Audez'e LCD 2 vs beats PRO by dr dre WITHOUT AMP
Dec 15, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #46 of 68
I call shenanigans lol

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #47 of 68
this thread is just massive phail.

made me lol a bit though.

umm. the answer is neither. beats are overpriced and lcd-2 need a good system to sound their best. especially for the price, you can't buy one without the other.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #48 of 68

Quote:
This really has to be trolling..I mean really who would compare lcd-2's to Beats? and on top of that claim they bought and are driving the lcd-2's straight out of an Ipad 
blink.gif

Do you guys even have LCD2 and beats side by side ?  I bet most of poster don't even have lcd2.
When I connect lcd2 to iPhone it sounds fine !, if amp and dac doesn't exist in this world I am still happy.

Trust me, amp even the one I have SR71B improves lcd2 a little, very little such that I question myself why I bought it.
Then the cable upgrade to balanced cable which makes quiet a difference from SE output. 

So the list of upgrade goes on for LCD2 for an improvement.... but beats it's going to be always muddy period.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 68
No one's yet suggested what the LCD-2 needs to reach "full potential", and what it has to do with price or power if enough volume is achieved. No, the iPad doesn't get too loud, and its distortion specs probably won't look too hot at near full output, but it's perfectly serviceable.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #52 of 68
It will save you money to buy a headphone you'l love, and than later spending money on source + amp.
Most people will buy a cheaper headphone, then buy a low-priced DAC + Amp, only to sell it all later, because they want a better headphone which requires a better DAC + Amp and again and again and again...

Its part of what makes this so much fun, but its also absolutely NUTS if you would make a list and see what you have spend.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #53 of 68
IMHO, it's quite possible to drive an LCD 2 out of an iPad.

In a quiet place, a comfortable listening level (loud enough to feel some good punch) is about 75 dB SPL. With average pop music that bring the peaks 8 dB SPL louder (DR 7 according to the software plugin). That brings the peak SPLs to 83 dB SPL. With the LCD-2 rated at 91 dB/mW, the power needed for the 83 dB SPL peaks is  0.16 mW ie. 0.089V.

So the iPad needs to swing about 0.1V to listen to pop music at comfortable volume, yay!

Anyway, even of you take classical music with 20 dB peaks, voltage swing should not be a problem.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #54 of 68
most planer magnetics might ''like'', yes i emphasize ''like'' power, but they are clearly efficient enough to be driven from an ipod at adequate listening levels and sound fine. you guys exaggerate too much. now the thing is, the op might not like it or not. only way to know is seeing if he can find someone who has one for auditioning.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #55 of 68
The LCD-2 suffer from an additional disadvantage, they are freaking big and a lot of people will subconsciously make the connection big = needs more power, which isn't really based on anything in this case.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #56 of 68

The LCD-2 has wowed me on occasion with it's scintillating
 mids and ample bass, however it's never come from a cheap rig.
 Sure you can make it perform from even an E9 but I don't
 find the result to be astounding.

Just today, it was all too obvious how a very expensive DAC
 with Class-A amp section can make it fall short.

Luxman DA200 DAC with integrated head amp and a Violectric
 V200 on the side just in case ~ a quick swap of the RCA cables
 really did reinforce to me at least that the $2500+ Luxman did
 not make it sound like the $995USD headphone it is.

The V200 on the other hand with the Luxman providing a
 signal was everything that makes the LCD-2's reputation
 what it is today on Head-Fi.

In this case, a reasonable DAC + the V200 is a better
 result than a $2500 top tier DAC/amp.

No specs exist on the Luxman amp section to the
 best of my knowledge ~ a sure fire sign in my experience
 with Dac/amps that it's not too shabby but definitely
 far from reference grade.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #58 of 68
Considering the comparison in the first place, I'll go with Beats, because you obviously are a troll, or just plain dumb.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #59 of 68
Do some research, doesn't matter how much money you have, no one likes waste money like that, for rap a great starter with plenty bass are Sony mdr v6, only $70, if you feel like spending some more money get a pair of denons, ad2000, plenty of bass to suit your needs. Beats, if all you want to hear is Muddy bass.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #60 of 68
the lcd-2 would blow the beats out of the water even without an amp coming right off an ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back