Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #7,187 of 13,132
  How is the pre-fazor even a basshead headphone? I don't understand how you consider the LCD-2 pre-fazor a basshead headphone, unless you are allergic to bass.

The fazor sound disappointed me and some others in the sense that it lost it's original Audeze house sound, where it was beautifully dark and lush. The pre-fazor was much more relaxing to listen to IMO. Also, the bass quality and quantity dropped, along with less bass extension, which was another disappointment. But calling the pre-fazors basshead headphones is just hilarious really.

EDIT: Have you even tried a basshead headphone before, and the original pre-fazors before making that type of statement?

Woah, no need to jump all over me. All I know is that when I was researching this headphone, people never shut up about the bass quantity. It was by far the biggest thing that people talked about with it. Once the Fazor was implemented, everyone started complaining and going elsewhere for the bass they wanted. I love the way it went, and I feel like I went further in their direction by putting a nice cable on it that seems to bring the mids out and tighten the bass up even more.

I've not had a chance to try out any of the "basshead" classified headphones, just crap at regular stores and the stuff I've bought. I don't live near any meets or shops. I didn't intend to make it as a classifying statement. I should have just said that people who prefer emphasis on bass were disappointed with the Fazor implementation, because that's what I honestly think from the impressions I've gotten from this thread over my last year of owning this headphone.

This feels exactly like when I argue with friends over metal sub-genres. People get honestly offended when you classify a band in the wrong genre.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #7,188 of 13,132

Woah, no need to jump all over me. All I know is that when I was researching this headphone, people never shut up about the bass quantity. It was by far the biggest thing that people talked about with it. Once the Fazor was implemented, everyone started complaining and going elsewhere for the bass they wanted. I love the way it went, and I feel like I went further in their direction by putting a nice cable on it that seems to bring the mids out and tighten the bass up even more.

I've not had a chance to try out any of the "basshead" classified headphones, just crap at regular stores and the stuff I've bought. I don't live near any meets or shops. I didn't intend to make it as a classifying statement. I should have just said that people who prefer emphasis on bass were disappointed with the Fazor implementation, because that's what I honestly think from the impressions I've gotten from this thread over my last year of owning this headphone.

This feels exactly like when I argue with friends over metal sub-genres. People get honestly offended when you classify a band in the wrong genre.

Sorry if I came across that way, but I'm not offended, just kind of baffled that you would think it's a basshead can. It makes sense now since you haven't tried a pre-fazor one and made a guess based on others' opinions/impressions. Maybe some people over-exaggerate the bass quantity here I guess.

Anyway, I believe the reason why people liked the bass so much (I loved it) is because it digs really deep, and has decent/good punch. But most of all, the texture and quality of the planar magnetic bass the LCD-2 was just stunning. 

When Audeze introduced Fazor, the sub-bass was significantly rolled-off and the impact also felt reduced (might be placebo), but the major change was the roll-off. It doesn't dig deep into the sub-bass regions anymore because of the roll-off. The 'magic' of the LCD-2 bass which blended so well with it's dark and lush sound was lost, which is the main reason for the out-cry I'm guessing. People would exaggerate by saying things like 'no more bass' I reckon.

Anyway, cans like the V-Moda M100 or JVC-SZ2000(a real basshead can) absolutely beat the LCD-2 pre fazor in terms of bass quantity, but not quality obviously. And the LCD-2 had major QC issues, even pre-fazor, where the sound of each LCD-2 would differ from user to user and high driver failure rate. I believe the Fazor implementation reduced that inconsistency problem and also driver failure rate, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: To give you a general idea of the difference - pre-fazor vs fazor

You should be able to see that the LCD-2 even pre-fazor is relatively neutral (except for the upper-mid to lower treble dip), and the significant roll-off in the sub-bass of the fazor that generally starts at ~30Hz. I certainly wouldn't classify even the pre-fazor as a basshead can.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #7,191 of 13,132
  Sorry if I came across that way, but I'm not offended, just kind of baffled that you would think it's a basshead can. It makes sense now since you haven't tried a pre-fazor one and made a guess based on others' opinions/impressions. Maybe some people over-exaggerate the bass quantity here I guess.

Anyway, I believe the reason why people liked the bass so much (I loved it) is because it digs really deep, and has decent/good punch. But most of all, the texture and quality of the planar magnetic bass the LCD-2 was just stunning. 

