Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,846 of 13,132
Can anyone who has experience with both say whether the benefits of the LCD3s over the 2s are worth the extra expenditure if one only listens to rock, blues, acoustic.....a little jazz, but no classical?  I understand some say the LCD 2 maybe has better bass for rock than the 3s?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,847 of 13,132
Can anyone who has experience with both say whether the benefits of the LCD3s over the 2s are worth the extra expenditure if one only listens to rock, blues, acoustic.....a little jazz, but no classical?  I understand some say the LCD 2 maybe has better bass for rock than the 3s?

Thanks!
The LCD-2 bass seems like it hits with more power than the LCD-3. The LCD-3 has more detail and does a better job with treble presentation and resolution, but it's not a night and day difference. No one can tell you if the LCD-3 is worth the extra 1K, but I think the LCD-2 is the better value. I have an LCD-X on the way, so that's a third choice to confuse you. As for matching headphones and your music tastes, I don't see a difference between the LCD-2s and LCD-3s.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,848 of 13,132
  Congrats on the lcd2!! That's a fine hp you've got yourself. Did you go with bamboo and leather? Give them another week and let me know how you feel about the comfort. I'll loved them over the first three days but then the weight got to me. Hopefully it will be a non issue for you. 

I'd be interested to know how you find the bass compared the he400...

I got bamboo and leather. The bamboo looks much better in person than in pictures. So far the weight is not an issue at all. I had them on for a little over 6 hours last night and I put them back on first thing this morning and they still feel fine. I barely know that they are there. 
I'm terrible at describing sound but so far I find the bass of the LCD-2 to be more natural and impactful than the HE-400. To me the HE-400 bass sounds like it is maybe more extended and exciting but not as "real" if that makes sense. I really love the bass of both. I like the overall presentation of the LCD-2 much better than the HE-400. The treble of the HE-400 could grate on me during a long listening session.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,849 of 13,132

Thanks!

I think thats a personal choice. Some people have regretted moving from the LCD-2 to the 3: its a very distinctive sound signature.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,851 of 13,132
  Thanks. Do you mean that the LCD-2 has the 'very distinctive sound signature' or the 3? Because when I auditioned the 2, I liked it's sound signature a lot.

The 2 has a very distinctive sound signature. And just because a headphone is technically superior doesn't mean that it will reproduce that sound signature properly, which can make a sound signature sound worse; beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,852 of 13,132
New LCD-2 owner here; the package showed up from HeadRoom yesterday evening. I've been on Westone 4Rs 100% of the time for a few months now and added the LCD-2 to start working on a solid setup at home for serious listening.

Overall I am really pleased with them. I don't pretend to have a super finely tuned ear (who cares), but so far as I can tell I made a great choice and they are a really good fit for me. I have a pretty broad taste in music, and the LCD-2s have done really well with everything I have thrown at them. So far they have shone through the most with the self titled Dire Straits album and Ratatat - Classics. Surprisingly, they also seem to be a bit more forgiving with questionably mastered tracks than the 4Rs, which is all too common with a lot of stuff from the metal genres.

Coincidentally, my Westone 4Rs compliment them pretty well, which is great since they still get used daily at work. Granted, you have to tame the 4R's ~80hz region via EQ by ~1db, but after that I find the presentations are fairly similar (though the 4R lacks resolution pretty much everywhere in comparison.).

For anyone considering the LCD-2 that may not initially be able to put a bunch of money in to a DAC/Amp/etc.. , do not let that dissuade you. I'm feeding the LCD-2s with either FLAC or 320kbps Ogg Vorbis (Spotify Premium) media, a Behringer UCA202, and a Schiit Magni. It doesn't get much cheaper than that, though everything is a pretty good price:performance ration, and I am still pretty blown away. Next up for me is swapping the UCA202 out for a Modi or Bifrost.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,853 of 13,132
Changed over the earpads and headband to the leather from Vegan. Not noticing any meaningful difference. Either way though I have to say I like the appearance better this way, I only got the vegan for hot days/summer.

I too have bamboo, I got it on the pretense of it being lighter.

Hope you all enjoy your new LCD's guys! Check out Hold your Colour by Pendulum if you haven't heard it, dance bliss!

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,856 of 13,132
brand new LCD2 owner here, picked them up from a fellow head fi'er on friday.
i've spent the most of this weekend listening to them , they are amazing, just amazing
gonna start at the beginning of the thread, and catch up to y'all !

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,858 of 13,132
  brand new LCD2 owner here, picked them up from a fellow head fi'er on friday.
i've spent the most of this weekend listening to them , they are amazing, just amazing
gonna start at the beginning of the thread, and catch up to y'all !

Welcome to the club! Yup Amazing is a great way to describe them. I love LOVE mine too!
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,859 of 13,132
oh man... did you guys notice the price went up to $1145? I wouldn't expect price lowering, but certainly not increase price, especially when the LCD-x and LCD-xc is out...

btw, is it still worth getting the LCD 2?

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,860 of 13,132
  oh man... did you guys notice the price went up to $1145? I wouldn't expect price lowering, but certainly not increase price, especially when the LCD-x and LCD-xc is out...

btw, is it still worth getting the LCD 2?

Bamboo is still $995. Only the Rosewood went up. That was a while ago. Maybe last year? Whether it's worth is a personel decision. Since most people in the world would consider it crazy to spend a $1000 on headphones no matter how good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back