Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,321 of 7,334
The LCD creates a ‘vacuum’ seal around your ears. It’s important when you put them on or take them off to do so slowly, so as not to create too much pressure. You DO NOT want to hear the crinkling noise, because it means you’re flexing the driver. Carry on doing that and they’ll pop or crack, a $400 out of warranty fix! The LCD-4 is meant to have a felt liner than releases this pressure, so I guess the LCD-2C doesn’t. All will be well if you make sure to gently put them on and pull them off, but whatever you do don’t press them against your ears like you’ve been doing unless you want to blow the drivers.

While it’s best to avoid this, it’s unlikely to damage the drivers. Unless Audeze believes the damage was intentional, they have typically replaced damaged drivers under warranty in their previous headphone lines.. Have you heard about a policy change for the 2c?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,322 of 7,334
Audeze has a 30day return policy? I have to say, I'm getting very tempted into returning these and buying a Clear. I love this headphone, but deep textured bass isn't my endgame. I guess I'm realizing I listen to a lot more acoustic and frankly this headphone is just a bit too muted in that area for me. The EQ'ing has helped a ton but I'm just wondering if the Clear will be a solid step up in that department. Not to mention it looks amazing. Also comfort, yes the LCD2C is comfortable but it's still very heavy. I can't say it disappears on my head but it's not uncomfortable, it's just there always. It could be more comfortable is what I'm trying to say.

Clear is 450g (vs lcd2c 520g). The difference in weight is there, but it is only 70g. I am curious about whether this difference is marginal, or it makes a real difference for a long listening session.

I own both the LCD2C and the Clear and find the Audeze to be more comfortable. It is not a weight issue, but how that weight is distributed across the top of the head that matters. I find the suspension strap of the LCD2C to distribute the weight very evenly, whereas the Clear tends to create a hot spot directly on top of my head. The clamping force is also higher with the Clear.

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,323 of 7,334
While it’s best to avoid this, it’s unlikely to damage the drivers. Unless Audeze believes the damage was intentional, they have typically replaced damaged drivers under warranty in their dieting headphone lines.. Have you heard about a policy change for the 2c?
Audeze will definitely replace damaged drivers under warranty no matter what. But what happens when warranty runs out? Best to know how to handle the headphones properly so they last many years. Otherwise it’s a $400 out of warranty fix. Also, if you live overseas and ordered direct from Audeze, you’re liable for the very expensive return shipping (and possibly second round of customs duties) even if Audeze repair the headphones under warranty.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,324 of 7,334
Has anyone had a chance to compare them to the Oppo pm-1? I really enjoyed the pm-1 when I had them for the tour. Not had a chance to really try any other planars other than the pm,-1 and pm-3. I am looking for something with a similar sound of the Westone es60 to go with my desktop setup of Vali 2 and modi multibit.

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,325 of 7,334
The best way to compare various LCD-2 models would be to put them on a TOTL overpowered headphone amplifier or a good speaker amplifier. Period.

On lesser headphone amps, the old LCD-2 never shone for me. Pair them with something that can provide clean power easily and they'll come alive. Once you experience that, you'll know right away.

On lesser setups, it's very much possible that they may find the old LCD-2 to be dull. On a good setup, they'll still sound dark, but definitely not dull! Important distinction.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,326 of 7,334
received my pair last night. they do sound good but i still find the sub bass lacking. thought it would have more extension. maybe my expectations were simply too high after reading all the reviews.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,327 of 7,334
I love the sound of HD650s with my magni 3. I have it directly hooked up to my phono amp; so, I cant really EQ. My plan was to get a Valhalla 2. But now I’m leaning towards getting a LCD2C.
My pair of HE4XX are a about as heavy as I can handle on my head with out getting a headache. Also find them a bit bright for my taste. So, weight was a little bit of a worry for me when I saw how much the LCD2C weighs.

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,331 of 7,334
I personally realized nothing beats old good HD600 when it comes to acoustic. That's when I sold my LCD-2F couple years ago. Still miss that bass, though.. they were a blast for electronica.

I think that's a bit hyperbolic.

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,335 of 7,334
I recently just got ordered the LCD-2c and was wondering if the Schiit Magni 3 is good enough for these?

It should be good until you can save up for something more later. TBH I was thinking on a Magni 3 as well for the time being. I actually enjoy them a lot from the ZDS and 339, paradoxical as that may sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back