Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #5,371 of 7,324
Audeze phones sound very different and small updates happen a lot.

2010-2011 - Very dark, lush, syrupy sound with great bass body and extension. The sound is wonderfully addictive.

2012-2013 - More treble energy, slightly leaner, not as lush and addictive but the trade off is a headphone with a lighter more quicker sound.

2014 - worst Audeze I've heard, bass roll off and weird timbre.

Late 2015 -2016 - I had three units one metal one and 2 Shedua woods. The two Sheduas had different sounds but both had a weird compressed sound, cloudy and vocals sounded really thin and lifeless. Bass was limp but had good extension. The treble on the first Shedua wood had a weird peak while the other was fairly smooth in the treble. The Allu LCD-2F 2016 sounded like the Shedua without the treble peak.

2019 bamboo - similar to the Shedua(without peak) the mids are weird vocals lack body the timbre is very plastic, similar to the original K701. The bass is more similar to the LCD-2C.

LCD-2 Classic - to me sounds different to any other of the LCD-2s it isn't lush and romantic and is a more grainy unrefined Audeze but it's very dynamic, quick sounding with great bass impact. It has slightly more body than the fazor variant but is less refined in some areas.

I wish Audeze would go back to the 2010-2011 type of sound personally and called the LCD-2C the LCD-X2 or something like that because it sounds better than any X variant I've heard and pit on the work to bring back that true classic sound.
You know your Audezes very well, mate.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,373 of 7,324
In 2014 when the Fazor models were first introduced they had a sub bass roll off. I've no ideal why. In late 2015(people called these the 2016 drivers) the sub nass was bought back to being linear down to 20hz.

But why do you target 2019 Bamboos? From what I gather, the choice in wood is just cosmetic: it's a particular tone of wood that's well outside the actual headphone driver. Are you suggesting that what you don't like about 2019 bamboos in particular are an individual driver? That seems counter intuitive as the manufacturing of LCD-2fs have a particular tolerance that gets passed and sold (and one's choice in outside wood doesn't influence sound).

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #5,374 of 7,324
But why do you target 2019 Bamboos? From what I gather, the choice in wood is just cosmetic: it's a particular tone of wood that's well outside the actual headphone driver. Are you suggesting that what you don't like about 2019 bamboos in particular are an individual driver? That seems counter intuitive as the manufacturing of LCD-2fs have a particular tolerance that gets passed and sold.
I judge every Audeze by their specific unit because there still is a lot of variation with Audeze headphones. They have some of the worst driver variation I've seen in a headphone. The housing is just me personally calling them that.

I've had 2 LCD-2Cs both sounded different enough to the point I preferred one over the other for example.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #5,375 of 7,324
I judge every Audeze by their specific unit because there still is a lot of variation with Audeze headphones. They have some of the worst driver variation I've seen in a headphone. The housing is just me personally calling them that.

I've had 2 LCD-2Cs both sounded different enough to the point I preferred one over the other for example.

I don't think I would have picked out such differences....but it seems you're now indicating it's not so much "bamboo" series but every headphone is different. Not sure then how you can make an assumption about every year's driver if you think there is such variation.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #5,376 of 7,324
I don't think I would have picked out such differences....but it seems you're now indicating it's not so much "bamboo" series but every headphone is different. Not sure then how you can make an assumption about every year's driver if you think there is such variation.
I don't think you understand how the Audeze variation works. Of course there's going to be similarities it's the same driver so the character is the same but they do vary..I.e some drivers have better leading edge and make may have peaks and dips and vary in resolve.

You've gotta bear in mind Audeze is always changing things too. Due to the variation EQ setting would be needes for individual units.

It wasnt difficult to tell them apart personally. I'm not sure why you're so fixated on the bamboo series I never singled them out.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #5,377 of 7,324
I don't think you understand how the Audeze variation works. Of course there's going to be similarities it's the same driver so the character is the same but they do vary..I.e some drivers have better leading edge and make may have peaks and dips and vary in resolve.

You've gotta bear in mind Audeze is always changing things too. Due to the variation EQ setting would be needes for individual units.

It wasnt difficult to tell them apart personally. I'm not sure why you're so fixated on the bamboo series I never singled them out.

Thanks for assuming what I know. I do know that all name brand manufacturers do have a particular tolerance as to how all their drivers should be, and they even have a small tolerance for matching the same drivers for left and right with your headphones. I can't see how Audeze, then, would have a wide variance with all their drivers when they do have to match pairs of them. And as for bamboo: I'm not fixated: you're the one who said 2019 bamboos had odd mids. I'm the one calling you out on how a wood isn't part of the series, and revealing how you believe all LCDs individually vary.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #5,378 of 7,324
Must've missed the part where I said the 2016 drivers had a weirdness too....and similar to the 2019.

You're not calling me out on anything, I'm well aware that the wood has no effect, did you not read my previous comment? Obviously not SMH.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #5,380 of 7,324
Must've missed the part where I said the 2016 drivers had a weirdness too....and similar to the 2019.

You're not calling me out on anything, I'm well aware that the wood has no effect, did you not read my previous comment? Obviously not SMH.

This is what you said:

2019 bamboo - similar to the Shedua(without peak) the mids are weird vocals lack body the timbre is very plastic, similar to the original K701. The bass is more similar to the LCD-2C.

You're targeting bamboo wood model for some reason, not saying anything about sub bass, and comparing overall sound to 701s (which as previous statements, I found odd).

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #5,381 of 7,324
They are a quiet one haha.

Did you guys hear about the LCD-1? I'm hearing good things about it.
They never really address things directly haha. I'm deffo giving the LCD-1 a try soon as possible :)

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #5,382 of 7,324
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #5,383 of 7,324
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #5,385 of 7,324
I'd like to hear your impressions of LCD2 and LCD2C and LCD1 for sure. I'm so torn on which one to get. I'm hoping they do a 20% off again.
As per Raptor's summary on Audeze sound above, and unless you like the current upper-mid dip and uneven treble (which I dont mind as a flavor), seems to me that you should wait for the LCD-1.

I do hope that Audeze addresses their driver variation issue. They already got build quality and reliability issues right.

On sound, I prefer them to choose either (1) warm and yummy like the old Audeze, or (2) neutral. Not something in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back