Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #946 of 7,334
Dec 21, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #947 of 7,334
Since I was robbed by my family members in the first hour, I cannot tell if the sound changed during that period, but they've sounded consistent since then. Nobody else mentioned burn-in either, and rightly so. This is a good thing.

The next thing to focus on is the seal and positioning and vertical height set by rods. With HD 800, they would get bright and the character in the mids would change if they were set loose. I didn't enjoy the comfort as much when I was a notch tighter on the HD 800 but it made the sound tighter and less bright. Will try to replicate that on the LCD-2C, but I think I might be limited to 2 yoke slider options. Anything below or above and it will get too loose or too tight. If those yokes were fluid, I think more people on average could achieve a perfect fit.

Suspension Yokes...C'mon Audeze.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #948 of 7,334
Yeah the yokes seem like a pretty antiquated system, but I guess they keep them for that “industrial” look they have going for them.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #949 of 7,334
Does anyone have both the 2C and the Aeon Flow Open, and if so how do they compare?
Yes, I have both. LCD2C is way more open and resolving sounding. Both are non fatiguing and forgiving overall with a warmish tonal balance but the Aeon Flow is not in the same league for serious listening. Fun to listen to but in terms of accuracy and transparency for a more serious listening session it doesn't come close to LCD2C. At $599 introductory price, the LCD2C sets the bar very high.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #950 of 7,334
I own an HD800 with Valhalla 2, and I'm getting the LCD2C as my complimentary pair (I kept some LCD2s for a month and then sold them in anticipation of the C release). Mine are scheduled to show up tomorrow!

For the forseeable future, this is my endgame. I'd like to try Stax, but it'll be way over my budget for a long time. I'd love to return the LCD2s and grab the 3s, but $600 is about the limit of what I feel comfortable putting in something that I know will eventually die. If Audeze's handling of driver death were more reliable I might even sell the HD800s to get them, but alas. As things stand, unless or until I get to hear a real high-end amp with the HD800s this is a setup I could be happy to die with.

I don't need and probably don't want my LCD2s to sound neutral. That's why I went with the Cs instead of getting the $700 deal on 2Fs. I'll use the HD800s mainly for female vocals, acoustic stuff like City & Colour, stuff like The Mars Volta, CHON, Polyphia with lots of treble energy, and anything wide and airy ... and the LCD2's for stuff with heavy 'wall of sound' guitar effects and lots of bass impact. Nine Inch Nails, Swans, Tool, Mastodon ... stuff where raising the treble would also prevent me from blasting it as loud as I want to.

With that said, what's the best amp I can get to power the LCD2s that ...

1. Is preferably under $500, the cheaper and better performance per dollar the better;

2. Focuses on improving the LCD2s in the areas where they already outperform the HD800s, rather than balancing them by complementing their weaknesses (liquidify the mids, improve bass slam and texture, who even cares about treble);

and as a bonus 3., would also pair decently with the HD800s as a second option for bringing out other strengths and flavors in them?

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #953 of 7,334
I own an HD800 with Valhalla 2, and I'm getting the LCD2C as my complimentary pair (I kept some LCD2s for a month and then sold them in anticipation of the C release). Mine are scheduled to show up tomorrow!

For the forseeable future, this is my endgame. I'd like to try Stax, but it'll be way over my budget for a long time. I'd love to return the LCD2s and grab the 3s, but $600 is about the limit of what I feel comfortable putting in something that I know will eventually die. If Audeze's handling of driver death were more reliable I might even sell the HD800s to get them, but alas. As things stand, unless or until I get to hear a real high-end amp with the HD800s this is a setup I could be happy to die with.

I don't need and probably don't want my LCD2s to sound neutral. That's why I went with the Cs instead of getting the $700 deal on 2Fs. I'll use the HD800s mainly for female vocals, acoustic stuff like City & Colour, stuff like The Mars Volta, CHON, Polyphia with lots of treble energy, and anything wide and airy ... and the LCD2's for stuff with heavy 'wall of sound' guitar effects and lots of bass impact. Nine Inch Nails, Swans, Tool, Mastodon ... stuff where raising the treble would also prevent me from blasting it as loud as I want to.

With that said, what's the best amp I can get to power the LCD2s that ...

1. Is preferably under $500, the cheaper and better performance per dollar the better;

2. Focuses on improving the LCD2s in the areas where they already outperform the HD800s, rather than balancing them by complementing their weaknesses (liquidify the mids, improve bass slam and texture, who even cares about treble);

and as a bonus 3., would also pair decently with the HD800s as a second option for bringing out other strengths and flavors in them?
I tried the LCD-2C with Valhalla 2 last night, it is a good pairing, very musical. If your tubes are quiet you are good.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #954 of 7,334
Those with their LCD-2C, I've got an experiment and would like some feedback.

Hold each earcup in one hand from the side, like in this picture: https://598d5fcf392acad97538-395e64...phones-and-tidal-are_a44ffd0d_m.gif?bg=B79A8B

Next, while keeping one side (left or right) locked in place, swivel the other earcup front to back as if rotating in a circle. I'm talking about motion in the horizontal plane. Now repeat with the other side.

They should swivel easily in a certain range after which they will stop and you can feel the pressure from the swivel. Are the swivel patterns the same on both side? Is one able to swivel more in one direction than the other? Like the right earcup might be able to swivel more forward, whereas the left earcup can swivel more in backward direction? Or are they equally balanced?

I hope I made sense.

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #955 of 7,334

Hold each earcup in one hand from the side, like in this picture: https://598d5fcf392acad97538-395e64...phones-and-tidal-are_a44ffd0d_m.gif?bg=B79A8B

Next, while keeping one side (left or right) locked in place, swivel the other earcup front to back as if rotating in a circle. I'm talking about motion in the horizontal plane. Now repeat with the other side.

They should swivel easily in a certain range after which they will stop and you can feel the pressure from the swivel. Are the swivel patterns the same on both side? Is one able to swivel more in one direction than the other? Like the right earcup might be able to swivel more forward, whereas the left earcup can swivel more in backward direction? Or are they equally balanced?

I hope I made sense.
Seems equal to me

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #956 of 7,334

I hope I made sense.

Mine are equally balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back