Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #2,356 of 7,331
I had the opportunity to make a comparaison between the LCD2rev2 and the LCD2C.
I friend brought his new LCD2C while I'm a happy owner of the goof old LCD2rev2.
We mainly used a Weiss DAC 202, the audio-gd HE-9 for the amp and a good balanced cable.
We both work in the music.
First they both have a similar sound. However the LCD2rev2 had better subs and curiously a better clarity (we thought about 5 kHz). The LCD2C was more mid centric but without the creamy mids of the rev2.
We had also the impression that the rev2 was dynamically more opened than the brand new LCD2C. A bit like the rev2 is used everyday more than 6 hours for more than 5 years and the LCD2C just comes out of the box. So we should probably make a new comparison in 6 month when the LCD2C will spread his wings.
I was interested in the comparison because I was curious to see if I could find a replacement if one day I would loose the rev2 but I think I will still take care of it.

Nice. I hope my Rev 2. stays in working condition! :L3000:

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,358 of 7,331
Nice. I hope my Rev 2. stays in working condition! :L3000:
Yep the rev2 is a really unique headphone and all their owners should be the happier mans in the world :)
I tried several audeze (LCD2C, LCD2F,, LCDX, sins, LCDXC, LCD3 and LCD3F), and to my ears none of them was better than my rev2 except the first version of the LCD3. The rev2 has those visceral subs and creamy mids. They are also very power hungry in order to get their full potential. Sure they are a bit on the dark side but curiously without loosing details. All is there where it should be: details are still details (=not in your face).

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,359 of 7,331
Yep the rev2 is a really unique headphone and all their owners should be the happier mans in the world :)
I tried several audeze (LCD2C, LCD2F,, LCDX, sins, LCDXC, LCD3 and LCD3F), and to my ears none of them was better than my rev2 except the first version of the LCD3. The rev2 has those visceral subs and creamy mids. They are also very power hungry in order to get their full potential. Sure they are a bit on the dark side but curiously without loosing details. All is there where it should be: details are still details (=not in your face).

They just don't make em like they used to... lol

I still think the 2C is a great headphone. Just not sure it should have been labeled as "Classic" just because it didn't have a fazor.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,360 of 7,331
They just don't make em like they used to... lol

I still think the 2C is a great headphone. Just not sure it should have been labeled as "Classic" just because it didn't have a fazor.
Well, how else would you want to differentiate that it wasn't a "fazored" LCD.

The thing you have to remember is that the Original LCD 2 existed at least a year or more before Audeze decided to place the fazors in them. (We're not talking about which model is anyone's preference here; I'd only have to take the Fazors out)

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #2,361 of 7,331
I tried several audeze and to my ears none of them was better than my rev2 except the first version of the LCD3.

I read that before from you. Wasn't that when people were doing the toilet paper mods? What they did they change with the first revision of the LCD-3, and what was ruined; in your opinion?

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,362 of 7,331
I read that before from you. Wasn't that when people were doing the toilet paper mods? What they did they change with the first revision of the LCD-3, and what was ruined; in your opinion?
Well first it's a personal preference. We are a group of 5 people all involved in the music who have audeze hp. Among them 4 prefer the rev2 but one prefer the LCDX.
Now I wouldn't say it ruined the sound, just that it wasn't as good to my ears. The difference was mainly in the subs (the rev2 and the first LCD3 are a real king in that department) and sound coherence from to to bottom. The LCD3 was dynamically more open than the rev2 but when I decide to make the jump it was to late: the new LCD3 was released.
I could say the introduction of the fazor but I don't think it tells the all story. Otherwise the LCDC and the rev2 should be closer. I think they change a lot things during the evolution so it's difficult to isolate the real cause.
For example the sensitivity change drastically from the old models the new model. I can understand that it was necessary to target a larger audience that didn't have a big amp but it might also impart the sound. So with the change of the magnets, diaphragm, fazor and the sound variation even among the same revision ... it is scientifically impossible to isolate one factor. So we can only base our choice on a empiric process.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #2,363 of 7,331
Just got mine. Quick question: are the yoke rods supposed to have the same level of force needed to adjust them on all steps? Mine are quite loose on the smallest setting, but all others need quite a lot of force to move (= optimal). Just wondering if this is a small manufacturing defect or normal...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,365 of 7,331
Anyone can compare Sony mdr Z1R and these? Im selling my z1r's and found used pair of LCD2C for quite cheap, im about to press the trigger on them.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #2,366 of 7,331
I went back & took another look at Tyll's review of the LCD2C ,as I couldn't recall what he had said about "Cymbal" sound that had me shaking my head & "Cracking Up"

Tyll takes the time to carefully point out a headphone's design features in a language that a lot of new headphone users might not have known what to call these parts, & he normally does a pretty good job, It's when he starts talking about how a particular Headphone "sounds" is when his descriptions start to fall apart for myself. Plain & simple, most of what he talks about as far as sound qualtiy goes usually does more to describe what is wrong with how a tremendous amount of recorded Popular music is recorded to sound like. Better headphones are designed to try to help the "Cookie Cutter" (Instruments, Vocals,Percussion,etc are suppose to sound the way we recorded them) sound.

