Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,861 of 7,331
Sonically definitely attractive, but physically it looks a bit of a rough cut...
Yeah I agree I prefer the classics for the headband etc. In person they look better than pictures but I prefer the look of Audeze phones. If you like old school planars you’ll love these.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4,862 of 7,331
For some reason I decided to try my LCD-2C with my Meier Corda Jazz-ff headamp.

I didn't expect this, but it sounds fantastic!

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #4,863 of 7,331
And which Dynamic drivers are these? Because with EQ and power, the 2C will deliver. More so, than say the Purple Heart Fostex , but less than a JVC SZ2K.

So which dynamic drivers are you referring to?

I just cannot agree that the 2C has the same bass punch as the X00 or Teak etc. Don't get me wrong the 2C are very good overall, but compared to CLOSED dynamic headphones, they do not have very punchy bass. Compared to OPEN dynamic headphones they would win there.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,864 of 7,331
Someone heard it with Sony amp TA-ZH1ES?

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #4,865 of 7,331
Close back or semi close back will rise the bass but at a price: resonance. You have the sound from the front of the driver and the resonance of the back in the earcup. The way the sound is tamed / vented in the earcup will modify the FR of the headphone, but generally absorption gets less effective when the frequency goes down. That's why you have a bass boost, but with added distortion and phase issue.
So with closed back you clearly raise the cursor on the bass quantity in detriment of the quality.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4,866 of 7,331
Close back or semi close back will rise the bass but at a price: resonance. You have the sound from the front of the driver and the resonance of the back in the earcup. The way the sound is tamed / vented in the earcup will modify the FR of the headphone, but generally absorption gets less effective when the frequency goes down. That's why you have a bass boost, but with added distortion and phase issue.
So with closed back you clearly raise the cursor on the bass quantity in detriment of the quality.

My argument for that would be, houses have walls. I kinda dislike a completely steril sounding bass, It's good, but it gets to ya after a while. More or less the reason my 2C are bass boosted.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,867 of 7,331

I like the bass on the 2C, but I would have to say I enjoy the bass on modded X00 or Teak, more than 2C....

I know the 2C is technically better, I also can hear the cup resonance on the closed headphones, BUT the bass just sounds "nicer" and more enjoyable to me.

I guess like some people like tubes, which are "objectively" more distorted and "worse" than solid state, BUT some people prefer the sound. Nobody is wrong because at the end of the day that is the most important thing.

It would be very close as to which I like best, but overall I would have to say the X00 / Teak (with driver mod) for bass enjoyment factor!

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #4,868 of 7,331
I like the bass on the 2C, but I would have to say I enjoy the bass on modded X00 or Teak, more than 2C....

I know the 2C is technically better, I also can hear the cup resonance on the closed headphones, BUT the bass just sounds "nicer" and more enjoyable to me.

I guess like some people like tubes, which are "objectively" more distorted and "worse" than solid state, BUT some people prefer the sound. Nobody is wrong because at the end of the day that is the most important thing.

It would be very close as to which I like best, but overall I would have to say the X00 / Teak (with driver mod) for bass enjoyment factor!
Yes exactly we could compare it to tubes, which isn't my cup of tea.
Don't get me wrong, I used tubes in studio, particularly tube compressor on female vocals, it kills sibilance by saturating treble spikes and it gives a warmth to it, But tubes on all my music is not for me. It's a bit like adding ketchup to all my food, it's getting boring because everything has the same taste. That's why I like purity, I want to hear the music, not the dac/amp/headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #4,869 of 7,331
Don't get me wrong, I used tubes in studio, particularly tube compressor on female vocals, it kills sibilance by saturating treble spikes and it gives a warmth to it, But tubes on all my music is not for me. It's a bit like adding ketchup to all my food, it's getting boring because everything has the same taste. That's why I like purity, I want to hear the music, not the dac/amp/headphone.
I get what you’re saying and everyone has their likes. But I have to respectfully disagree about tubes sounding the same. Quite the contrary. Granted, roiling in different tubes isn’t world changing, but said changes are apperant and tweaks the sound enough that there’s a noticeable difference. It’s kinda like comparing certain headphones where diminishing returns kick in where you get that extra 5-10% out of the comparative HP’s.

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #4,870 of 7,331

Well I have never used tubes, I don't know what they sound like, but I use solid state because I have read it has cleaner bass and is more accurate in general, so its not as if I like tubes or distorted sound, I just find the bass on the Fostex closed headphones more "fun"... Is it technically better than the 2C? No it is not, but I do find it possibly more enjoyable, especially with the driver mods, without the mods it was too bloated sounding.

It is pretty much close to a draw though, both are good in different ways, they are very different, completely flat, undistorted, not hugely punchy VS some cup resonance, very punchy, somewhat "nicer" or more "fun" sounding, overall both are good.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #4,871 of 7,331
Hi, I've recently bought lcd2c in a good condition. I love the bottomless punchy bass and its non-fatiguing tonality. However I have a feeling the drivers are more capable (imaging, detail) and I want to try to put 3D printed fazors. Anyone has some experience with trying this mod, or even comparing fazor vs non-fazor lcd2? I've seen only a few impressions so far.

3D model available here (measurements of lcd2 by BMF included).
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/waveguide-for-lcd2-2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28
- all credits to zgliszcz

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #4,873 of 7,331
Sure, when they bring out the next update :wink:

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4,874 of 7,331
Any chance these will ever be $599 again ?

Yes. Audeze has run sales on its own site and through official vendors from time to time. You can also find b-stock Audezes or flash sales through Audio46 or Adorama, to name a few. November will be a good time to look for a pair, but things pop up all the time, too. You can also phone brick and mortar stores and request a discount. That works surprisingly often (although, to be fair, working even once surprised me).

While, of course, none of this guarantees you will ever find an LCD-2C for significantly less than MSRP, I think it's highly likely that we'll start seeing deals for these pop up, as they do with just about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back