Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #8,296 of 13,132
So I just pulled the trigger on a LCD-2 Aluminum... It was $250 off and I've never had or listened to an ortho before (except for a beat up T50RP at a studio) so I thought why the heck not. My only concern is the weight because my crown is a really weak point and I've had to return headphones that sound amazing but lack the proper padding on the headband which will start hurting my head 1-2 hrs in. 

I'm going to drive it straight out of my laptop's headphone jack for now - the audio solution is from Creative and has a lot of gain so I won't have an issue volume wise. I do plan to buy an amp later - would something like a Magni 2 be a good match for the LCD-2? 

May 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #8,297 of 13,132
Sad to say, you might have to spend that $250 saved on the carbon headband, it's a pretty heavy can. Magni 2 would be great, plenty of power :).

May 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #8,298 of 13,132
  So I just pulled the trigger on a LCD-2 Aluminum... It was $250 off and I've never had or listened to an ortho before (except for a beat up T50RP at a studio) so I thought why the heck not. My only concern is the weight because my crown is a really weak point and I've had to return headphones that sound amazing but lack the proper padding on the headband which will start hurting my head 1-2 hrs in. 

I'm going to drive it straight out of my laptop's headphone jack for now - the audio solution is from Creative and has a lot of gain so I won't have an issue volume wise. I do plan to buy an amp later - would something like a Magni 2 be a good match for the LCD-2? 

The weight/padding on the headband is cause for concern.  I could only listen for 40-50 mins without the top of my head hurting.  There are  solutions though.  There are a couple straps you can get that distribute the weight over a larger area.  Fellow Head-Fi member "Lohb" sells one of them.  I just got mine tonight.  I listened for a couple hours without pain.  Here is the link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/805211/head-cushion-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-fostex-th-x00-denon-dxk

May 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #8,299 of 13,132
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Leather-Head-Comfort-Strap-Pad-/182117649518?hash=item2a670ecc6e:g:KMIAAOSwstxVGPQu

Yeah you might wanna get one of these...not too pricey 
beerchug.gif

May 5, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #8,300 of 13,132
Thanks guys, I will look into those if necessary. Looking forward to getting back to high end audio with these. Curious to see what orthodynamic tech has to offer.

May 6, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #8,304 of 13,132
Sounds like LCD-X characteristics...

May 6, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #8,305 of 13,132

For best sound quality:
Look up how to set up Foobar2000 and Windows for bit perfect.  I use the Meridian ASIO E2 driver. 
I set Windows Sound to 16/44 so that I can play MQA files.  If you are playing other hi res files, set the output to match the source file.

Foobar volume should be at max.  Windows volume should be disconnected (if you are using the line out from the E2 to your amplifier).

Control the volume at the amplifier.

For remote volume control:
On my iMac (running Windows), I can use the headphone out on the E2 to my amp, and use an Apple remote to change the volume going through the amplifier if I am too lazy to get out of my chair.

Thanks...
I downloaded the ASIO driver, I was using Wasapi for MQA files. Is there much of a difference?
I used the right input of Meridian (I was using the headphone one).
I changed the sound outpout of the Meridian through Windows to 16/44.1, as I thought that higher is better.

NO artifacts.

Also, I contacted customer support of Audeze, asking about the driver update of the newer models and their support was excellent.

HI George

Thanks for your inquiry. I've attached a current average FR Graph of the LCD-2s for your examination. All current production is within 1dB of this graph. 
We feel the current versions of our drivers offer a modest improvement in sonics but the differences are subtle and may not be noticeable except in direct A/B comparisons.

We hope that our quest for improvement hasn't caused too much concern, and we're very confident that your headphones are among the best in the known universe. 
At this time we can only offer upgrades in the form of driver replacement, for which we charge $250 in the LCD-2s.

Thanks again for your support, and we wish you very happy listening! 
All the best 

May 6, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #8,307 of 13,132
  Only to 2016 LCD 2 owners: How is it with EDM? Bass impact, punch, slam?..

My EDM litmus test is Alarm by Boys Noize.  This is a really thick and heavy track and the LCD-2 simply nails it with detail and slam.  Ditto with stuff like deadmau5' 4x4=12.  On those tracks my Fidelio X2's, which are great for cases where I need something that works without a desktop stack, and have more bass emphasis than the LCD-2, sound muddy in comparison to the LCD-2.  Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back