Reviewers need to "Get a grip" & stop playing into the General Mediocrity of Popular Recorded Music. In truth listeners could save themselves a lot of $$$ (& time & $ they'll spend "modding" their Better headphones): trying to make them sound like less expensive HPs.

My advice "Live Dangerously & try to see if the "different sound perpective" you're hearing "Grows on you & maybe even replaces the sound perpectives you were ued to". What you're used to isn't anything special it's only what you're familiar with ! (He.he,he....My perspective is not to settle for Recorded Mediocrity in the first place: Life's too short & there's no shortage of "Something Else" to replace things that you dislike for principal reasons alone)

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #2,367 of 7,331
I went back & took another look at Tyll's review of the LCD2C ,as I couldn't recall what he had said about "Cymbal" sound that had me shaking my head & "Cracking Up"

Tyll takes the time to carefully point out a headphone's design features in a language that a lot of new headphone users might not have known what to call these parts, & he normally does a pretty good job, It's when he starts talking about how a particular Headphone "sounds" is when his descriptions start to fall apart for myself. Plain & simple, most of what he talks about as far as sound qualtiy goes usually does more to describe what is wrong with how a tremendous amount of recorded Popular music is recorded to sound like. Better headphones are designed to try to help the "Cookie Cutter" (Instruments, Vocals,Percussion,etc are suppose to sound the way we recorded them) sound.

Reviewers need to "Get a grip" & stop playing into the General Mediocrity of Popular Recorded Music. In truth listeners could save themselves a lot of $$$ (& time & $ they'll spend "modding" their Better headphones): trying to make them sound like less expensive HPs.

My advice "Live Dangerously & try to see if the "different sound perpective" you're hearing "Grows on you & maybe even replaces the sound perpectives you were ued to". What you're used to isn't anything special it's only what you're familiar with ! (He.he,he....My perspective is not to settle for Recorded Mediocrity in the first place: Life's too short & there's no shortage of "Something Else" to replace things that you dislike for principal reasons alone)

Sorry, knowwhatimean, I don't know what you mean.

Are you ranting at;
LCD-2C,
Tyll,
Reviewers in general,
Popular music,
or HP users in general?

Maybe the excessive quotation marks and mid-sentence capitalizations are confusing me. :thinking:

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,368 of 7,331

Sorry, knowwhatime,an, I don't know what you mean.

Are you ranting at;
LCD-2C,
Tyll,
Reviewers in general,
Popular music,
or HP users in general?

Maybe the excessive quotation marks and mid-sentence capitalizations are confusing me. :thinking:
Hmmm...... Fair enough ...... I have a pretty bad habit of not being as Coherent as I could be when I'm saying too many things at once.

He,he,he..... The problem is, I suppose , that it's not really that important to myself to clear up my feelings about most of the things you bring up except to say I have high hopes for the LCD2C
(Well, at least I hopefully didn't kill another thread......I'll never reach Headphoneous Supremeus at this rate......; just how full of yourself do you have to be to want this status rating silliness ! ) (there I go with the punctuation thing again)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,369 of 7,331
After a few days of listening to my pair (with my other pair is the Grado GS2000e), I can say if you are looking for excellent low-end response, but don't mind the darker sound signature on the high-end, then pick these up. My GS2000e wins if you want high-end presence, but sucks if you want the low-end slam on electronic recordings.

Even with the darker signature, I found them to be just darn good to listen music thru for hours. It won't win on details, but it does win on music enjoyment.

I've also got the GS2000e. Looking to complement them with the LCD2C or other headphone. Out of curiosity, what amp are you using to drive the these phones? I'm using a Cary HH-1 and hoping it will have enough juice.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #2,370 of 7,331
Hi. Seriously eyeballing the LCD2Cs. Anyone driving these with a Cary HH-1? If so, how does the combo sound and does the amp deliver sufficient power to bring the phones to life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back