Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,786 of 13,132
I've found that EQing the mids down a little bit (just 1 or 2 db) really brings the bass out at lower volumes.  I moved to LCD-2 from Denons though, so I am used to a U shaped sound sig.

That's just absurd. The mids is the LCD2'S strongest point why would you would want to tone down mids for more bass? Anything the headphone needs is up the treble and tone down the bass a bit.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,788 of 13,132
That's just absurd. The mids is the LCD2'S strongest point why would you would want to tone down mids for more bass? Anything the headphone needs is up the treble and tone down the bass a bit.

Just because someone else's listening habits don't coincide with your own doesn't make them "absurd" lol. The guy wants some more kick out of his LCD2's bass, ain't nothing wrong with that.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,791 of 13,132
i run mine with the ALO The Pan Am connected to the computer and the Portaphile 627x portable. Both have plenty of power to drive them.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #1,793 of 13,132

Just because someone else's listening habits don't coincide with your own doesn't make them "absurd" lol. The guy wants some more kick out of his LCD2's bass, ain't nothing wrong with that.

Didn't see this 1 week ago... lol

If he wants more bass he may as well look at other bassy performers. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,794 of 13,132

Didn't see this 1 week ago... lol

If he wants more bass he may as well look at other bassy performers. 

That's a load of crap.  If he wants to EQ his Audeze there's nothing wrong with that.  The EQ'd Audeze will probably give more performance throughout the spectrum than 'other bassy performers.'

The LCD is a very mid-focused headphone, and at low volume level listening it is easy to lose the bass and treble, because the mids are ever so present.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #1,795 of 13,132
Well, I didn't say I exclusively listen with that EQ.  In fact I simply tried it once or twice and seemed to work very well at low volumes and thought I would share.  The bass on dynamics, such as D2000, is much more present but the distortion in the bass is much higher than LCD2.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,796 of 13,132
Hi guys! I don't own an LCD-2, and sadly don't plan to. I will, however, be making a mid to hi-fi purchase very soon, and need some help figuring out what I want. I love the dark, liquid Audez'e sound, but simply can't afford to shell out $1000 dollars for the headphones alone. Originally I was going to buy the Mad Dogs, which are well known for having a bit of a darker sound. However, I decided to extend my budget for the headphones to around $600. At that price point, the best contenders seem the be the HE-500, and the Alpha Dog. However, both of them are more treble focused and don't have that liquid feel (from what I've read). Do you guys know of any alternatives which have a similar sound signature to the LCD-2, but can be had for ~$600 new?

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,797 of 13,132
There is a lot of bass on the LCD-2 for me. Too much sometimes. Definitely north of neutral. Anything more like the old Denon series gets messy and smeared and goes into crazy basshead territory imo. Although the frequency curve is flat from 20 herz to 1k, the bass in emphasized because the upper-mids start dipping hard, so in contrast the bass stands out prominently. It hits hard and deep and is ever present if your song even has a little bit of bass.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,798 of 13,132
  There is a lot of bass on the LCD-2 for me. Too much sometimes. Definitely north of neutral. Anything more like the old Denon series gets messy and smeared and goes into crazy basshead territory imo. Although the frequency curve is flat from 20 herz to 1k, the bass in emphasized because the upper-mids start dipping hard, so in contrast the bass stands out prominently. It hits hard and deep and is ever present if your song even has a little bit of bass.

No doubt. LCD2r2's frequency response is very simple, flat from 10 Hz to 1000 Hz, then a sloped drop of -5 dB or so from 1000 Hz to 2000 Hz, then flat from 2000 Hz to ~8000 Hz, past which it behaves a bit funky. That 5 dB warm tilt is all that it takes for it to sound warm or bassy at times.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,799 of 13,132
That's a load of crap.  If he wants to EQ his Audeze there's nothing wrong with that.  The EQ'd Audeze will probably give more performance throughout the spectrum than 'other bassy performers.'

The LCD is a very mid-focused headphone, and at low volume level listening it is easy to lose the bass and treble, because the mids are ever so present.

How is that a load of crap if he listens to basshead material and wants the smeared and quantity mid bass of the Denon's then he may as well look at other bassy performers nothing wrong with that.

On low volume you get a load of bass and virtually no treble (hyperbole but you know what I mean).

I know from experience the LCD2's don't respond very well to eq due to its overdampened transducer, you will never be able to eq these to have just a brighter and more forward treble while keeping the mids and lows at the same db frequency response it is just not going to happen, you turn that sound up you'll get crap sound output.

Well, I didn't say I exclusively listen with that EQ.  In fact I simply tried it once or twice and seemed to work very well at low volumes and thought I would share.  The bass on dynamics, such as D2000, is much more present but the distortion in the bass is much higher than LCD2.

Yes depending what you've eq'd and remember eq'ing the strongest aspect of an headphone is the easiest. The LCD2's have plenty of bass and it is to eq it, the weakest point being the treble and soundstage is something an eq will not work properly on low level listening. Hence why the LCD2'S sound best when listened more loud than other headphones in the volume dial due to its laid back sound sig. Any more eq you're going to get a rolloff and a Smythe Realiser can increase soundstage.

Exactly and I've been saying it for a long time these are far from sounding neutral despite measuring fairly flat.

EDIT: Fixed spelling mistakes as Head-fi mobile is broken as schit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back