Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #2,446 of 7,331
Hello,

im thinking abote switching from my old Hifiman HE-500 to the LCD2C. Would it be an upgrade?
Comfort for sure. And soundwise a litte bit darker?

My other Headphones are Sennheiser HD800 and Stax SR-L700.

Mabye anyone switched from HE-500 to LCD2C to and can tell something about it?

Thank you

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2,447 of 7,331
I am also considering switching to the LCD2-C, from my current ZMF Omni, I listen to a lot of acoustic music and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of their vocals presentation. I have read a couple reviews and one said great vocals, another stated recessed vocals... thanks for any help or suggestions.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,448 of 7,331
To me, lcd2c have great vocal.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,450 of 7,331
I too liked the vocals. I didn't really like it for acoustic guitar because of the narrow soundstage, but vocals were never a problem.
I don't find it has a narrow sound stage. Maybe your amp was not sufficient or narrow.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,451 of 7,331
I am also considering switching to the LCD2-C, from my current ZMF Omni, I listen to a lot of acoustic music and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of their vocals presentation. I have read a couple reviews and one said great vocals, another stated recessed vocals... thanks for any help or suggestions.
All vocals are clear. However, there's a big upper mid dip meaning female vocals are indeed recessed, sometimes very much so. Higher pitched male vocals suffer from this too. They aren't my go to cans for vocals for this reason coupled with the small sound stage. Anyone saying these have a "wide" sound stage is either exaggerating or haven't heard headphones that actually do have a wide soundstage.

I love my 2Cs, but they aren't perfect. Not by a long shot.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #2,453 of 7,331
All vocals are clear. However, there's a big upper mid dip meaning female vocals are indeed recessed, sometimes very much so. Higher pitched male vocals suffer from this too. They aren't my go to cans for vocals for this reason coupled with the small sound stage. Anyone saying these have a "wide" sound stage is either exaggerating or haven't heard headphones that actually do have a wide
All vocals are clear. However, there's a big upper mid dip meaning female vocals are indeed recessed, sometimes very much so. Higher pitched male vocals suffer from this too. They aren't my go to cans for vocals for this reason coupled with the small sound stage. Anyone saying these have a "wide" sound stage is either exaggerating or haven't heard headphones that actually do have a wide soundstage.

I love my 2Cs, but they aren't perfect. Not by a long shot.
Saying people that say these dont have a narrow sound stage eithet are exagerating or have not heard headphones with wide soundstage is a bunch of rubbish. They may not be the widest soundstage, but they are by no means the narrowest. They are far wider than the hd600 and hd650 and many other cans.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,454 of 7,331
^I dunno man. On a Magni 3, the 650/600 and even 599 felt wider than the LCD2C, and none of those felt particularly spacious. My HP-3, which is only semi open, feels insanely wider than them all.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,455 of 7,331
Saying people that say these dont have a narrow sound stage eithet are exagerating or have not heard headphones with wide soundstage is a bunch of rubbish. They may not be the widest soundstage, but they are by no means the narrowest. They are far wider than the hd600 and hd650 and many other cans.
I didn't say they were "the narrowest." I get my 6XXs later today so I'll do a direct comparison, but they're already soundly beat by my K7XXs. They're vastly wider. None of Audeze's headphones are known for their spacious soundstage but rather for their "intimate" presentation.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,456 of 7,331
I didn't say they were "the narrowest." I get my 6XXs later today so I'll do a direct comparison, but they're already soundly beat by my K7XXs. They're vastly wider. None of Audeze's headphones are known for their spacious soundstage but rather for their "intimate" presentation.
The k7xx are wider than many headphones. Too bad they are pretty boring. I did enjoy them more than the hd650 but no where near as much as the lcd2c. They are no where near as detailed or as fast or as fun.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,457 of 7,331
The k7xx are wider than many headphones. Too bad they are pretty boring. I did enjoy them more than the hd650 but no where near as much as the lcd2c. They are no where near as detailed or as fast or as fun.
Listening to my 6XXs now, I'll comment on what I said earlier in a bit. After I got my 2Cs I did something I don't know if I regret or not: listening to my cans instead of the music. The K7XXs are nowhere near as detailed as them. They do have a 10k peak that makes me prefer them for vocals though. I don't need headphones to color the sound so I don't think it's a fair criticism to call them boring. They present music as it was recorded for the most part which is fine. That being said I did purchase the Focal Elex to replace them. I can't get over the lack of detail retrieval despite the vast soundstage. Hopefully the Elexs are somewhat as wide which from some impressions it's in the same ballpark. If not the airy presentation should help with that.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,458 of 7,331
Any word on how well lcd 2c does different sub generes of edm? I keep seeing different opinions on it. Some says the amazing planar sub bass rumble make them very good, while other say they lack punch etc, and are better suited for other generes.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,459 of 7,331
Any word on how well lcd 2c does different sub generes of edm? I keep seeing different opinions on it. Some says the amazing planar sub bass rumble make them very good, while other say they lack punch etc, and are better suited for other generes.

The LCD2C doesn't have the mid bass impact you can get from a dynamic IMO. That being said, it handles sub bass amazingly. The LCD2C bass to me was very neutral, and I had to EQ 20-140 hz up by about 2 db to get it where I wanted. Luckily it responds well to EQ.

My first genre choices for the LCD2C would be rock/metal/pop. They do well in EDM, but that SLAM isn't as visceral as you might expect. But the quality/control/texture of the bass is superb. I think the best TOTL headphone for EDM is the HP-3. Despite being (semi) open back, the slam around 60-100 hz is nuts and the sub bass extends quite well. The mids are a bit thin, but are the best mids I have heard on any V shaped headphone. The treble and detail retrieval is on another level and handily beats the LCD2C. I think it's no secret that V shaped headphones play nicely with EDM.

If you are *very* treble sensitive, the LCD2C might be better for you because the darker nature of the headphones takes an edge off the treble and piercing highs that can be in some EDM.

TLDR; The LCD2C handles EDM sub-genres well that play with sub bass, but if WA-THUMP factor in the mid bass matters to you, maybe not the best choice.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,460 of 7,331
Thanks, that is very helpful! Hp3 does definetly look very apealing. I have a zmf atticus on the way, so i hope they live up to my expectations. I just kinda want a headphone with amazing sub bass (that also does amazingly with edm), to compliment the atticus. I do wonder who has the best bass slam of hp3 and atticus in edm tho. Any experience with trance in particular, on the mentioned cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back