Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #13,606 of 18,459
And by that you mean that pp312 is much younger than HK_Sends?

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #13,607 of 18,459
Quote:
Well, you're probably good enough, but unfortunately people like me, who never found the treble distant, dull or missing anything, are just as mystified as before.

snip

I think it just depends on what you use as the reference point, and what stuff they're listening to.

I've had the Stax O2's for a while now, and the very first moment I heard the LCD-2's I couldn't help but think that the LCD-2's sound signature walked along the same relaxed clarity path.

Imaging aside, there is next to no difference in terms of tonality between the two, but I couldn't help but notice something peculiar about the treble. In terms of volume, there's no problem at all, but there was a strange hazyness to the LCD-2's treble. I'm not sure what it is but I feel that the treble is somewhat slightly out of focus. Nothing sounds missing at all because it's all there, and the differences were only apparent when I ping ponged between the two extensively.

Anyway, the rev.1 LCD-2 was an absolute ripper of a headphone, but from some of the impressions of the rev. 2, it sounds like they've got the treble in focus now.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #13,608 of 18,459

I think it just depends on what you use as the reference point, and what stuff they're listening to.

I've had the Stax O2's for a while now, and the very first moment I heard the LCD-2's I couldn't help but think that the LCD-2's sound signature walked along the same relaxed clarity path.

Imaging aside, there is next to no difference in terms of tonality between the two, but I couldn't help but notice something peculiar about the treble. In terms of volume, there's no problem at all, but there was a strange hazyness to the LCD-2's treble. I'm not sure what it is but I feel that the treble is somewhat slightly out of focus. Nothing sounds missing at all because it's all there, and the differences were only apparent when I ping ponged between the two extensively.

Anyway, the rev.1 LCD-2 was an absolute ripper of a headphone, but from some of the impressions of the rev. 2, it sounds like they've got the treble in focus now.

Not surprising at at considering that the FR of both the LCD 2 and the O2 are nearly the same:

Omega 2 Mk2
f166cd45_007mk2-right.jpg

LCD-2
f56b3e5e_lcd-2-right.jpg

Credits to Lunatique for the measures.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #13,609 of 18,459
If I don´t remember wrong, Lunatique had as "disclaimer" on the measurements. Something like "using a CD to cover the pads and put a microphone inside the hole". Or, something like that. I guess the aforementioned FR-graphs therefore are indications, and not measurements I would take for granted 100%.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #13,610 of 18,459
If I don´t remember wrong, Lunatique had as "disclaimer" on the measurements. Something like "using a CD to cover the pads and put a microphone inside the hole". Or, something like that. I guess the aforementioned FR-graphs therefore are indications, and not measurements I would take for granted 100%.

He means that the measurements he takes can't be compared to measurements from other sources such as Tyll's or Headroom's because he isn't using any kind of standardized gear. But comparing his measurements among themselves is quite reasonable.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #13,611 of 18,459
Hey nice review Hk.

I am still a lil bit lost though. Maybe I hv 2 do the same thing as u
rolleyes.gif
 to actually compare them myself.

That bass thing got me really interested, But I am not sure if I can live with that treble thing.

I understand why ppl say abt that V shape sound.  It sounds like the sound signiature is leaning towards to D7000's, more bass, more treble.

So do you experience more sibilance?

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #13,612 of 18,459
Quote:
If you want mid-field speakers to complement LCD-2s, the obvious choice for me is Magnepan speakers (albeit with a monster of an amp). When I A/B the two, the are very similar in sound signatures (the LCD-2s trounces the Maggies on the bass department, but the Magnepans absolutely destroys the LCD-2s on separation, air and stage - as is expected of speakers of course). Although their sweet spot is somewhat small, so placement/room is important...

Goodness, I was expecting those Maggies to be 3x the cost of that. The things is, to get them to the UK, they would be :frowning2: Thank you though, for the recommendation.

Quote:
It would be worth it.  I am hearing more and more detail and layering in my music.  The faster diaphragm lets me hear distinct string plucks and hammer strikes on the harpsichord and piano.  The soundstage seems bigger and definitely more "3d".  I can hear oboes layered on top of pianos layered on top of violins.  Someone will play notes right next to me and then someone will play further away in front or to the side and it's so distinct!  I actually heard the some oboe valves flapping during a solo passage.  It seems cliche' but I am really hearing the music for the first time with no recessed parts of the freq spectrum.

Thank you for your review efforts thus far, KH. Would you be so kind as to listen to this track again with the Rev 1's with a critical ear, just to be sure that you can't hear these details with them?

Increased soundstage and tighter bass has me interested in going to Rev 2's, although like many, I'm scared of treble :¬)

Quote:
Hey nice review Hk.

I am still a lil bit lost though. Maybe I hv 2 do the same thing as u
rolleyes.gif
 to actually compare them myself.

That bass thing got me really interested, But I am not sure if I can live with that treble thing.

I understand why ppl say abt that V shape sound.  It sounds like the sound signiature is leaning towards to D7000's, more bass, more treble.

So do you experience more sibilance?

My sentiments exactly.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #13,613 of 18,459

Quote:
And by that you mean that pp312 is much younger than HK_Sends?

No, where did you see that ? The graphs are just statistics, it doesn't mean a 20 year old hear inevitably more high frequencies than a 60 year old.
My point is, our ears have different sensibilty to high frequencies (and age can be one factor) so one person may see a headphone as bright whereas another don't see it as such
ph34r.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #13,615 of 18,459
Hello folks,

i´m just wondering when i read this long thread about how unprofessional some goes up with the thematic Headphone. When i read something like : "I heard my headphone only at night because of disturbing no one else and if there is no one to disturb i heard of course speakers!!!

I think thats ok but People who think so please don´t write tests on headphones!!!! You don´t recognize the essential about headphone and what cames out has realy nothing to do with the trues. 

Now i read hear from persons who get the rev.2 and brings them immediately  in comparison to the rev.1.

What kind of professionality is this?

I can understand that all are curiosity but don´t forget to be professionel.

The LCD-2 needs for completly burn in at least around 200 hours.

Only then we can make a right and fair comparison.

The Rev.1 for example lost his "light capped" midrange i think at 180 to 200 hrs. and reach his fabulous open sounding.

So i hope you will do it right and burn in your rev. 2  before bringing in comparison.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #13,616 of 18,459
Are those the ones people refer to as maggie's? I'll check them out, thanks. 

Quote:
If you want mid-field speakers to complement LCD-2s, the obvious choice for me is Magnepan speakers (albeit with a monster of an amp). When I A/B the two, the are very similar in sound signatures (the LCD-2s trounces the Maggies on the bass department, but the Magnepans absolutely destroys the LCD-2s on separation, air and stage - as is expected of speakers of course). Although their sweet spot is somewhat small, so placement/room is important...

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #13,620 of 18,459
Same here. I never noticed a difference before or after 150+ hours burn-in time with either the rev1 or the rev2. Your listening sophistication will improve thanks to LCD-2's sonics and its ability to engage you, and your appreciation will heighten as a result.

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, I A/B tested a loaner pair (hundreds of hours use) with a brand new pair (both Rev 1), and they were identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back