Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #12,331 of 13,132
I personally think the LCD 2 would be a great complementary headphone to the HD800. (I'm not familiar with the T90). I would not use an HD800 for type music you described (unless you carefully EQ the heck out of them.) The LCD 2 are bass monsters.

I understand that electronics will be more natural with LCD-2. But will they cope with the resolution, the scene? I listen to a lot of ambient, downtempo, progressive house. I will connect headphones through the balance

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #12,332 of 13,132
... The LCD 2 are bass monsters.
I understand that electronics will be more natural with LCD-2. But will they cope with the resolution, the scene? I listen to a lot of ambient, downtempo, progressive house. I will connect headphones through the balance
The LCD-2 are bass monsters, but but do not have "huge" bass. The bass is not emphasized. But it does not roll off, it has flat linear response down to subsonics with extremely low distortion.
The LCD-2 and HD800 have complementary/opposite responses. The LCD-2 has ruler-flat bass and a dip in the mid-treble. The HD800 rolls off the bass, and has a peak in the treble.
Due to its response dip in the mid-treble, the LCD-2 sounds less resolving or detailed than the HD800.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #12,333 of 13,132
Tell me, how is lCD-2 in terms of electronics, tribal ambient, indie, house and other things? I am currently using a Beyer T90 with a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA amp and am not satisfied with the way they play. Too light and bright and not enough bass. Would be a better upgrade for me to darker headphones but listening to a lot of electronics. Although the T90 has a big stage and a lot of air, that's the only thing I like. I also look at the HD800, but they are also bright.
If the amp drives the LCD-2 well, do they have stage and air problems?

Sorry for the translator if something is wrong)
From what I listened to electronic, and house, they make you feel like youre in a night club. They can go low, and beat your ears up something fierce if that is what youre feeding them. The Lcd-2f driver is very aggressive, imo and will keep up with anything you throw at it, bass, mid or highs. With metal they’re downright brutal. Now that’s the LCD-2f the fazored varients (mine is a 2020) is aggressive across the entire spectrum. Non fazored are the darker, thicker, so if a darker sound is what you want the LCD-2 classic without the fazors is a better choice. I keep editing this post as I listen to them, but damn opera vocals, vocals in general these thing just are perfect, as I am listening to Tarja Turunen’s ava maria. Her voice is a bit difficult headphone wise. Either headphones make her sound buckety, or too tinny. Not the LCD-2. They truly transmit the power, timbre and force of her voice without coloration.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #12,334 of 13,132
Too light
Tell me, how is lCD-2 in terms of electronics, tribal ambient, indie, house and other things? I am currently using a Beyer T90 with a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA amp and am not satisfied with the way they play. Too light and bright and not enough bass. Would be a better upgrade for me to darker headphones but listening to a lot of electronics. Although the T90 has a big stage and a lot of air, that's the only thing I like. I also look at the HD800, but they are also bright.
If the amp drives the LCD-2 well, do they have stage and air problems?

Sorry for the translator if something is wrong)

Too Light and too Bright sounds like MF. (I use their x-can and I love how it balances the LCD2). Too light/bright does not sound like the LCD2, at all. The early LCD2s had extra bassy ear pads also (made it tad too bassy vs air though IMHO).

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #12,336 of 13,132
I was finding my LCD-2s too dark in tonality until I got the MF MX-HPA, then they opened up, even more so when I bought a balanced cable. The sound still has big bass, and subdued treble. Acoustic music is not really neutral.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have roots in studio equipment, most of their headphones have a 'correct' balance, which many people find bright. I prefer them matched to warm amplifiers.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #12,337 of 13,132
I was finding my LCD-2s too dark in tonality until I got the MF MX-HPA, then they opened up, even more so when I bought a balanced cable. The sound still has big bass, and subdued treble. Acoustic music is not really neutral.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have roots in studio equipment, most of their headphones have a 'correct' balance, which many people find bright. I prefer them matched to warm amplifiers.

I'm not usually a fan of darker sounding headphones but these converted me, if you listen, hand heart all the micro-details are there and that's what I love about these, you get an easy listen but don't lose out on the detail.

I'm running mine off the Deckard but also want to grab a pure silver cable in the future to see if I can pull out a little bit more treble.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #12,338 of 13,132
Well, perhaps I am old and grumpy. But I think the old LCD2 sounds just amazing still. Go upgrade the source if it is SLIGHTLY off. 1 There is the USB-digital (e.g. shiit eitr) . 2 digtal-analogue (e.g cheap vintage item). 3 Amplification (whatever you prefer, solid state or tubes). (THEN If it is simply not there, go on...)

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #12,339 of 13,132
This is a bit random but has anyone weighed their LCD-2 in their case + cardboard box? I'm selling mine on ebay and don't have a scale. Trying to give shipping cost estimate to interested buyers...

Have you checked out the Amazon pages for the item? I think a lot of them have shipping dimensions and weights, separate from the actual unboxed item weight. Hopefully that helps!

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #12,340 of 13,132
I sold off my 2016 LCD-2Fs and I recently got a pair of 2019 LCD-2Cs. Anyone have any impression on the newer 2Fs compared to the older ones? Considering jumping back to the fazor models but I'm curious if there's any major sound differences.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #12,341 of 13,132
I sold off my 2016 LCD-2Fs and I recently got a pair of 2019 LCD-2Cs. Anyone have any impression on the newer 2Fs compared to the older ones? Considering jumping back to the fazor models but I'm curious if there's any major sound differences.
It could only get worse honestly. Tonally, it seems the new leather pads affect LCD headphones drastically in the upper mids, with the LCD-X having completely sucked out mids. The LCD-2F 2019 I had had weird mids too, with a strong resonance (ringing) at 900K.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #12,344 of 13,132

I had 2019 classics and LCD2F at the same time. Sold the classics. LCD2F either was a golden sample and the classics weren't but didn't like them even with velour pads. Way too dark and rolled in the highs for me. LCD2F has much better quality lows and highs and extension. Mids are about the same. LCD2F respond amazing to parametric EQ also.

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #12,345 of 13,132
Hi there,

currently enjoying a 2020 LCD 2f with Audivarna (incl Metal571 EQ), Dragonfly Cobalt and Shiit Magni 3+. I am now looking for an upgrade of DAC/headphone amp.

I am considering a RME ADI 2 vs. Questyle 400i. Any thoughts? Does it make sense as an upgrade? Significant? Any other thoughts/recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back