Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #31 of 7,334
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 7,334
It will be great to see Aeon Open vs HE 560 vs LCD-2C

I think there are other headphones that may be more apt for comparison here than the HE-560s which can be had new for outrageously low prices these days (350 bucks new at sdicraft for example) - I think for example the Elear will be hanging around the 600-700 range very soon, the Edition X are also pretty cheap by now (850~ bucks at sdicraft again for the V2, the V1s go for around that in many other places) and will probably continue to go down since HiFiMan loves to pump out new models.

To me, as someone who was and still is deeply connected to the sound of my original LCD-2s, I'm hoping these live up to the expectations and am hoping to pick up a pair at a European retailer soon enough. However, I fear the AEON Open may be too tough of an opponent to beat; Dan Clark is a highly intelligent designer and a great businessman who has been doing exactly what he knows he should for a couple years now.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 7,334
Why didn't they go with the triangle connectors? Even the LCD-2.2 eventually got them. They instead went with the original square entry points. I remember cabling was easier with the triangular versions and didn't hit your shoulder.

From the looks of it they pushed the square entry point up a little further to prevent the cables from hitting your shoulders.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #37 of 7,334
These will probably eat much of the Monoprice1060+VeganPads & HE560 market

Yeah, exactly. My 'spare' set of 'phones is the HE-560. I love them. A ton. I have always expected to hold onto them, but this Classic LCD-2 triggered that familiar impulse that has led to the good ol' 'sideways' gear trade just to have something new, fresh, exciting. And hope I don't regret it in the end. :)

Certainly taking the time to actually save my pennies over time from my poor man's job and buying an LCD-X stopped the above described scenario. Well, it slowed it. But old habits die hard.........whatever the case, I always intend to keep a very, very nice set of backup phones. I have NEVER had any issue with my LCD-X drivers, but I know with my personal karma, as soon as I were down to the X only... well, you know the rest of the story.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #38 of 7,334
The LCD2C were a highlight for overall value. To me, they sounded a tad less bass heavy than my LCD2r1s. I spent some time at the table talking with Sankar about them. From what I recall, these are the old LCD2 drivers (non-fazor) with a new and thinner diaphragm. Weight was significantly reduced. I really liked them; even after swapping back and forth with the LCD4s. I was thinking about a new Office set of the isine20s prior to hearing the LCD2Cs and was amazed when Sankar said they would list for $599 as a direct sale item!

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #39 of 7,334
The LCD2C were a highlight for overall value. To me, they sounded a tad less bass heavy than my LCD2r1s. I spent some time at the table talking with Sankar about them. From what I recall, these are the old LCD2 drivers (non-fazor) with a new and thinner diaphragm. Weight was significantly reduced. I really liked them; even after swapping back and forth with the LCD4s. I was thinking about a new Office set of the isine20s prior to hearing the LCD2Cs and was amazed when Sankar said they would list for $599 as a direct sale item!
Although I'm no fan of the LCD-4's SQ (where'd the treble go?) for $4000, if the LCD-2C can get somewhat close to their SQ level for $600, then that would be a much better price-to-performance ratio.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #40 of 7,334
This release will directly challenge the MrSpeakers Aeon! So excited hohohohohoho.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #41 of 7,334
This release will directly challenge the MrSpeakers Aeon! So excited hohohohohoho.

Bring the challenge, one and all! All this competition makes things better for all of us. The recent developments in the 300 to 600 or so US dollar range over the last few years represent a large reshaping of this hobby. We have come a long way from the days when the venerable (and still quite awesome) Sennheiser HD650 was the one with just a few potential competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back