Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #12,301 of 13,132
Is the original leather headband as uncomfortable as it is made out to be or is it doable? I keep seeing older lcd2's at reasonable prices on the secondhand market, but the headband concerns me especially given the weight of the cans. I know you can swap it out for the suspension one,but i'd prefer not having to drop another $125 to make the headphones usable.
It depends on the state of the leather headband. The leather headband on my secondhand LCD-2 rev. 2 had its leather already hardened to the extent that it was like wearing rocks on top of my head. So, replacing it with the new comfort strap headband was must. On my head, there's plenty of clearance between the metal part and the comfort strap while worn. Also, I store those cans in their box rather than hang them by their comfort strap.

Another option for the leather headband is to augment it with a Lohb strap.

For me, comfort-wise: comfort strap headband > metal headband with central foam (LCD-2 rev. 1) >>>> leather headband (LCD-2 rev. 2)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #12,302 of 13,132
There's a whole thread here on Head-Fi devoted to the "major" revision in 2016 across their entire line that affected the voicing:

Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)

Thanks

These are very good, I've only had them two days and must have put at least 20 hours on them already, much bigger upgrade from the K712's than I could've imagined, they are nowhere near as warm as I was expecting, they have a 'thickness' to the sound but the detail is still there which is strange, the one thing they are missing is the sparkling highs but the mids and bass more than make up for that, they are begging to be played loud, the vocals are insane.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #12,303 of 13,132
Is the original leather headband as uncomfortable as it is made out to be or is it doable? I keep seeing older lcd2's at reasonable prices on the secondhand market, but the headband concerns me especially given the weight of the cans. I know you can swap it out for the suspension one,but i'd prefer not having to drop another $125 to make the headphones usable.
Stock headband on the lcd-2 is perfectly fine to me. Ive gone a full 4 hrs constantly with them on.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #12,304 of 13,132
Thanks

These are very good, I've only had them two days and must have put at least 20 hours on them already, much bigger upgrade from the K712's than I could've imagined, they are nowhere near as warm as I was expecting, they have a 'thickness' to the sound but the detail is still there which is strange, the one thing they are missing is the sparkling highs but the mids and bass more than make up for that, they are begging to be played loud, the vocals are insane.
Oh to me the highs on these things are perfect. I find them insanely good for metal.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #12,305 of 13,132
Stock headband on the lcd-2 is perfectly fine to me. Ive gone a full 4 hrs constantly with them on.
I found the stock headband pretty much unusable and bought the Lohb strap which works very well. I found it astonishing that Audeze could sell amazing sounding headphones for nearly 1000 pounds that were unusable for many (most?) users because of the comfort issue, when it was something that was so easily resolved.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #12,306 of 13,132
If that's your LCD-2 in your avatar, then that's the newer headband.

The LCD-2 rev. 1 headband has a metal frame with foam in the middle:

lcd-2_trio_19.jpg

Afterwards, the LCD-2 rev. 2 and early fazors featured a headband surrounded in leather:

81i8EpwAsnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The comfort strap version in your avatar came later (circa 2018?):

LCD-2_Updated_2019_4471x4471_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #12,307 of 13,132
If that's your LCD-2 in your avatar, then that's the newer headband.

The LCD-2 rev. 1 headband has a metal frame with foam in the middle:

lcd-2_trio_19.jpg

Afterwards, the LCD-2 rev. 2 and early fazors featured a headband surrounded in leather:

81i8EpwAsnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The comfort strap version in your avatar came later (circa 2018?)
Aaaaah i see yeah these are 2020’s. They’re dangerous. Im toe tapping and head bobbing way past my sleep time 😳😂 time flies WAY too fast when I have these on. Its a good thing tho. I def have to say their new headband does the trick, at least for me. No pressure, no fatigue, the weight seems (again to me) a non issue.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #12,308 of 13,132
Aaaaah i see yeah these are 2020’s. They’re dangerous. Im toe tapping and head bobbing way past my sleep time 😳😂 time flies WAY too fast when I have these on. Its a good thing tho. I def have to say their new headband does the trick, at least for me. No pressure, no fatigue, the weight seems (again to me) a non issue.
As Im listening to Edenbridge, Chicago, and ZZtop, through these, and a ifi black label through the apple cable. These literally sound better than most speakers Ive owned including Linn. These headphones convey a energy Ive not found elsewhere. They exceed the LCD-i3 (not by much tho) and blow all my other headphones away. Listening to a “8d” spooky skeletons song feels like Im a nightclub.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #12,309 of 13,132
edit -

All sorted now, you don't need to transfer the warranty across online, you just need to be in possession of the original invoice from an authorised and that is enough for the new owner to make a warranty claim.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #12,310 of 13,132
More than doable. I even prefer it over the new one. I find that with the new headband, the leather suspension strap tends to stretch which then allows your head to make contact with the spring steel bands. In that state, which is hard to avoid after some time, it's less comfortable than the original headband, which, if nothing else, doesn't ever get less comfortable. I am definitely in the minority here and you may disagree with me if you try both, but the original style headband shouldn't be a reason to miss out on a deal.

I find the leather headband to be rather comfy. Hair got stuck in the original foam headband, but that one was fine as well otherwise.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #12,311 of 13,132
Do Audeze still offer spacers as my ears are touching the fazors and it's rather annoying?

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #12,312 of 13,132
Do Audeze still offer spacers as my ears are touching the fazors and it's rather annoying?
Why don't you email support and ask? Their customer service reps return emails pretty quickly. Probably the best place to find the answer that you seek.

Vid of spacers:

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #12,313 of 13,132
Why don't you email support and ask? Their customer service reps return emails pretty quickly. Probably the best place to find the answer that you seek.

Vid of spacers:

They just got back to me, unfortunately the spacers only fit the older pads and apparently I have the new ones, damn my sticky pointy out ears! very frustrating, I have quite a few headphones where my ears touch the driver covers/shielding but usually it's just soft flat padding so not much of an issue, these though are quite hard and bumpy with the fazors, lovely headphones but not sure they are keepers due to this which is a shame.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #12,315 of 13,132
Anyone know the shipping times buying from Audeze direct?
Since people are likely back working from home these days in California, I'd imagine that shipping times for Audeze will be longer than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back