Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #753 of 7,334
Wow, someone else has hpa-3 B. It is a great amp at least to my ears. It's amusing that the liquid carbon and the Jot get so much attention and praise compared to the 3B. Really thinking about getting a pair of these classics, just a little worried about the weight.
Yes it’s a fantastic amp indeed. I wouldn’t worry about the weight with the new headband.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #754 of 7,334
Brilliant minds think alike! Rumor has it that the Deckard is an OEM version of the 3B...
It’s not a rumor - Matrix OEMs the Deckard for Audeze. Except the Audeze is a modified HPA-3U (single ended with dac). The 3B is more powerful with better parts, and fully end-to-end balanced, so a good dac paired with the 3B is in most ways better than the Deckard (that’s the route I took).

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #756 of 7,334
Just caught up to the thread. Exciting stuff, and awesome photos. Glad to see they are fulfilling my wishes for a warmer more musical headphone.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #757 of 7,334
Got these in this morning....

Very early impressions:

1. Extremely well built - it has a nice black matte finish that is resistant to fingerprints and everything is tight and solid feeling; cable is the same newer braided one included with the updated LCD-2 and is of good quality and not prone to tangling.

2. Comfort is excellent - never thought I'd say that about an Audeze headphone. It does feel a bit lighter than the LCD-2 and the pads seem softer/squishier in density (but texture is not as supple or smooth as the real leather, of course).

3. It seems to have a nicely balanced tone, and the bass is not in any way bloated or overpowering. I actually don't find it very warm at all (maybe a tad just in comparison to the LCD-2) but maybe because I prefer this sound signature and my ears are trained differently. The detail and spaciousness is still there. I don't know what the customary burn-in time is for Audeze headphones but we'll see if there are subtle changes. I must admit to not being a big believer in burn-in though. ***I have only tried it so far with a Pico HeadAmp portable amp connected to my iPhone. I have to wait until tonight to try it with desk top amps (Lyr 2 and Violectric V100).

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #758 of 7,334
My pair came in this morning. I've only had about 30 min of listening in this morning, cold and straight from the box. I would be very surprised if the LCD-2C does not get stellar reviews. I have Focal Utopia, Elear, Aeon Flow, HD600, HD650 to compare to. My headphone system is Roon/Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC/Bryston BHA-1, Violectric V281. The LCD-2C sounds closer to 2 channel listening than the others, airy and spacious soundstage with well focused images, probably the most "out of headphone" listening experience out of all my headphones. Tonal balance is very pleasant. A bit warmish, not excessively so, which does not take away from enjoyment but just the opposite, makes them sound smooth and musical. They remind me of the Aeon Flow in terms of tonal balance, timbre, non fatiguing and musical sonic signature but sound more open, airy and resolving by comparison to Aeon Flow. I can see the LCD-2C appealing to many discerning ears and they definitely punch way above their introductory price. Nicely done Audeze. Enjoy! :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #761 of 7,334
My pair came in this morning. I've only had about 30 min of listening in this morning, cold and straight from the box. I would be very surprised if the LCD-2C does not get stellar reviews. I have Focal Utopia, Elear, Aeon Flow, HD600, HD650 to compare to. My headphone system is Roon/Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC/Bryston BHA-1, Violectric V281. The LCD-2C sounds closer to 2 channel listening than the others, airy and spacious soundstage with well focused images, probably the most "out of headphone" listening experience out of all my headphones. Tonal balance is very pleasant. A bit warmish, not excessively so, which does not take away from enjoyment but just the opposite, makes them sound smooth and musical. They remind me of the Aeon Flow in terms of tonal balance, timbre, non fatiguing and musical sonic signature but sound more open, airy and resolving by comparison to Aeon Flow. I can see the LCD-2C appealing to many discerning ears and they definitely punch way above their introductory price. Nicely done Audeze. Enjoy! :)
I also have v281 and LCD-2C incoming this Friday. I would love to hear more on how well they pair up together.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #762 of 7,334
Will have to add an observation that the LCD-2C seems like it does require lots of current and overhead reserve from the partnering headphone amp to sound its best. Also the first time I felt like it would not be necessary to go for an upgrade cable, there is no typical haziness and fogginess from the stock cable. :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #763 of 7,334
Will have to add an observation that the LCD-2C seems like it does require lots of current and overhead reserve from the partnering headphone amp to sound its best. Also the first time I felt like it would not be necessary to go for an upgrade cable, there is no typical haziness and fogginess from the stock cable. :)
You have their stock XLR cable or SE?

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #764 of 7,334
Typically when the headphones are not current hungry, as you turn the volume knob up they get louder fast as the small voltage differences makes them get up and go. The more sensitivity the faster that happens but they get loud and start to sound overdriven within a certain window/zone of SPL of their comfort/tuning. The LCD-2C ramps up by getting not so much louder but more effortless, dynamic and open before it gets to the loud zone. It gobbles up current and wants more.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #765 of 7,334
You have their stock XLR cable or SE?
Stock SE so far. Sounds great. BHA-1 puts out quite a bit of power into SE and even more so into Balanced. Not saying you absolutely NEED a very powerful amp, just saying to my ears the LCD-2C sounds like it will appreciate overhead from a robust headphone amp with lots of current on reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back