Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #11,446 of 13,132
Hey guys, just finished reading through 700+ pages on this thread over the last week. Can you tell I’m invested in my new Aluminium LCD-2Fs!?

Well not all-new, I bought them in mint condition from a HF member for $525 shipped - with a Lohb strap, extended yokes and Venus Canare 10’ balanced cable to boot. Manufactured 8/2016 so they’re the latest Fazor models. More than anything I’m just so gratefull to be part of this exclusive little club of LCD appreciators.

Long story short, my interest piqued when Audeze announced the LCD-2C, which seemed to perfectly fit the profile I wanted from a TOTL open headphone: warm, solid bass, lush mids, rolled off highs but with detail. Having already owned a closed bass-heavy, fun and excitable headphone (Fostex TH-X00), I wanted something more laid back and airy for easy listening, something refined and well built. The LCD-2 pre fazor seemed to be it, but I was never a fan of the LCD wood look (and all the problems that came with it). The LCD X and XC were options, but overpriced and tuned too close to neutral for my taste. Then I saw the LCD-2C, and it seemed tailor made for me.

I placed a preorder with my local supplier (I’m not in the US), only to be told the price I paid could change, and that availability couldn’t be guaranteed before Q1 2018! Dissapointed, I looked at other options when I noticed Adorama’s unique looking Aluminium version - and then by pure chance found a seller willing to let them go for less than I’ve ever seen them sell.

Three weeks later and several hours of preliminary listening sessions and I’m absolutely in love. Not only does the Aluminium look stylish and modern - sans all the reliability hassles of thin wood rings - it also matches my modern desktop decor. But the sound is what’s making me swoon over these; the only other time I’ve heard so much detail from my music was with a friend’s LCD-3, and yet I prefer the LCD-2’s slightly warmer, slightly smoother sound. I’m now learning all about that ‘planar bass’ and appreciating that quantity (Fostex) doesn’t always trump quality and texture (although my Fostex has plenty of both, and is still the best bass headphone I’ve ever heard).

I say ‘had’ because having reached the lofty heights of LCD-2 sound, I wanted to pair it with an equally lofty closed headphone that delivered the same level of resolve, but kicked up the bass and “fun” a few notches. The Fostex was very good in that regard, but nothing today comes close at this level to ZMF’s new dynamics, specially the Atticus. So with a gorgeous barnyard cherry Atticus on the way to replace my beloved Fostex, I’m about to achieve something I never thought possible only a few short years ago, when my idea of quality was fashion cans from V-Moda. I’m almost at endgame.

I’ll be posting further impressions as I get to spend more time with the LCD and Atticus, and given how it seems to match my listening preferences so precisely, I’m quite relieved Audeze botched the initial round of LCD-2C communication just long enough for me to find my true match.

Some photos attached for those that love great design and quality. Thanks for all the knowledge and perspectives you’ve shared for so long - I’ve really learned a lot and hope I can help contribute myself to anyone who wants to be part of this gracious community.

Beautiful photos. Almost makes the Aluminium look as good as wood. :wink:

Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to reading your comparison to Atticus.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #11,447 of 13,132
Hi guys. I am currently loaning a set of LCD 2.2Fs.

They sound flippin awesome! When I put on Norah Jones I almost started crying of joy - these mids are to DIE for! Wow!

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #11,448 of 13,132

They sound flippin awesome! When I put on Norah Jones I almost started crying of joy - these mids are to DIE for! Wow!
I know! Audeze has worked some crazy good magic with their headphones! Glad you're enjoying them

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #11,449 of 13,132

After hearing the lcdx the other day I now recommend anyone that is considering the lcd2 to also listen to the lcdx

I think it’s the lcdx that is being offered considerably cheaper without the case.
Quite similar to the lcd2 but better detail towards the upper end

But the lcd2 do pop up cheap quite often in sales

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #11,450 of 13,132
After hearing the lcdx the other day I now recommend anyone that is considering the lcd2 to also listen to the lcdx

I think it’s the lcdx that is being offered considerably cheaper without the case.
Quite similar to the lcd2 but better detail towards the upper end

But the lcd2 do pop up cheap quite often in sales
Personally, It's really hard to pick between them. The LCD-2 has a certain magic to it

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #11,451 of 13,132
Personally, It's really hard to pick between them. The LCD-2 has a certain magic to it

I own both the LCD X and the LCD 2F's (2017). I love them both and would be hard pressed to give up either of them. However, with the current price of the LCD X'S I would go with them. They have a more refined and nuanced sound imo. But if you can get both, you won't regret it.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #11,452 of 13,132
I own both the LCD X and the LCD 2F's (2017). I love them both and would be hard pressed to give up either of them. However, with the current price of the LCD X'S I would go with them. They have a more refined and nuanced sound imo. But if you can get both, you won't regret it.
hi, what are the benefits of the lcd 2 over the lcd x for you?

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #11,453 of 13,132
What do you guys think about the original 2.1?

Is there any chance it would be worth buying over the LCD2C for the added bass?

