Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #12,241 of 13,132
I'm not your bro, dude.

May 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #12,242 of 13,132
Hi. I'm still using an old LCD-2 Rev.2 bought back in 2011. I know there's new Audezes out there but I've never felt the need to upgrade headphones. I've been using it with the V200 amp and Rega dac for a long time. But there are a lot of new equipment since back then. Can anyone point me to newer DACs that would be an upgrade; preferably with a neutral to warm sound? Thanks.
Im currently drilling a hole into the floor with my foot using the idsd BL.

May 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #12,243 of 13,132
Ok I guess I need to Split the answer.
The question about the benchmark DAC in terms of warmth was, because Devarika Woulf specifically asked for neutral to warm sound.

For my personal upgrade I make plans waaay up in advance.
In October will get the Meze Empyrean, I guess that will be my personal endgame (in addition to my other cans so that I can keep other flavours)

After that I might upgrade/sidegrade the Rest of my chain.
The Oppo Sonica is amazing, neutral, clean analytical. Therefore I was looking for an R2R DAC to experience the warm Musical side.
Currently I am aiming for a Schiit Gungnir Multibit + Mjolnir stack.
From the Reviews they are great value for money and fit my taste in sound.
However since I am reading actively here for months I ineviteably also consider other options.
In the end only the listening Test will Show if the Reviews fit the Impression. From germany it's pretty hard to Test said amps and DACs beforehand though.

The Gungnir was extremely praised for its analogue sound while still retaining clarity and Detail. Also the unison USB is praised a lot and will be my Main input.

The Mjolnir would give me a first taste of tubes and offers tons of power. My cans all scale VERY well with power e.g. the Arya.

On top both have 5 years of warranty.

I guess I got totally carried away now, with the question "why to bother with an upgrade"
Sorry for derailing this thread.

The only thing I would caution about is matching a warm DAC with a warm amp to drive a warm headphone. That warmth and distortion will carry from one to the other and may color the end sound more than you expected or wanted. My advice is to start with the headphones and work back to the DAC. That will help you fine-tune the sound a bit more. With the flexibility of tube-rolling to alter sound, you may find that's enough to dial in the sound you want without worrying about a DAC at all. Plus, the DAC will almost certainly do the least to change the sound.

May 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #12,244 of 13,132
Deleted, was a mistake

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #12,245 of 13,132
The funny thing is no matter how far you boost the bass, the LCD-2 takes it, and then punches you in the face with it (sometimes almost literally) no hint of distortion,

oh Ive played with both switches lolol, the bass switch can sometimes push bass far too much for what my ears can handle lol, the LCD-2F can really go low, and its never slow.

That is the nice thing about planars generally: they don't distort with EQ easily at all. The advantage Audeze has over other planars, with the 2C being the best example, is that they can also slam like a good dynamic. So, hitting that bass boost on HiFiMan HE560 adds some nice warmth, but it definitely does not have that hard punch like the Audeze. For me the 2F and BL covers everything well enough that I can just use it as an all-rounder 75% of the time. Basically, for any time I don't need closed, portable, or super comfy.

May 27, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #12,246 of 13,132
That is the nice thing about planars generally: they don't distort with EQ easily at all. The advantage Audeze has over other planars, with the 2C being the best example, is that they can also slam like a good dynamic. So, hitting that bass boost on HiFiMan HE560 adds some nice warmth, but it definitely does not have that hard punch like the Audeze. For me the 2F and BL covers everything well enough that I can just use it as an all-rounder 75% of the time. Basically, for any time I don't need closed, portable, or super comfy.
The 2F can slam like a stage/concert speaker. With or without that bass switch on lol. They can go low if the song calls for it, or pound your head into a concussion should the song call for that. All the while unlike most dynamics(aside from the upper echelon ones) maintaining life like vocals and mids, and tweeter like treble.

May 27, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #12,247 of 13,132
Very true. The Audeze 106mm transducers are heavy but for a reason. They offer the best possible bass slam and energy in all available price range from $800 to $4000. Sure, other headphones are better in other things but bass slam? No way.

May 27, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #12,248 of 13,132
The 2F can slam like a stage/concert speaker. With or without that bass switch on lol. They can go low if the song calls for it, or pound your head into a concussion should the song call for that. All the while unlike most dynamics(aside from the upper echelon ones) maintaining life like vocals and mids, and tweeter like treble.
2C and 2F are more similar than different to my experience. Still, the 2F sounds more balanced with slightly better imaging while the 2C has more bass and more punch overall. Again, the differences are not huge but apparent.

May 27, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #12,249 of 13,132
2C and 2F are more similar than different to my experience. Still, the 2F sounds more balanced with slightly better imaging while the 2C has more bass and more punch overall. Again, the differences are not huge but apparent.

Yeah, just similar enough that it's very hard to justify owning both and just different enough that you'll torment yourself trying to do so anyway.

May 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #12,250 of 13,132
The 2C has more bass? Y’know I cant fathom that. I was just listening to a “8D” version of spooky skeletons remix on the 2F, and I felt like I was at the club with giant speakers on halloween. My head is still vibrating.

May 27, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #12,251 of 13,132
Yeah, just similar enough that it's very hard to justify owning both and just different enough that you'll torment yourself trying to do so anyway.
Oh Im eyeballing the LCD-4...... and a Abyss 1266 that neither I can afford or justify. Talking about torment. Although I am wondering..... are they really 4-5K dollars better

May 27, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #12,252 of 13,132
The 2C has more bass? Y’know I cant fathom that. I was just listening to a “8D” version of spooky skeletons remix on the 2F, and I felt like I was at the club with giant speakers on halloween. My head is still vibrating.

More slam in the bass for sure, slightly less clarity and slower decay there, and less treble to keep you from turning the volume up. That's how I hear them anyway. Taken together, they certainly give the impression of more bass.

Oh Im eyeballing the LCD-4...... and a Abyss 1266 that neither I can afford or justify. Talking about torment. Although I am wondering..... are they really 4-5K dollars better

lol Been there! I have the X, so it's the same thing again. Do I spend big on marginal improvement? So far, it's a no, but it's always tempting.

May 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #12,253 of 13,132
Yes, slightly more bass quantity on the 2C but better refinement and separation on the 2F. 2C being better for modern music, 2F being better for acoustic and instrumental. Again, these are quite subtle differences. They both share the same sound and tonality.

May 27, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #12,254 of 13,132
Yes, slightly more bass quantity on the 2C but better refinement and separation on the 2F. 2C being better for modern music, 2F being better for acoustic and instrumental. Again, these are quite subtle differences. They both share the same sound and tonality.
Oh Big Maybelle, peter, paul and mary, seal, billy ocean, Boston and fleetwood mac sound absolutely divine on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back