Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,601 of 7,334
Wellp, I have been playing with the loki + LCD2C and it's kind of mixed bag, depending on what you are listening to. +6 DB seems like a reasonable amount to keep on at all time anything more than that and it only works for very specific cases. All the other frequencies seem to be a bit too broad and off for anything to add to the LCD2C.
I found it amusing how I was watching and older show and adding the whole +12 DB made it more energetic, like it had a fake Dynamic range. :D I was thinking it is not far stretched. You got a lot of bass, you got mids in well the middle and you got highs that fall down a bit. For recordings that pretty much plays the same volume across the board, it might add some extra fun to be had.
In any case +6 DB is just enough to bring out the low end. May not be enough for a basshead like me, but can't do any more with the loki drags too far off into the mids. But Yeah +6 is good enough to make Nara sounds like it should, otherwise it sounds a bit flat.

Incidentally I found out that Ningen isu sound really good on the LCD2C.

And while casually surfing the interwebs I found out that Plantronics has finally updated their "Sport" range of headphones/Earbuds and now I can finally upgrade my original Backbeat fit to their newer ones that don't have the band that goes across the back the Backbeat fit 3100. Apparently they haven't done much to the sound judging by the reviews and that is good, I like the way they sound. Far too underrated earbuds. What is more the original went down only to 50Hz, the new ones go all the way 20Hz, there were few songs that did lack in that last bit of a stretch.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,602 of 7,334
It's been a week and I've only listened to the LCD-2C and it is hitting all the right notes for me. I did compare it to my Elear and as we know it is darker but not overly so and while the Elear has really good bass it can't compete with the 2C. Besides the bass, I'm really enjoying the mids because they're full smooth and balanced. Highs are coming through more but I think that's more from me getting used to the signature than any break-in or something.

On the comfort side, I felt like in the beginning the clamping force might be a bit strong but as time went on they felt better and better and it's now to the point where I can wear them for 3 or 4 hours no problem. The vegan pads are very nice and even though these types of pads normally make my ears get hot I don't have that happening with these which is great.

Even though we never really get that "end-game" headphone I know for certain that I'm not getting a new one for quite some time. Between these and my Elear I quite content at the moment, plus it's always nice to give my wallet a rest. At the $799 price point, I'd say the LCD-2C is easily one of the best sub $1000 headphones and well worth a listen if you're looking for a new one.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,603 of 7,334
Can anyone compare the Elex to the LDC-2C? Right now I'm torn between those two. Reading that the Elex sounds different than the Elear, so not sure if the Elear comparison above really makes sense.

Ideally I'm looking for a fun and revealing phone that's a bit airy like my Sine, but with less high end treble, so smoother. And great and tight bass slam. And wide Soundstage would be nice. The Sine is too closed in. My 6xx are too smooth and laid back for me, although nice for all day listening. I need 6xx, Rev. Fun. Or something like that.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #3,604 of 7,334
Can anyone compare the Elex to the LDC-2C? Right now I'm torn between those two. Reading that the Elex sounds different than the Elear, so not sure if the Elear comparison above really makes sense.

Ideally I'm looking for a fun and revealing phone that's a bit airy like my Sine, but with less high end treble, so smoother. And great and tight bass slam. And wide Soundstage would be nice. The Sine is too closed in. My 6xx are too smooth and laid back for me, although nice for all day listening. I need 6xx, Rev. Fun. Or something like that.

Well, the LCD-2C has a more narrow soundstage so that might not be what you're looking for. I was one that always thought I had to have a wide soundstage until I got the Elear which isn't wide but has very good depth and found that depth is more important to me.

As for the Elex it sounds pretty much exactly the same as the Elear, I know because I've heard them. The thing about the Elear and Elex is they are very dynamic and a bit in your face but in a good way. They also sound their best at a higher volume, where I find the LCD-2C sounds good at any volume I listen to them. The LCD-2C is smooth, vivid with good detail and the bass is tight with great depth. I really don't think you can go wrong with either but if you're wanting a smooth headphone with good bass the LCD-2C fits the bill imo.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #3,606 of 7,334
Has anyone used the new Schiit Lyr 3 with the 2C? I might not be looking for any more headphones but I'm looking to upgrade my equipment. I use the Magni 3 with my Mimby and it sounds great but I'd like to know how the Lyr 3 hybrid sounds, plus it has a sh!t load of power which is always good for planars. If there are any other good hybrids people are using in the same price range let me know.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #3,607 of 7,334
Has anyone used the new Schiit Lyr 3 with the 2C? I might not be looking for any more headphones but I'm looking to upgrade my equipment. I use the Magni 3 with my Mimby and it sounds great but I'd like to know how the Lyr 3 hybrid sounds, plus it has a sh!t load of power which is always good for planars. If there are any other good hybrids people are using in the same price range let me know.

You might already know about it, but the thx aaa linear amp on massdrop might be a good amp to try. I’m waiting for it specially for my 2C since its got good power in balanced with ridiculously low distortion

I’m also waiting on my magni 3 to get the volume pot fixed and also have a Mimby on the way to pair with it. Do you have any other dac/amp combos to compare the schiit stack with on your 2C?

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #3,609 of 7,334
You might already know about it, but the thx aaa linear amp on massdrop might be a good amp to try. I’m waiting for it specially for my 2C since its got good power in balanced with ridiculously low distortion

I’m also waiting on my magni 3 to get the volume pot fixed and also have a Mimby on the way to pair with it. Do you have any other dac/amp combos to compare the schiit stack with on your 2C?
^^ I am also on the fence with whether to get the Lyr 3 or just a Vali 2 with my mimby to drive my LCD 2c’s that I just got last week!

The L3 is top of my budget especially since I have to add in $100-$150 to get the right tube since this will be my first tube amp.
I think the powerhouse that the L3 has is overkill for these headphones and the 1-1.3 watts the Vali 2 has will be plenty but I’m guessing the internals of the L3 are far supieror but is it worth 2.5x the price?

I actually have read a few people say that if you don’t need balanced the L3 is superior to the schiit Mj2 hybrid amp

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #3,611 of 7,334
You know I don't need to spend $500 on a new amp because the Magni 3 is a great little amp and pairs really well with the Mimby. I don't need the warmth of a tube amp we all know the 2C isn't lacking in that area. If I do decide to get a hybrid I think I'd try the Vali 2 first to see if that would be something I'd like to pair with the 2C and upgrade from there if needed.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #3,612 of 7,334
I use the Lyr 3 and the lcd2c. I upgraded from the nimby and vali 2 to the LYR 3. I am glad I made the upgrade. I really enjoy this setup with a vintage ken-rad vt-231 and a Westinghouse d getter tube.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,613 of 7,334

Gets ghoosebumps everytime i hear the guitar playing :) Its just amazing.

Didn't think I would watch it until the end but I got sucked into melodic guitar playing of Tommy Morello. I miss him from his Rage Against the Machine days. Fantastic video

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #3,614 of 7,334
To complete my Schiit stack (Magni 3/Mimby) I'm going to get the Loki controller. I know it's not something I need but it will be much better than my EQ on the X5II which is what I use the most as my source, plus messing with knobs is always fun.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #3,615 of 7,334
To complete my Schiit stack (Magni 3/Mimby) I'm going to get the Loki controller. I know it's not something I need but it will be much better than my EQ on the X5II which is what I use the most as my source, plus messing with knobs is always fun.

I hope I don't need to , but this will be the last thing I try(Loki) to get the sound right if I still don't like the magni 3 when I get the Mimby for it. I will be lots more spent total than I wanted, but at least it will be tweak-able and possibly more fulfilling in the long term when paired with different headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back