Audeze LCD-2C Classic (2017) - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Shetzu
    Thanks. I missed out on that.

2. Shetzu
    So that is an extra expense with the aluminium cups. Wish Audeze could look at the headband issue for all LCD2 models.

3. gLer
    No, the alu are the 2016 Fazor (latest model). The LCD-2C doesn’t have Fazor, so is apparently more akin to the original LCD-2. Expect warmer, darker sounding headphones than the 2016F model.

Oddly enough I was first tempted by the LCD-2C not only for its all-metal design, which I prefer to the wood, but also for the pre-fazor sound, which I believed would be more suited to my taste as I’m quite treble sensitive. When I got my 2016 model, I heard none of the ‘bright’ highs some have noted about the Fazor revisions - only clean, warm and detailed, along with beautifully controlled and extended bass (albeit nothing quite like my Fostex TH-X00). The 2016F is also darker than my Fostex (which is what I wanted from an LCD), so now I’m thinking the pre-fazor might actually be too dark for my liking.

In any case you can’t go wrong with either model I believe - this is very much TOTL sound and build, and you’ll have to spend double for only minor improvements from this point on.

4. anoxy
    Interessante. I thought I had read that the original Fazor model had those sparkly highs but then they revised it and made it much smoother?

I like a dark sound and bass presence, but I guess if I end up disliking them i can flip them and try out the Adorama deal instead.

5. Shetzu
    Correct me if I am wrong... I am just trying to understand something. You mean prefazor = warm & Fazor = neutral. So LCD 2c is similar to prefazor right. So the audorama sales are fazor models right.

6. gLer
    That's almost right - pre-fazor = warm, more rolled off highs, less directional but slightly deeper bass; fazor** = less warm (but not neutral), less sub-bass extension but tighter, more controlled bass and slightly more detail in the highs, same smooth, honey-like mids. Adorama is the razor model, yes. Only the LCD-2C (and second-hand pre-fazor LCDs) will not have fazor tech.

**there are multiple versions of the LCD-2 with fazor, starting in 2014, version 2 (2.2) in 2015, and the latest 2016 version. Apparently the 2016 version is the most refined of the fazor models, correcting some treble issues in the original fazor and 2.2 versions. I can't vouch for any of this as it's all from research rather than first-hand experience.

All I can tell you is that my LCD-2 (2016) is sublime - warm, more detailed than anything I've ever heard, great bass - not basshead, but tight and textured - and nicely rolled off highs with more than enough treble detail and sparkle. And the mids are world-class.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  7. Shetzu
    Thanks. So in that case I would prefer using the Fazor model like the ones sold on Audorama the 2016 version. On contemplating I came to the conclusion that In case I had to go for the pre Fazor my Fidelio X2 sounds almost similar so why have something alike. I always wanted the LCD2 fazor and my only bet is to grab them from the store while the discount lasts. These will compliment well to my HD 800.
    I appreciate the in depth information you guys have shared.

8. gLer
    Only a pleasure. I was about to grab a Fidelio X2 when I changed my mind and got the LCD-2. You'll probably find the X2 has a wider soundstage and probably slightly deeper bass, but the LCD-2 is heads and shoulders beyond the capabilities of the X2. You'll love them!

Shetzu likes this.
  9. Shetzu
    Thats the encouragement I have been looking for which has built up my confidence to order it asap. Thanks again.:)
    One last question. Though many of you already answered the same before is Alu or the wood version better. Dont want too much weight but sound wise are both similar or there is some difference.

10. anoxy
    Reading your comments on this page, and then reading your comments a couple pages back about appreciating bass, I'm now confused on which pair to spring for. The Classics or the Fazor. Ugh.

I never truly enjoyed headphones like the HD-650, HD-600, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, DT-990, and so on because I felt they lacked in the low end. I listen to a ton of hip-hop and electronic music, so something that can keep up with the genre is what I'm really looking for. But I also want it to give me lush and detailed vocals when I turn on Bob Dylan, Fiona Apple, Laura Marling, Joanna Newsom, etc.

11. gLer
    Ah, you want the "Holy Grail" of headphones then :) I'd like to say the LCD-2/2C will give you exactly what you're after, but it all depends on how much bass "slam" and sub-bass you want, and how much you want to pay. For EDM, electronic and modern pop I'm most likely to use my Fostex TH-X00, purely because they slam so beautifully and with sub deep sub-bass extension, even at lower volumes. The LCD-2 has incredible bass, but it's more balanced and more integrated into the mix. Also the Fostex can have "hotter" highs, so songs with tons of treble or sharp cymbals could be quite bright, depending on your amp. The LCD-2 on the other hand is never sibilant, always smooth, with crisp, clear and smooth vocals. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing them yet, but I believe ZMF's Atticus could give you the bass slam you'd like for EDM, while maintaining LCD-like mids and rolled-off highs. Maybe pop into the ZMF and Eikon thread and explore there as well. I may one day add an Atticus to my line-up, but it would only be as a TOTL add-on rather than replacements for my Fostex and LCD-2.

PS. Love your music choices, I'm also a fan of modern EDM and pop along with more laid-back female vocal and classic rock. That's why I picked the two headphones I believe give me the best of all worlds. Very tough to find one headphone that "does it all" but if I absolutely had to choose, it would be the LCD-2 over the Fostex.

PPS. I also never "got" headphones like the 600 and 650. Tried them several times, no low end. Can't enjoy music without at least some weight to the sound.

anoxy likes this.
  12. anoxy

i guess I'll just stick with my plan to pick up the LCD-2C. I think those ZMF Atticus are out of my price range. $600 is my limit.

Why do headphones have to be so hard man! I have a lovely pair of speakers, and everything I listen to sounds fantastic out of them. Whereas headphones are always lacking in one way or another.

13. denox
    If you don't mind spending a little more, I would recommend getting used Atticus, it will satisfy your bass needs. I also pre-order for lcd2c to feed my curiosity but from my experience and research Atticus is refinement of lcd2 and HD650 (owned) high/mid with much better / hard hitting bass. I have EMU Teak previously if you wondering :)

14. lentoviolento
    Have you got atticus?

15. denox