Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #11,956 of 13,132
Now I would say two things.
I know you are trying to be helpful and thanks. That said, I hope you won't take the following wrong way...
First an tube amp is not recommended with the LCD2 due to its rather dark signature.
Second, trebles are there believe me, they are not just in your face. I would say try with a beefy balanced solid state amp and take the time to let your ear accommodate with the new sound signature.
[me looking at my picture] It is pretty clear that my LCD2.1's (~50ohm impedance) are being driven by a solid state THX AAA 789 (balanced) through a balanced reterminated silver cable (see my post). If you saw my signature, you will see a can (HD6XX) that pairs quite nicely with my Darkvoice OTL. I also made a post on reddit a few days ago warning against an OTL like the Darkvoice (6.3V rectifier tube) pairing with planars (funny that) since there's simply not enough current due to the DV's high output impendance (~70ohms or so) to feed current-hungry planars. Also, if the THX AAA 789's 6000 mW @ 32 ohms isn't a beefy solid state (listening at 9-10 o'clock on the lowest gain setting), then I don't know what is. Maybe you are thinking about SimAudio's Moon 430HA with 8000mW @ 32ohms on tap? Beyond those two, I would have to run the LCD2.1's through speaker taps.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #11,957 of 13,132
I know you are trying to be helpful and thanks. That said, I hope you won't take the following wrong way...
[me looking at my picture] It is pretty clear that my LCD2.1's (~50ohm impedance) are being driven by a solid state THX AAA 789 (balanced) through a balanced reterminated silver cable (see my post). If you saw my signature, you will see a can (HD6XX) that pairs quite nicely with my Darkvoice OTL. I also made a post on reddit a few days ago warning against an OTL like the Darkvoice (6.3V rectifier tube) pairing with planars (funny that) since there's simply not enough current due to the DV's high output impendance (~70ohms or so) to feed current-hungry planars. Also, if the THX AAA 789's 6000 mW @ 32 ohms isn't a beefy solid state (listening at 9-10 o'clock on the lowest gain setting), then I don't know what is. Maybe you are thinking about SimAudio's Moon 430HA with 8000mW @ 32ohms on tap? Beyond those two, I would have to run the LCD2.1's through speaker taps.
Hehe didn't check your signature. So I guess you're set on the amp side :wink:. The rest of my post still stands tho.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #11,959 of 13,132
The LCD-2 Fazor with 2016 drivers is the most neutral, having the flattest response from sub-bass into mids, and a smaller/shallower dip around 4k. However, some people (such as those who listen to mostly rock/electronic music) might prefer the different sound of the LCD-2C. In any case, you want drivers from 2016 or later, since they're more robust/durable and they sound better. If you send it in for repair, that's what you'll get.

Also: Blue Jeans Cable makes a cable for any of the LCD headphones, cheaper than the OEM Audeze cable, and much higher quality, and in any length you want, balanced 4-pin XLR or single ended. But it's not on their site. Just email them and ask.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #11,960 of 13,132
The LCD-2 Fazor with 2016 drivers is the most neutral, having the flattest response from sub-bass into mids, and a smaller/shallower dip around 4k. However, some people (such as those who listen to mostly rock/electronic music) might prefer the different sound of the LCD-2C. In any case, you want drivers from 2016 or later, since they're more robust/durable and they sound better. If you send it in for repair, that's what you'll get.

Also: Blue Jeans Cable makes a cable for any of the LCD headphones, cheaper than the OEM Audeze cable, and much higher quality, and in any length you want, balanced 4-pin XLR or single ended. But it's not on their site. Just email them and ask.

Personally loved LCD2.1, then 2.2 pre-fazor then 2C ignoring reliability criteria - focusing on immersive musicality, planar bass texture/tightness/extension and liquid mids.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #11,961 of 13,132
I have both LCD2rev2 and LCD2C,
While LCD2C is a Mercedes, the rev2 is a Rolls Royce (talking about the sound not the comfort).
The LCD2C is faster, more precise and mid centric.
The rev2 is more lush, sub goes lower, more top end and less fatiguing. It's my goto hp.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #11,962 of 13,132
Just wanted to share the FR graph for the LCD-2 rev. 1 that I purchased recently from the original owner. Audeze kindly provided the graph:

LCD-2_1.png

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #11,964 of 13,132
Hi everyone, can I ask owners of old lcd2 headphone if the cups swivel left and right as much as the new audeze lcd designs, as to be honest i do not like the swivel on the new lcd headphone models.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #11,965 of 13,132
Hi everyone, can I ask owners of old lcd2 headphone if the cups swivel left and right as much as the new audeze lcd designs, as to be honest i do not like the swivel on the new lcd headphone models.
From a neutral position, my May 2011 LCD-2 rev. 1's swivel about 20-30° backwards and less so forwards. There's only one flathead screw on my foam headband that supposedly adjusts the tension of the vertical ratcheting of the yokes. In another HF LCD-2 thread, there used to be two adjuster screws; the other one being adjusted by an included allen wrench that apparently adjusted the rotation angle of the yokes.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #11,966 of 13,132
Hate to ask on a thread outside of the Trading section, but if anyone is interested in trading a pair of LCD2 for a set of mint condition HIFIMAN HE500 (comes with custom honeycomb grills and originals, Lohb suspension strap, wool headband cushion, original silver-plated cable, box, felt bag, etc) please hit me up. Appreciate it!

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #11,967 of 13,132
Dears,

I'm looking for a new apm for my LCD 2.2 and wondering if you can give me guidance?
Budget: 500Euro
i'm listening relative loud the music so it would be improtant to get the full potential of the HP.
I listening electronic, blues, chill out music.
I have several DAC/DAP so only Amp needed. Symmetric input not a must.
Solid state if possible.

I guess there are several proposal in the previous pages, but it just takes to much time to find all the recomendations.

Thanks

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #11,968 of 13,132
Dears,

I'm looking for a new apm for my LCD 2.2 and wondering if you can give me guidance?
i'm listening relative loud the music so it would be improtant to get the full potential of the HP.
Solid state if possible.

I guess there are several proposal in the previous pages, but it just takes to much time to find all the recomendations.

Thanks
I enjoy my LCD2Fs through a Rupert Neve RNHP.

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #11,970 of 13,132
Dears,

Solid state if possible.

Thanks
Not sure what your definition of "relative loud" is but if over 100dB then I'd be careful to not listen for extended periods since you are damaging your hearing. For me I like my LCD-2F best from the headphone jack of my UD301 DAC that only puts out 100mW/ch but even at half volume it drives the LCD-2 to 75-80dB which for me is quite loud. On my Ember the LCD-2 gets too loud too quickly and there is very little play on the volume pot so volume adjustments are not easily done. Since you are in Europe I'd look for G-109 or similar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back