Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #196 of 7,334
I have had a Pre-fazor LCD-2 Rev 2.2 and also have the HD-660S.

Without going into great detail I'd say the highs win on the 660S and the mids/low end win on the LCD-2.

I am looking to pick up the LCD-2C when it comes out for direct comparison.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #197 of 7,334
20 ohms

101db/ 1mW

A major selling point. Initially I found the LCD-2.2 lacking in drive with the gear I owned at the time (Fiio E10, E11, JDS Labs 02). I even tried some other midfi Burson stuff and found it marginally better. Then I went on to hook these and the Hifiman's up to speaker amps and these came alive, along with the rest of the planars! Looks like I can avoid all of that hassle this time around.

this.

Both my LCD-2 Aluminum and Hifiman HE-560 came to life in a major way run via a little gain reduction/impedance matching box connected to my 15 watt stereo tube amp speaker outs. It was amazing what a difference it made. Effortless drive, smooth and dynamic, lower distortion etc etc

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #198 of 7,334
via a little gain reduction/impedance matching box connected to my 15 watt stereo tube amp speaker outs.
That sounds brilliant (excuse the pun). What’s the name of the box? I’d love to try this on my AVR (let’s just say AVR headphone jacks aren’t the world’s best).

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #199 of 7,334
this.

Both my LCD-2 Aluminum and Hifiman HE-560 came to life in a major way run via a little gain reduction/impedance matching box connected to my 15 watt stereo tube amp speaker outs. It was amazing what a difference it made. Effortless drive, smooth and dynamic, lower distortion etc etc

I don’t mean to derail the conversation, but why did you decide to keep both headphones, and what do you use each for?

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #200 of 7,334
this.

Could you expand on this? I'd heard of this once before. Does it only benefit planars? Are there any studies and/or white papers on this? Any examples or articles reviewing this? Interesting.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #203 of 7,334
You don't necessarily need resistors or any boxes in the middle. I went straight through with several amps directly, including some very high-end ones, and had zero problems. It sounded superb and in full control. ABSOLUTELY wiped the floor out of things like my Fiio E10 and O2 or Burson/Aune models around the time that were popular.

If you want to read more about this on head-fi, check out the Emotiva Mini-x-a-100 thread. Plenty of user experiences posted there. Placebo, my ass.

Get someone to build a simple banana plug to 4 pin XLR adapter. Most of those custom guys can do one for around $40ish. Then take that adapter and your headphones and go plug them into top suitable power amps. Always start with the volume at the lowest. The guys with HE-6 can especially attest to this.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #204 of 7,334
So the site says it's a carbon fiber headband.. guessing like the one on the lcd4 but the picture looks like it's plastic or anaondized metal. Can anyone comment on the specifics of that
The website needs to be updated, but I believe someone contacted Audeze to confirm that it is indeed a metal headband, not the carbon fiber headband. - Which makes sense and saves money but improves comfort as well ++ for Audeze

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #206 of 7,334
These headphones are $600. The carbon fiber headband is $200 alone. Everything about these will be less expensive (i.e. cheaper) but not cheap. This should also reduce weight significantly. I can't wait for them to get released and out in the public so we can read impressions. I want to hear what some of the early adopters think before I jump.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #207 of 7,334
These headphones are $600. The carbon fiber headband is $200 alone. Everything about these will be less expensive (i.e. cheaper) but not cheap. This should also reduce weight significantly. I can't wait for them to get released and out in the public so we can read impressions. I want to hear what some of the early adopters think before I jump.
I'm aware. Which is why I asked for clarification cause it was hard to believe. It says it directly on audezea product page that the carbon fiber headband is included

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #208 of 7,334
I'm aware. Which is why I asked for clarification cause it was hard to believe. It says it directly on audezea product page that the carbon fiber headband is included
It also says the LCD-2C will be available on November 10, and yet it will likely not be available until well into next year. This time next week we should know what's what...

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #210 of 7,334

Users who are viewing this thread

Back