Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #8,161 of 13,132
  I have a WA7 2nd gen headphone amp paired with LCD2F

It says online that WA7 Low impedance switch matches everything below 70 ohms and High impedance switch matches everything above 70 ohm.
However, the LCD2F is exactly 70 ohm.

I cannot say I have preference of one setup over the other, when switching to high impedance the vocal are more forward...

Technically speaking, which setup should I put the WA7 on?

Because the LCD-2 can handle all of the power the WA7 will throw at it in high gain mode, I'd say leave it in high gain for more headroom.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,162 of 13,132
  I have a WA7 2nd gen headphone amp paired with LCD2F

It says online that WA7 Low impedance switch matches everything below 70 ohms and High impedance switch matches everything above 70 ohm.
However, the LCD2F is exactly 70 ohm.

I cannot say I have preference of one setup over the other, when switching to high impedance the vocal are more forward...

Technically speaking, which setup should I put the WA7 on?

I may stand corrected, but I don't think high or low gain will make a difference in sound quality.  That is, if you volume match low and high gain, I believe you achieve the same voltage output on either one at that volume.  The greatest reason for adjusting gain would be to provide you the most flexibility and range in which you can use your volume control with the specific headphone you're using.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8,163 of 13,132
  I have no impressions to offer - just that my pair will be arriving next weekend or so. These are pure indulgence - almost over the top, but I don't indulge in anything but music. These will be my work phones, where the more laid back sound while keeping slam and detail should be greatly appreciated.

And unlike most headphones, the first listen should be delicious out of box. Only the hd650 gave me the magic first taste of, "That is so smooth..." on the first listen. Then comes the real pleasure of moving into a deeper understanding of the cans....

Dude I'd recommend you get the Little Dot MkIII tube amp, along with 6N6P-IR power tubes, and NOS Mullard CV850 driver tubes...the sound is literally delicious. It is much smoother without any apparent loss of detail, with the micro details actually being more easily heard. The soundstage is also more intimate while retaining imaging and coherence. The midrange and bass see the most improvement, with vocals becoming much more nuanced and life-like. The bass is, as Barney would say, Legendary, sounding even more refined with just as much slam and most importantly, rumble. I think you would like it very much, and this setup doesn't break the bank at all 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: This is how it compares to my Burson Soloist SL

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #8,164 of 13,132
  Dude I'd recommend you get the Little Dot MkIII tube amp, along with 6N6P-IR power tubes, and NOS Mullard CV850 driver tubes...the sound is literally delicious. It is much smoother without any apparent loss of detail, with the micro details actually being more easily heard. The soundstage is also more intimate while retaining imaging and coherence. The midrange and bass see the most improvement, with vocals becoming much more nuanced and life-like. The bass is, as Barney would say, Legendary, sounding even more refined with just as much slam and most importantly, rumble. I think you would like it very much, and this setup doesn't break the bank at all 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: This is how it compares to my Burson Soloist SL

Similar price range as Project Ember 2.... Did you ever get some time with PE2 ?

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #8,165 of 13,132
I have read about the project ember, and it really does seem to be another really good choice as well in that price range yes, apparently with more power but i havent actually heard it. The PE2 i have no idea about lol.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #8,166 of 13,132
  I have read about the project ember, and it really does seem to be another really good choice as well in that price range yes, apparently with more power but i havent actually heard it. The PE2 i have no idea about lol.

PE2 = Project Ember 2. I only ask as it may be a nice add-on after the Chord Mojo to give an alternate presentation.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #8,167 of 13,132

PE2 = Project Ember 2. I only ask as it may be a nice add-on after the Chord Mojo to give an alternate presentation.

I have the original Ember and it will drive the LCD-2 really well, depending on tubes it can have a better over all tone than Lyr2 but sound stage is usually better with the Lyr2 no matter which tubes are used.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8,172 of 13,132
  how would these compare to the mdr 1a's

The MDR-1A has a much more "U" or "V" shaped sound compared to the LCD-2.  The bass of the 1A is more present but a little sloppy while the bass of the LCD-2 is better defined and tight.  Mids a recessed on the 1A, just right and smooth on the LCD-2.  Highs on the 1A are pretty nice but can get harsh depending on the music, for the LCD-2 the highs are quite smooth and never get harsh.

Properly driving the MDR-1A is fairly easy while properly driving the LCD-2 is a little more difficult.  These are 2 different headphones in different classes.

Comfort is or could be a problem with the LCD-2 as it is much heavier that the 1A. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #8,173 of 13,132
I am struggling with a new headphone purchase,and hoping someone can help here.
LCD2.2 non fazor or Alpha Primes?!?

Factors:
I have read that the APs need an excellent seal for bass...I wear glasses...is this an issue?

Which of the two is faster?

Which of the two is better for rock/metal/reggae/acoustic?

I have HE-500s and I dont want a redundant headphone....which of these two are more different from the HE-500s(other than APs being closed back)

I keep thinking Ive made up my mind,and then I read something to make me reconsider my decision.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,174 of 13,132
  how would these compare to the mdr 1a's

They seriously do not compare. The bass on the MDR 1A is so bloated and bloomy it's ridiculous. Mids/highs are zippy - I'll give them that. And they work fine out of a phone, without any amplification.

The LCD 2.2 bass reaches down low with complete authority and amplified correctly (1-4 watts per channel amp) they produce a full bodied sound that is like listening to a proper hifi speaker setup. 

I am struggling with a new headphone purchase,and hoping someone can help here.
LCD2.2 non fazor or Alpha Primes?!?

Factors:
I have read that the APs need an excellent seal for bass...I wear glasses...is this an issue?

Which of the two is faster?

Which of the two is better for rock/metal/reggae/acoustic?

I have HE-500s and I dont want a redundant headphone....which of these two are more different from the HE-500s(other than APs being closed back)

I keep thinking Ive made up my mind,and then I read something to make me reconsider my decision.

The LCD 2.2s will be the most different from the HE-500s due to their authoritative bass, wholesome mids and comparatively de-emphasized treble. They do need good power to drive them well - not as bad as the HE-6 but around the same if not more than the HE-500. 1-4watts per channel at 60 ohms is the sweet spot.

If they're not given enough power they sound politer and lack the full bodied sound that they're good for.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #8,175 of 13,132
I finally acquired an LCD-2 a few weeks ago.  It's a Fazor model with what I can only assume are the latest drivers, since a previous owner sent them in to Audeze for a driver imbalance in the beginning of March.  I'm happy to say that I have found my new favorite headphones, and I am in the process of selling my beloved T1.

First, the bass pretty much blows anything else I've heard out of the water (including the HE-500).  The sound overall is so rich, weighty, and textured that I have no problem dealing with the weight of the headphones.  The only thing I would change is to add a little treble energy (I tend to like bright headphones).

Are there any headphones out there (in a similar price range) that would be able to retain all of the amazing qualities in the bass and midrange of the LCD-2 while adding some treble energy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back