1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Oct 7, 2017.
First

Back
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199
Next

Last
  1. chef8489
    There has been a lot of talk about the mids in this thread. What exactly do you want to know?

2. LaCuffia
    I was actually exchanging PM's with someone on this topic - I'll just post part of what I said:

The AFO gives me the impression that is warmer, with a stronger bass presence and less sparkle up top. It also more intimate or closed sounding than the 2C. It doesn't sound like an open headphone in the traditional sense. For this reason, the 2C seemed like it had a larger sound stage but not by much. They are probably more similar than different. If you listen to more rock and modern music, then the AFO might be the better option because of the bass emphasis. It's interesting that some people view the 2C as darker, but that's not the case from my memory. I think the 2C is also easier to drive and, from what I understand, pairs well with tubes (it was nice with the Lyr 2 I had). The AFO seems to be better with solid state amps with a lot of power.

3. Sound Eq
    for male vocals do they sound full or thin, compared to lcd2 or lcdx

4. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    Recessed upper mids, bad for female vocals. Lower mids are fine unless the track is busy (Linkin Park's "What I've Done" from 2:03 to 2:24, Chester's voice falls behind the guitar). If you're looking for great mids I'll be honest with you: these aren't it. This is part of the reason why I'm looking to upgrade to the X.

5. Sound Eq
    that song sounds perfect on hifiman he x v2, as it seems he x v2 is mid focused, but i was looking for more bass punch to come from x v2, the vocals in that song on x v2 are spot on and recessed at all, i can easily use the ifi bass boost to add more punch to x v2

by the way i had lcd x 2017 and it does not have mids as he x v2 at all, so you might want to reconsider your choice bout lcd x, so compared to lcd x vs he x v2 to songs like linkin park I prefer he x v2 alot more. One more light sounds amazing on he x v2

i use ifi pro can on low gain with my he x v2 and mojo as a dac and sometimes ifi dsd black label as a dac

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  6. chef8489
    I think the mids are very amp dependent. They are far better than the hd650 or the k7xx. They are a bit less than the Aeon open but not by much. Female vocales are some of my favorite music especially symphonic or gothic rock. They handle it quite well especially with my Lyr 3.

phthora likes this.
  7. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    I've had mine on a Fulla 2, a Magni 3, & now a CTH. The CTH does bring them forward a bit, but that second sentence, yeah we're gonna have to disagree here. My 6XXs with the CTH blows the 2Cs + CTH out of the water with mids. It's not even close. The 7XXs are better with female vocals but they're about even with male vocals. I can't listen to Adele, Aaliyah, Sade, Lauryn Hill, or even men with higher pitched voices like JSMN or The Weeknd with the 2Cs. They just don't do it right. They may be good enough for you but not for me. Sound Eq will have to listen to decide.

8. Sound Eq
    wish i could audition it but where I live that is not a choice, for me mids are the most important aspect in a headphone, as bass can be easily added via eq but fixing mids is a nightmare

LCD X did not cut it for me as well in the vocals department either, maybe I should look again to lcd 2 fazor 2018 versions

i have on the way the zmf atticus as well maybe it will fit the bill, its just i love to have back an audeze in my collection that meets all my needs

9. chef8489
    None of those amps are even in the same capabilities of power. Thats why i said it is very amp dependent.

10. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    The LCD-2s all seemingly have that upper-mid dip so I'm not sure if that'll do it either. The LCD-3 & 4 are said to have the most forward mids of Audeze's offerings but I haven't heard either so I can't say for sure.

I think the Atticus might be what you're looking for but not exactly. They're said to have mids almost as forward as the 6X0 series & a ton of midbass but they don't have much subbass, probably not nearly as much as a planar would. It depends on what kind of bass you're looking for here.

11. chef8489
    If oppo was not defunct now i would say look at the pm-1.

12. Sound Eq
    just a side note, if anyone looks to have a dac that is great with vocals use the mojo it blow ifi black label in terms of vocals by being more present
    the ifi black label as a dac to my amps makes vocals sound recessed compared to my black label when both used as a dac to my amp

13. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    You can't remove that upper mid dip by just adding "moar power." I'm waiting for Massdrop to drop the LCX again so I can listen on balanced but I expect the exact same thing I'm hearing now. Like I said they may be good enough for you but you're overselling them by a lot. You're the same dude who tried to convince me they had a wide sound stage too. I get that you like them but they aren't immune from criticisms.

14. Sound Eq
    i had the oppo pm1 it was a polite headphone, mids were ok, but not that great with bass

15. SilverEars
    I agree with you regarding upper mids. LCD2 was the similar in this regard and so was the iSines. Audeze tend to dips the upper mids. Whereas I found Hifiman Sundara dips in mids area under upper mids creating recessed male vocals on certain tracks, similarly the HE560 as well.

I have not tried the Aeon open, but Aeon closed sounded lifted in the lower treble than my preference and a bit on the lean sounding side.

Anybody into heavy rock I'd say planar or fast dynamic driver would perform better in clarity and separation(but, tonal balance has a bit of weight as well). I was listening to SR-009 and realized how much of a difference the speed of the driver makes for heavy rock. My TH-X00 Ebony's dynamic drivers isn't so good for heavy rock, but I really like the wood cupped dynamic driver bass.

There seems to be some consistacy in how tonal response ends up from different companies. Some consistant sound characteristics due to being designed by somebody's ears.

First

Back
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199
Next

Last