I love the LCD2.2 as a compliment to my HD800’s. I’ve been trading and selling my second pair around (currently a pair of Purpleheart Atticus I want to let go so I can continue my search, and most likely get back to the LCD2), and so far nothing comes close to the 2.2 for me. It SOUNDS like the 2.1 would add even more contrast in the ways I enjoyed against the HD800 (bass, darkness) without any other downsides besides the lack of warranty and risk of failure.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #11,454 of 13,132
I do listen to the LCD-X a bit more due to its balance over the LCD-2F, but the 2F just has that wonderful something that is so seductive. I would say the LCD-2F is more fun than the LCD-X, at least to my ears. But I can only have so much "fun" and then I run over to the X

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #11,455 of 13,132
hi, what are the benefits of the lcd 2 over the lcd x for you?

I actually prefer the LCD X'S overall. They are more accurate, better controlled bass, more air, more of about everything. The LCD 2F's are darker with deeper but looser bass but just have a seductive overall sound that is quite captavating. I don't see myself selling them.
However, if I could have only one of them I would choose the LCD X's. With the current X pricing, less case at $1199.00 you can't go wrong.
I found that a Amazon Basics small hard camera case at $33.00 fits the X's. I took the foam out of the box the X's were shipped in and cut it to fit the Amazon hard case, perfect storage and travel case. The Amazon case is almost a duplicate of the Audeze case that my LCD 2'S came with. The Amazon case comes with a selection of foam that can be made into any shape. Makes a great case for those cans that you want protected in a vault like case. It is even water tight at 1 meter for thirty minutes and also has a pressure relief valve.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #11,456 of 13,132
Man, sitting here before a holiday weekend, switching back and forth between my different cans. Finally break down and put on the LCD2. I like to "save the best for last". And as usual, they don't let me down. Nothing else I own sounds as lush and full as these. Listening to King Crimson live from the 80s, and it is so much like being there at the show. Love the pads on them, so soft and comfy. I honestly do look to these as my end game in as much as I doubt I'll spend more to try to improve over them. I just doubt anything else could be that much better to me.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #11,457 of 13,132
@gLer , while the omega style headphone stands look really nice and display headphones nicely I've found that having the ear pads in constant compression leads to early pad failure with some ear pads.

I'm looking forward to your impressions between the LCD-2f and Atticus since the Atticus has been on my radar for a few months

I would like to hear these impressions also. I have just ordered a Cocobolo Atticus.
This time next year i would love to add an open planar.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #11,458 of 13,132
Man, sitting here before a holiday weekend, switching back and forth between my different cans. Finally break down and put on the LCD2. I like to "save the best for last". And as usual, they don't let me down. Nothing else I own sounds as lush and full as these. Listening to King Crimson live from the 80s, and it is so much like being there at the show. Love the pads on them, so soft and comfy. I honestly do look to these as my end game in as much as I doubt I'll spend more to try to improve over them. I just doubt anything else could be that much better to me.
That's what I thought when I got the LCD 2F's (2017 version ). Then the Focal Elear reviews came, then the $300.00 off them and I bit. Uh oh, they were a step up from the 2's. I am done. I still loved the 2's. One day I open the email from Audeze, a lower price on the LCD X's. Well you know the end result. I now have the LCD X's and find them to be my favorite of my collection. I am done. Wait those Mrspeakers Aeon flow closed back cans would be nice for king of my closed back cans, then I will have completed my collection (haven't given in yet). Hey I see Hifiman Edition X's are on sale for Black Friday(considering ). It never really ends once you get hooked on ear crack you are always looking for that next high.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #11,459 of 13,132
That's what I thought when I got the LCD 2F's (2017 version ). Then the Focal Elear reviews came, then the $300.00 off them and I bit. Uh oh, they were a step up from the 2's. I am done. I still loved the 2's. One day I open the email from Audeze, a lower price on the LCD X's. Well you know the end result. I now have the LCD X's and find them to be my favorite of my collection. I am done. Wait those Mrspeakers Aeon flow closed back cans would be nice for king of my closed back cans, then I will have completed my collection (haven't given in yet). Hey I see Hifiman Edition X's are on sale for Black Friday(considering ). It never really ends once you get hooked on ear crack you are always looking for that next high.
Oh, I'm probably not done buying. I can say that I've tried most of those you mention, and prefer the LCD2 to them all (haven't tried the Aeon). Wasn't that impressed with the Elear, didn't like the more slamming sound of the LCDX, or the heavier weight, If I could get the Edition X for under $700, I might bite. I think that's my one saying I will go by, if I see something I'm interested enough in, for a crazy low price, I'd give it a shot. Exception might be if Fostex did something new in the higher end of the pool. I love my TH900's and place them a close second on my love list overall.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #11,460 of 13,132
Oh man... i think i want to cry right now. My classic, beautiful LCD-2's are dead.... at least the left driver is. I checked my source, swapped cables, but for whatever reason, my left driver just stopped working.Even worse, i dont even transport these around; they sit on my work desk on a stand.

So, since i know this is common, what is the current situation for repairing (now that they released the "classic" model). I really love the current sound.. sigh. Not to mention, i don't really have the money to afford servicing..
Damn this blows... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back