Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #11,896 of 18,459
Back on topic, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these in the fall to be paired with the Lyr and my Nuforce.  Should I expect a world of difference between my current favorite, the D7000, and the LCD-2?

May 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #11,897 of 18,459
People should be able to comment on whether they think certain cables make a difference WITH THE LCD-2,or not. But to then turn that in to a "all cables matter", or do not, is, IMHO, to go off topic. The point is to share opinions RELATED TO THE LCD-2 SPECIFICALLY, in this thread. So if someone says, "this cable made a difference in the sound of the LCD-2, to my ears"' it is fine to say " I tried that cable and thought it made no difference". It is NOT OK to respond with "no cables matter", in the context of this thread.

May 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #11,899 of 18,459
Jack, you seem to like to over generalize everything though.  Thats kind of the problem that I think most people have with your posts, they aren't really directed at anything in particular and better yet not for the LCD-2.  Saying that silver is only perceived as bright as opposed to saying so and so's silver cables don't sound bright with the LCD-2 are two totally different things.

May 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #11,900 of 18,459
I stated this because complin said silver was brighter and better with the lcd-2 when even the cable manufactures state that it is not.
I did not mean to offend anyone, clearly I should stick to the sound science forums. 

May 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #11,901 of 18,459
I saw on Audeze's FB page they mentioned a new headband prototype they were working on.  That will be interesting.

Like quite a few folks, I have been hoping for a leather headband that would go over the existing one. Maybe this is finally coming!

May 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #11,902 of 18,459

Quote:
People should be able to comment on whether they think certain cables make a difference WITH THE LCD-2,or not. But to then turn that in to a "all cables matter", or do not, is, IMHO, to go off topic. The point is to share opinions RELATED TO THE LCD-2 SPECIFICALLY, in this thread. So if someone says, "this cable made a difference in the sound of the LCD-2, to my ears"' it is fine to say " I tried that cable and thought it made no difference". It is NOT OK to respond with "no cables matter", in the context of this thread.

I've got to agree with Skylab.  I definitely want to hear peoples perspectives on cables they have tried and I want to hear it in depth.  If you purchased a cable for your LCD's and it didn't' make a difference I want to know.  If you bought a cable and you found it did make a difference I want to know.  What I don't want to see ever are people getting berated over their purchases or their observations on the cable they are reporting on. This is valuable knowledge to me.  I respect and welcome everyones experiences with different cables and I am very interested in them.  For those of us who value this knowledge we don't want to see people NOT report their findings because they just do not want to hear the "Snake Oil" lament and have to fight that force EVERY SINGLE TIME something gets reported.  If people want to make the general argument that cable make no difference go to the science forum. You won't be impeding anyone in there.

May 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #11,903 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I saw on Audeze's FB page they mentioned a new headband prototype they were working on.  That will be interesting.

Like quite a few folks, I have been hoping for a leather headband that would go over the existing one. Maybe this is finally coming!

I think a new headband is definitely coming.

May 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #11,905 of 18,459

Great addendum to an excellent post.  I think that sums it up pretty well for me as well - I'm open to all opinions and observations and constructive discussions (I'm probably even a bit more tolerant to the off-topic), but when it comes to myopic opinions that seem to dismiss or disregard others' point of view I would actually hope there's no forum that's appropriate to that kind of attitude. 

Quote:

Quote:
I've got to agree with Skylab.  I definitely want to hear peoples perspectives on cables they have tried and I want to hear it in depth.  If you purchased a cable for your LCD's and it didn't' make a difference I want to know.  If you bought a cable and you found it did make a difference I want to know.  What I don't want to see ever are people getting berated over their purchases or their observations on the cable they are reporting on. This is valuable knowledge to me.  I respect and welcome everyones experiences with different cables and I am very interested in them.  For those of us who value this knowledge we don't want to see people NOT report their findings because they just do not want to hear the "Snake Oil" lament and have to fight that force EVERY SINGLE TIME something gets reported.  If people want to make the general argument that cable make no difference go to the science forum. You won't be impeding anyone in there.

May 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #11,906 of 18,459

Quote:
Back on topic, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these in the fall to be paired with the Lyr and my Nuforce.  Should I expect a world of difference between my current favorite, the D7000, and the LCD-2?

not a world of difference, but certainly a difference...

The LCD-2 would be a D7000 with more present mids, highs not as "hot" and a "deeper" (not actually, just by contrast), but less midbass oriented low end.

May 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #11,907 of 18,459
I am sorry but that experiment was sheer nonsense, provided almost no evidence and did not come to a worthwhile conclusion.
I have tested many silver cables and found they make no difference compared to any other cables I have tested.
This manufacture http://www.silveraudio.com/faqs.htm says that silver cables are not bright.
I have tested loads of cables with both the lcd-2 and come to the conclusion the make zero difference,
the reason I did this is because poeple on forums kept raving about how big a difference cables made and I could not believe they didn't make a difference.

May 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #11,909 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks jax, I was beginning to feel incomplete.  How do you like the V181 with them?

I like the V181 very much, WarriorAnt.  I made some comments about it in the ApexPeak review I did on the Loaner thread.  It's an excellent match for the LCD-2's to my ears, giving a very even handed delivery of the entire frequency spectrum with a lack of any stridency...very engaging and non-fatiguing. Solid bass performance that I thought went a bit lower than the APV, while both kept a firm grip on control down there.  Important aspects of it's performance to me are delivery of very natural vocals...grainless, pure...perhaps erring on the more neutral side with the V181.  When I compared it directly to the APV my V181 only had about 40 hours on it as I recall, I thought the APV added a bit of a boost to the low mids giving it a more fleshy rendering of vocals...a bit more rich.  I wish I could compare them again with a whole lot more time on the Violectric.  I marginally preferred the APV for a slightly warmer and richer presentation overall - not sure if it was just in the mids or throughout the range.  Member, Equus, hearing the same comparison with his own music (quite different from my own) at my place, seemed to marginally prefer the V181, as did a good friend of mine whose musical tastes are more similar to my own.  I did not waver in my own preference for the APV in comparing the two, but again, with low hours on the V181.  You could certainly not go far astray with either one, but they do sound different. The V200, is of course another obvious candidate that reportedly is also great with LCD-2's.  I have no direct experience with that amp to comment.  Those three amps would remain on my personal shortlist for the LCD-2's - but then there are lots of others out there that could serve you well also.  I think what the V181 is delivering for me at the pricepoint is very compelling when weighing against the cost of some of the heavyweights.  You'd really have to listen yourself, of course, to weigh out those differences and determine whether they are there for you, and whether they justify the pricetag if they are.  I would have probably gone with the APV if space were not an issue for me (my rig is in my compact office space where desk and shelf room is at a premium - and exposed tubes are subject to lots of activity around them) - that said, I'm very happy with the V181 - it serves me well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back