When Audeze introduced Fazor, the sub-bass was significantly rolled-off and the impact also felt reduced (might be placebo), but the major change was the roll-off. It doesn't dig deep into the sub-bass regions anymore because of the roll-off. The 'magic' of the LCD-2 bass which blended so well with it's dark and lush sound was lost, which is the main reason for the out-cry I'm guessing. People would exaggerate by saying things like 'no more bass' I reckon.

Anyway, cans like the V-Moda M100 or JVC-SZ2000(a real basshead can) absolutely beat the LCD-2 pre fazor in terms of bass quantity, but not quality obviously. And the LCD-2 had major QC issues, even pre-fazor, where the sound of each LCD-2 would differ from user to user and high driver failure rate. I believe the Fazor implementation reduced that inconsistency problem and also driver failure rate, but don't quote me on that.

You should be able to see that the LCD-2 even pre-fazor is relatively neutral (except for the upper-mid to lower treble dip), and the significant roll-off in the sub-bass of the fazor that generally starts at ~30Hz. I certainly wouldn't classify even the pre-fazor as a basshead can.

No problem, just a slight miscommunication. I believe there's another one here, in the frequency response. Audeze changed the way they measure their headphones in the middle of all of this, I believe a little after they introduced the Fazor technology, but I'm not totally sure of the timing, so I can't really trust all of the FR graphs from Audeze. The's quite a bit of smoothing on them, anyway. I don't even have one for mine. I do trust your ears, though, so I understand what you're saying. The graphs provide a bit of insight, just not as much as I would hope for.

I've never been too much of a proponent of needing music sub 30 hz in a headphone, anyway, which is one of the reasons why I went with planar headphones, since tight, articulate sound is what I seek for the super fast and technical music that I listen to. Sub 30 hz is the bass that you don't hear so much as you feel, and I don't want to feel that on my head. I want to feel it at a live show, but not while I'm at my desk. I also don't listen to a lot of music with deep bass, anyway. Death metal lives in the midbass, but kick drums don't really go as deep as people think they do (unless you're talking about some brutal death metal and hardcore bands that have triggers on their kicks that are just dumb). The deep bass at a live metal concert is more from the room modes and vibration than it is from the kick drum sound itself and I'm not looking to mimic that.

I can really see why people want bass that digs deep, I used to be into trance music and a lot of good hip hop, and I can see why the Fazor version would leave you with a sense of missing that with music that asks for it, which goes back to my original comment, lamenting that so many people were disappointed with the Fazor version because they had heard all of these things about how beautiful the bass was for them on the non-Fazor version.

I know about the QC issues as well, my drivers failed on my Fazor LCD-2 back in May. I nearly sold them and went with another headphone, but I really do love the way they sound in pretty much every way.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #7,192 of 13,132

ironically, besides the bass rolloff, the upper miss and treble look really full compared to most audezes

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #7,193 of 13,132
Going off a few users reports here it seems Audeze may have fixed the sub bass roll off with newer drivers from late 2015.

The place I'm getting mine from have to replenish their stock, so I may be getting a recently built pair.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #7,194 of 13,132
regarding the HD650 comparison, I've always found the midrange less resolving on the 650's, especially when it comes to metal music.  One of the reasons I sold the Sennheisers is because they could not properly resolve the guitars on albums like Mastodon's The Hunter or Metallica's Load.  I found that material with very complex midrange they had a hard time with.  The LCD-2's always sound perfect in the midrange without random "bad" sounding albums.  I also found Sennheiser's own Momentum over ears to be utterly superior sounding to the 650's.  I had heard so much about them for so long, I was a bit disappointed when I finally got them.  While both the Audeze's and the Senn's do have a slightly recessed presence range, I have found the Audeze phones to be superior in every respect regarding bass, mids and treble.  If I have one complaint, it would an ever-so-slight prominence in the lower midrange that sometimes will accent a "dirty" sounding cymbal.
Regarding a supposed "graininess" in the midrange: absolutely none. It's still some of the most liquid, luscious midrange out there.  I would describe the treble as slightly dry perhaps, but very resolving and clean.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #7,195 of 13,132
One of the very few faults I find with my LCD2's is that some female or higher pitched male vocals sound slightly strained, other than that they are fantastic for what I listen to.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #7,196 of 13,132

Regarding a supposed "graininess" in the midrange: absolutely none. It's still some of the most liquid, luscious midrange out there.  I would describe the treble as slightly dry perhaps, but very resolving and clean.

