I suggested using a preset to bump the sub bass on the he400i. The way I see it is every headphone is going to have a tone and a character. No headphone in existence is going to have complete tonal neutrality. If it's built well with low distortion and you EQ it without adding much if any, then why the heck would you not? It's only going to make a good headphone even better. Frankly that's one of the best features of this headphone, the distortion levels are ridiculously low.

In my case, I find frustrating to get used to some equalized sound signature and then change the equipment (or try someone's else gear) and have to adjust all over again in order to replicate the same EQ preset that I liked, as simply as that.

It's not convenient nor ideal, I find better to have a sound signature that I like straight from the headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #1,173 of 7,331
In my case, I find frustrating to get used to some equalized sound signature and then change the equipment (or try someone's else gear) and have to adjust all over again in order to replicate the same EQ preset that I liked, as simply as that.

It's not convenient nor ideal, I find better to have a sound signature that I like straight from the headphone.

Same, and also having to fiddle with the EQ if a specific genre or album doesn’t mesh well.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,174 of 7,331
Really interesting thoughts here, thank you very much for the feedback!

I'm a single headphone guy (even though I tested, selled and returned many cans), so I'm looking for a definitive all-rounder.

I really like the LCD-2C, from the design and build quality to the comfort and sound perspective, but I find the mids a tad distant and the highs a little too tamed for a classical music listener, despite the bass response and resolution overall is damn good, but I need to turn up the volume more often than I expected... :frowning2:

Which headphone do yo find more suitable for an all-rounder with good capabilities for classical music and low-listening volumes between the AFOs and the Clears, but also great for other genres?
Afo imo is harder to listen to at lower volume vs my lcd2c I think you should go for the clears. But have you looked into the hd800s ?

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,175 of 7,331
Afo imo is harder to listen to at lower volume vs my lcd2c I think you should go for the clears. But have you looked into the hd800s ?

Never heard the HD 800, but I'm interested now.

Even so, I'm a little afraid that they don't fit with my other musical preferences (aside from classical and instrumental/acustic generes, which are my main), and now I'm kinda haunted with the planar's bass response!

Maybe an Hifiman Edition X would be a nice compromise between detail retrival/soundstage and planar's bass response?

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,176 of 7,331
Never heard the HD 800, but I'm interested now.

Even so, I'm a little afraid that they don't fit with my other musical preferences (aside from classical and instrumental/acustic generes, which are my main), and now I'm kinda haunted with the planar's bass response!

Maybe an Hifiman Edition X would be a nice compromise between detail retrival/soundstage and planar's bass response?
Hd800 s version

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,178 of 7,331
I haven't been able to listen to these that much after the first two days as I've been out. Roughly 1-2 hours at the end of night. So I am still reserving specific comments, but I think there should be more discussion on the fit and how tight or loose one should wear these with regards to the yoke position. It definitely changes the sound for me because of the seal as well as the relation of the driver and your pinnae.

I can do about 3-4 yoke changes and still fit inside the earpad. Of course, the weight distribution will play an impact on where you feel the weight depending on the yoke position, so you might be choosing the position based on the comfort factor alone.

I'll wait for others to share on how they find the sound to change as they go from their personal tightest fit possible to their personal loosest possible option, before revealing how I feel about it and my preferences.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,179 of 7,331
Like the previous LCD headbands, you can also play with the clamp by stretching out the headbands (applies to the metal parts) by pulling on the earcups apart as well as on the 2 individual front and back metal bands on the headband. Pay attention to symmetry whenever tweaking.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,180 of 7,331
I've run this out of 4 separate solid state amps with no issues of overly harsh treble... and I'm generally treble sensitive...

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #1,181 of 7,331
I've run this out of 4 separate solid state amps with no issues of overly harsh treble... and I'm generally treble sensitive...
I agree, harsh treble (even bright treble) is not something you’d ever associate which an LCD-2. And I have the 2016F, so the 2C should be even darker if anything.

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #1,182 of 7,331
Yes, the LCD2C is still heavy. In terms of weight it's much better than the previous LCD-2 versions and I really like the new headband, but it's still too heavy to keep it on your head for more than a couple of hours at a time (at least to me). Female vocals IMO sound best on the Clear. They are "clear" and beautiful, not crisp at all nor a bit muddy (LCD2C). I tried Norah Jones, Alison Krauss, and Eliane Elias... all three sounded best on the Clear to me. AFO does a nice job as well, but to me they sound a bit more distant.

Many thanks for the comparisons. From your description about clear, afo, lcd2c, you said you would pick afo due to its versatility. From this, I conjecture that Clear exposes too many flaws (unforgiving) from poorly recorded albums due to its clarity, compared to afo and lcd2c. Am I right?

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,183 of 7,331
Really interesting thoughts here, thank you very much for the feedback!

I'm a single headphone guy (even though I tested, selled and returned many cans), so I'm looking for a definitive all-rounder.

I really like the LCD-2C, from the design and build quality to the comfort and sound perspective, but I find the mids a tad distant and the highs a little too tamed for a classical music listener, despite the bass response and resolution overall is damn good, but I need to turn up the volume more often than I expected... :frowning2:

Which headphone do yo find more suitable for an all-rounder with good capabilities for classical music and low-listening volumes between the AFOs and the Clears, but also great for other genres?

I always thought lcd2 is for rock, metal, edm, or somewhat bass heavy music. I would be surprised if someone uses lcd2c mainly for classical. I owned hd800s and can say it is very good for classical, but the quality of its bass is not as good as planars. afo is mildly warm due to slight bloom in mid-bass, but I wouldn't say its tone is darkish. It is very good for all genres and somewhat forgiving.
That said, I believe there is a better can if you mainly listen classical. Given that many classical albums are well mastered, Clear may perform up to its full potential. Hifiman X may be also a candidate. But given the relatively small price difference between the two, clear will have my 2 cents.

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #1,184 of 7,331
I got my LCD2C couple of days ago. I have couple of other headphone: HE560, HD650, HD800, AH-7200 and W5000. Yes, if you don't use a powerful amp, sound of LCD2C is muddy. I could not play LCD2C with Woo Audio WA7, because the sound is muddy. I just bought LCD2C, because it is one of the lightest Audeze headphone, but still it is heavy. With my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold, the bass is beautiful, rich and creamy. I don't feel any grainy sound. I like LCD2C sound, because I like the slightly dark and rich sound. Aeon is really one of good headphones, but bright to me. I will keep LCD2C.
Compare AH-D7200 and LCD2C: Very similar: AH-d7200 has slight better treble. LCD2C has a little more quantity of deep bass. The mid is almost same. Also, tonality is very similar. But LCD2C is open and I could feel more air in the music and I like it. You could think LCD2C is an open and slightly updated version of AH-D7200. LCD2C has more concrete body of music than D7200. But D7200 has a little more sweet tonality.
D7200 has wider stage than LCD2C. D7200 has a cinema size stage. LCD2C is like a studio size stage.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,185 of 7,331
Compare AH-D7200 and LCD2C: Very similar: AH-d7200 has slight better treble. LCD2C has a little more quantity of deep bass. The mid is almost same. Also, tonality is very similar. But LCD2C is open and I could feel more air in the music and I like it. You could think LCD2C is an open and slightly updated version of AH-D7200. LCD2C has more concrete body of music than D7200. But D7200 has a little more sweet tonality.
D7200 has wider stage than LCD2C. D7200 has a cinema size stage. LCD2C is like a studio size stage.

Thanks for your answer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back