Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #8,687 of 13,132
What's a good amp for these? Just got them a month ago and am only using the Dragonfly v1.2 and want to give it more voltage.

Budget?

The best I have EVER heard the LCD2 was with the ifi Pro iCan but it's expensive. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #8,689 of 13,132
Bryston Bha-1 here.  Transparent, deep and detailed.
Not cheap but you can find it second hand, they have a transferable warranty on 25 years.
Otherwise Audio-gd seems to have a good price/perf ratio.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #8,690 of 13,132
What's a good amp for these? Just got them a month ago and am only using the Dragonfly v1.2 and want to give it more voltage.

Depends on your budget
Best I've heard is Liquid Gold with MHDT Pagoda DAC
My Lyr2 and Ember also do a decent job of driving the LCD-2.
Headphone output of UD-301 also works quite well

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #8,691 of 13,132
Depends on your budget
Best I've heard is Liquid Gold with MHDT Pagoda DAC
My Lyr2 and Ember also do a decent job of driving the LCD-2.
Headphone output of UD-301 also works quite well

I have one on order, can't wait! When I heard the LCD-2 from the Liquid Crimson (also amazing) I knew I had to get a LAu from the last batch. :D

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #8,692 of 13,132
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender 
  Just my luck, LCD 2 arrived today with a bad left driver. Cuts in and out (not the cable and tried it on two amps as well) and if the left driver is working perfectly if I move my head side to side it shorts out. I can bang on the connector at the cup to make it cut out and sometimes go on so obviously the connector is the issue. Super bummed. I had read about Audeze quality issues so I knew I was taking a chance, but this still does suck. Well, I liked what I heard when both drivers were playing! Now I get to see how well Audeze takes care of their customers. Wish me luck.

Brand new?  Ouch!  Please let us know how Audeze responds.  Glad mine have been trouble free.  Good luck!

Mine came with a faulty cable. The left channel would cut out and would come back at certain positions if I turned the 1/4" end. I directly called Audeze, never had to interact with Adorama. They were very helpful. Turns out they were sent a batch of faulty cables, the 1/4" male plug on a few of which did not meet Audeze's tolerance levels - so not machined properly. They immediately sent me a replacement, shipping paid. I had a very good support experience. Good luck with your issue, should be a breeze. Hope you get back to enjoying these cans soon!

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #8,693 of 13,132
Yup Audeze has always been swift with repairs in my experience. They usually get back to me within a day of complaint with an RMA number and shipping instructions. Turnover has also been fast, about a week after shipping within the US.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #8,695 of 13,132
  I expected visceral bass and big impact from these headphones because of the huge drivers pushing so much air..  oh well.

When both drivers in my LCD 2F are working (sending it in for replacement next week) the bass is pretty solid. It is an open back design, and a planar at that so impact and weight usually do seem lighter than with a dynamic closed headphone. I'm pretty pleased with the bass. I would actually like slightly thicker, warmer mids. I am quite surprised at the treble, certainly more than the LCD 2s I have heard in the past at meets.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #8,696 of 13,132
I forgot to mention that I have the LCD-2 rev1, which is supposed to have the thickest bass of the revisions. Dont get me wrong, the bass is awesome, but it doesnt have nearly as much bass slam and impact as my DT990 for watching movies and games, but the LCD-2 on the other hand is way more linear.

For a $1000 dollar headphone, my expectations were too damn high after reading the reviews.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #8,697 of 13,132
  I forgot to mention that I have the LCD-2 rev1, which is supposed to have the thickest bass of the revisions. Dont get me wrong, the bass is awesome, but it doesnt have nearly as much bass slam and impact as my DT990 for watching movies and games, but the LCD-2 on the other hand is way more linear.

For a $1000 dollar headphone, my expectations were too damn high after reading the reviews.

I get that as I own and have owned some bassy closed headphones, but you just will never get an open back to have the same potential for bass impact and weight as say an equivalent design, but in a closed headphone. However, as you said, the more linear nature of open back bass (typically more linear anyway although it doesn't have to be the case) is also quite attractive. I'm almost a basshead and do hear you. I even wanted more slam from the TH 900! Still, the unique rewards of a well done open back planar are pretty alluring. I'm looking forward to having my LCD 2 replaced and getting some good time listening. I like what I hear, but it will take some time to acclimate for sure.

Edit: I know the DT 990 isn't fully closed, I owned a DT 880 for almost two years.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #8,698 of 13,132

I'm trying to remember, but isn't the Rev 1 reputed to have more bass quantity, but less slam and impact than the later revisions including the fazor? I might be wrong.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #8,699 of 13,132

My iDSD Micro on normal gain seems to drive these pretty well, but they are driven even better from my NAD M3 speaker tap and I prefer the signature with my NAD rig as it is warmer. Given how well extended and represented treble is with this headphone (very surprised) I would think warm gear might actually be a positive, but that depends on your taste of course.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #8,700 of 13,132
  I'm trying to remember, but isn't the Rev 1 reputed to have more bass quantity, but less slam and impact than the later revisions including the fazor? I might be wrong.

OK, dark and deep. Original tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back