Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,501 of 7,334
Today I got the Shiit combo, bass is stronger on this Shiit compare to the Ifi Mirco DSD, this Shiit will rumble your head. It's not bad with just a little of EQ to lower the bass and clean up the sound
10050849_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6169C.jpg
    DSC_6169C.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,505 of 7,334
I've used mine for a while and I enjoy them a lot for most of the music I listen to, but some songs/genres feels muffled/muddy to me. Like hiphop for example, I'm guessing it's a mix of treble being lower and soundstage being smaller maybe? Kinda same while gaming everything feels very clastrophobic? I guess I'm mostly used to more open sounding headphones but yeah.
Anyone have any idea if EQ can fix these kind of things and any recommended settings to try if so? I would of course love to use these for everything I do at the computer, but right now talking to friends and gaming sounds a lot better in my gaming headphones I guess.

Idk about fixing the muddy/muffled sound, but I've been liking the EQ Luckbad posted a few pages back here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...pressions-thread.862174/page-90#post-13945584

It's good for Hip-hop and electronic music....adds a little oomph I feel is missing in the stock sound.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,506 of 7,334
Idk about fixing the muddy/muffled sound, but I've been liking the EQ Luckbad posted a few pages back here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...pressions-thread.862174/page-90#post-13945584

It's good for Hip-hop and electronic music....adds a little oomph I feel is missing in the stock sound.

Honestly think I just need to get used to the soundstage being smaller and them sounding more like closed headphones. All my other ones are open because I haven't liked closed headphones "pressure" after a while, but these don't get that feeling as I guess they are open but sound more like closed?
I can at least recommending listening to some Rodrigo y Gabriela. They are good on anything though :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,507 of 7,334
Got my LCD2C today and had a very quick listen. First impression is that the bass is nice and extended without being overblown. Compared to my T1 it sounds a bit more compressed or maybe polite. Not a huge difference between the two. I’ll have more time later to listen further.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,508 of 7,334
The Audeze website says the Power Requirement is >100 mW. That is basically nothing right? Comes out to 0.1 volts or am I converting that wrong? So while I do have a Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber, I also have a Dragonfly Red for portable use and the DF Red apparently generates 2.1 volts of power. Is that more than enough for these headphones?

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,510 of 7,334
The Audeze website says the Power Requirement is >100 mW. That is basically nothing right? Comes out to 0.1 volts or am I converting that wrong? So while I do have a Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber, I also have a Dragonfly Red for portable use and the DF Red apparently generates 2.1 volts of power. Is that more than enough for these headphones?

>100 mW is all well and good. But when I see a spec like that, I think to myself, "Does that mean 101 mW into this HP would sound really good? Or @5-10X that power, it might start to sound really good?" Input power specs don't tell you all that much about real-world interface w/amps.

People talk about headphones, especially power-hungry planars, "scaling" (sounding even better) with increasingly powerful amps. That's only partly a function of the higher max output power of those designs (most of us don't listen loud enough to reach max power anyway). Some of that good sound comes from the powerful amp cruising along in the bottom 1/3 of its power range, driving headphones like they aren't even there...the V281 is like that. It never seems to even interact w/any headphone as a load--almost always sounds pretty much the same.

Checked the specs on the Magni 3, and w/max 3W @16 ohm, down to 2W @32 ohms, that should be more than enough for you to hear whatever sound the designers "voiced" into the amp (as opposed to hearing the amp strain to keep up w/the headphone load).

Audioquest gets cute w/their Dragon Fly units (black & red), not citing conventional power output in watts. But the Headphonia review of the Red praised its sound on the Hifiman 400i (which if I'm not mistaken is a relatively efficient planar, like the LDC-2C)...also on the HD800, a headphone known to be kind of picky about amp pairings. So that's probably fine, too.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,511 of 7,334
>100 mW is all well and good. But when I see a spec like that, I think to myself, "Does that mean 101 mW into this HP would sound really good? Or @5-10X that power, it might start to sound really good?" Input power specs don't tell you all that much about real-world interface w/amps.

People talk about headphones, especially power-hungry planars, "scaling" (sounding even better) with increasingly powerful amps. That's only partly a function of the higher max output power of those designs (most of us don't listen loud enough to reach max power anyway). Some of that good sound comes from the powerful amp cruising along in the bottom 1/3 of its power range, driving headphones like they aren't even there...the V281 is like that. It never seems to even interact w/any headphone as a load--almost always sounds pretty much the same.

Checked the specs on the Magni 3, and w/max 3W @16 ohm, down to 2W @32 ohms, that should be more than enough for you to hear whatever sound the designers "voiced" into the amp (as opposed to hearing the amp strain to keep up w/the headphone load).

Audioquest gets cute w/their Dragon Fly units (black & red), not citing conventional power output in watts. But the Headphonia review of the Red praised its sound on the Hifiman 400i (which if I'm not mistaken is a relatively efficient planar, like the LDC-2C)...also on the HD800, a headphone known to be kind of picky about amp pairings. So that's probably fine, too.

Thank you very much for this response! This really does help.

I have the Magni 2 Uber which is a bit less powerful than the Magni 3 -- but it's not by much. 1.5W @ 32 ohms, 1.2W @ 50 ohms. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/schiit-magni-2-uber.20492/

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,512 of 7,334
Mine finally came in along with a Gumby.

Still waiting on your Gumby to settle in? Wanted to see how you like them paired with your WE 396As. I really liked them with the Tung Sol 2C51s since it compliments them with some forward mids but my TS sound a bit grainy.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,513 of 7,334
Thank you very much for this response! This really does help.

I have the Magni 2 Uber which is a bit less powerful than the Magni 3 -- but it's not by much. 1.5W @ 32 ohms, 1.2W @ 50 ohms. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/schiit-magni-2-uber.20492/

1.5W is still nothing to sneeze at.

The question remains (as with any planar, no matter how efficient)--during normal listening, will the LCD-2C bring this amp near anywhere near the point where it starts to "fall apart" sonically (sounding strained & not like it usually does)? You won't know 'til you try.

I only heard that once--my ZMF Ori, an inefficient planar driven by Matrix M Stage HPA-1, a nice sounding SS amp of low-to-moderate power. It was pretty obvious when this combination ran into trouble as moderate loudness approached...

Then again, both Audeze & Hifiman seem to have been very successful marketing planars that "play nice" with a wide range of SS amps.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,514 of 7,334
Still waiting on your Gumby to settle in? Wanted to see how you like them paired with your WE 396As. I really liked them with the Tung Sol 2C51s since it compliments them with some forward mids but my TS sound a bit grainy.
They sound fantastic with the WE, Gumby sounds better after 28hrs, going to burn in the dac and the cans at the same time. Only tried the WE 396A in my MJ2 though no other tubes yet. The cans are more comfortable than the HE500's that I wore last month. Was worried about the comfort factor.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #1,515 of 7,334
They sound fantastic with the WE, Gumby sounds better after 28hrs, going to burn in the dac and the cans at the same time. Only tried the WE 396A in my MJ2 though no other tubes yet. The cans are more comfortable than the HE500's that I wore last month. Was worried about the comfort factor.

They’re comfortable compared to the previous 2Fs I’ve tried. The new headband makes a big difference in distributing the weight better. When the Gumby gets burned in with headphones try out the TS. They really make vocals (especially female vocals) sound sweet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back