Completely agree, and if you like electric guitar the treble has much more bite and realism than do the somewhat polite presentation of the 650.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #7,197 of 13,132
With all the people missing the LCD-2 Pre-Fazor it kind of makes me want to hold on to mine a lot longer than I planned. But on the other hand with all the people seemingly wanting a pair of Pre-Fazor LCD-2s it almost puts me into a spot of selling my Pre-Fazor LCD-2s while they are wanted, then moving up to LCD-3s. Decisions...decisions...

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #7,198 of 13,132
  regarding the HD650 comparison, I've always found the midrange less resolving on the 650's, especially when it comes to metal music.  One of the reasons I sold the Sennheisers is because they could not properly resolve the guitars on albums like Mastodon's The Hunter or Metallica's Load.  I found that material with very complex midrange they had a hard time with.  The LCD-2's always sound perfect in the midrange without random "bad" sounding albums.  I also found Sennheiser's own Momentum over ears to be utterly superior sounding to the 650's.  I had heard so much about them for so long, I was a bit disappointed when I finally got them.  While both the Audeze's and the Senn's do have a slightly recessed presence range, I have found the Audeze phones to be superior in every respect regarding bass, mids and treble.  If I have one complaint, it would an ever-so-slight prominence in the lower midrange that sometimes will accent a "dirty" sounding cymbal.

Its interesting how good metal is as a kind of litmus test in its playback for how suitable a headphone can seem. Personally, I go for music i find dull and if i can find some pep to it I'm sold.

LCD-2 for grindcore, really congested music like Agents of Abhorrence it acquits itself well. Yes, the treble and detail seem to sit on the window sill a bit. Am waiting for a Forza Claire copper/ silver hybrid cable to see what does. Nonetheless, for the presence the LCD-2 affords and it's bass -not merely slam, but also soft bass and softer still and how that helps to locate the bassist on the stage- has the elements that I need to suspend disbelief where the HD6xx series with it's sweet midrange is just better for other stuff and gets congestedly shrill on metal.
But hey, the HD600 is one third the price and so comfy.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #7,199 of 13,132
  With all the people missing the LCD-2 Pre-Fazor it kind of makes me want to hold on to mine a lot longer than I planned. But on the other hand with all the people seemingly wanting a pair of Pre-Fazor LCD-2s it almost puts me into a spot of selling my Pre-Fazor LCD-2s while they are wanted, then moving up to LCD-3s. Decisions...decisions...

Rather than the lcd-3, you might want to look at the Hifiman Edition X.  It's trickle-down tech from the He1000 for a lower price. I've heard the 1000 and liked it quite a bit better than the audezes, and the Edition X are basically a less expensive version.
  Its interesting how good metal is as a kind of litmus test in its playback for how suitable a headphone can seem. Personally, I go for music i find dull and if i can find some pep to it I'm sold.

LCD-2 for grindcore, really congested music like Agents of Abhorrence it acquits itself well. Yes, the treble and detail seem to sit on the window sill a bit. Am waiting for a Forza Claire copper/ silver hybrid cable to see what does. Nonetheless, for the presence the LCD-2 affords and it's bass -not merely slam, but also soft bass and softer still and how that helps to locate the bassist on the stage- has the elements that I need to suspend disbelief where the HD6xx series with it's sweet midrange is just better for other stuff and gets congestedly shrill on metal.
But hey, the HD600 is one third the price and so comfy.

I listen to a lot of Megadeth, Metallica, Mastodon, Ozzy, Opeth, Rush, Vai, Satriani and Van Halen.  When I tried the 650's, I was coming from the Momentum over-ear model, and to me the 650's just couldn't compete.  The Bass was better on the Momentums. The presence and treble were also superior, imo.  I just feel like the 650's are outclassed by a lot of other headphones. For a diffferent flavor, I freaking love the Beyer T1's with an OTL amp.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #7,200 of 13,132
So I've entered the serial number of an lcd-2 and lcd-x that are being sold by two different private sellers.

Each time I enter the number on audezes website, it comes back like this:

LCD-3: serial#
This is a genuine Audeze product

But none of these are an LCD-3. Is this a known issue with Audeze that their authenticator on their website always says it's an LCD-3?

Edit: and a 3rd lcd-2 that audeze thinks is an lcd-3. So their authenticity checker seems to be broken.

Also, when did Audeze stop putting the serial number on the inside of the headband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back