Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,071 of 13,132
  Welcome. I have the LYR-2. It is remarkable with the LCD 2 Fazor.

Interesting. I thought the LCD-3 had a better midrange (which I have not heard personally but according to many) but I guess that goes to the LCD-2 according to Mike. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5,072 of 13,132
So looking at my Sinusoidal, it seems a lot different from what is in the OP. But I realize that revisions have been made since then, is this more of the norm now?

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5,073 of 13,132
So looking at my Sinusoidal, it seems a lot different from what is in the OP. But I realize that revisions have been made since then, is this more of the norm now?

Yup. Mines like that too. See my classified.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5,074 of 13,132
Based on all the research I've been doing into the LCD-2 lately, that looks like the Rev 2+ Fazor version.  The one in the first post is the Rev 1 version.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on a used LCD-2.2f today.  I'll be joining the club soon!  I'm looking forward to seeing how my ears hear it compared to jodgey's awesome comparison.  I agreed with his ears on the Q701 and X1 so I have high hopes.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,075 of 13,132

To be honest I've seen a lot of variety even in the same make/model/version. I'd take it with a grain of salt as each individual headphone within a revision sounds close to the other. Measuring headphone frequency response is like a dark art. A lot of variables.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5,076 of 13,132
To be honest I've seen a lot of variety even in the same make/model/version. I'd take it with a grain of salt as each individual headphone within a revision sounds close to the other. Measuring headphone frequency response is like a dark art. A lot of variables.

You're probably right, I just made a big leap from Ultrasone HFI-580's and of course just want to make sure that nothing is wrong or something after spending as much as I just did. I just don't have my Lyr 2 and Bifrost Uber so I'm very anxious.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5,077 of 13,132

I find the FR graphs true to the sound I hear. Agree lots of variables, but for comparison using same measuring equipment and environment, it's handy for comparison. The super linear bass of the Rev. 2 is also true to the sound I hear.

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,078 of 13,132
I find the FR graphs true to the sound I hear. Agree lots of variables, but for comparison using same measuring equipment and environment, it's handy for comparison. The super linear bass of the Rev. 2 is also true to the sound I hear.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. My LCD-2 and my LCD-XC echo what the frequency graph shows, but I haven't seen many graphs match - even within the same version line released close to each other. Looking at relative levels, from low to high frequecies, not just absolute decibels.

Not many companies have the confidence to release a frequency graph. :D

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #5,079 of 13,132
Welp, got my new LCD-2.2f on my ears right now, getting a feel for them.  They're essentially brand new so I assume they're going to need some burn-in.  

Really the only glaring "flaw" I can detect at this point is that the bass just doesn't seem to be there.  I was expecting something more along the lines of the HE-4's planar bass.  While I feel like it does have extension, the levels seem low and so there isn't a ton of impact unless I'm listening to something bass-crazy like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories album.  The low bass levels make me want to turn it louder, but then the rest is too loud. 

I'm going to let them and my brain burn in some more though.  I suspect the bass is just more neutral than I'm used to with my current headphones (HE-4 and HD650).

Other than that, hell even with that, these are the best headphones I've ever tried.  There isn't any other aspect of their sound where I can find fault or wish for more.  It got detail without being analytical.  The imaging is some of the best I've heard.  And the sound is very neutral without any part of the songs being emphasized over any other.  

Most important, I have yet to turn off a test song mid-song.  Every song I've listened to, I feel the need to finish because it sounds so good.  In the end, isn't that what we're all searching for out of our headphones?

Oh side note:  once again, I'm not a fan of planars with the tube amp.  It rolls off too much of the bass and, when you have a headphone that extends down to the floor, rolling off the bass is a crime.  Since I'll likely be selling all my other headphones, the Ember will probably go too.  Maybe it's time to think about upgrading the NFB-15 since I'll have funds from the Ember?

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5,080 of 13,132
in my opinion the mids on the he-4 are more recessed than the LCD2s. this makes it sound like the he-4 has more bass. I felt the same way when I got the LCD2. give it time and your ears will adjust. the bass is most certainly there and awesome.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,081 of 13,132
Hearing about the "awesome bass" audezes have, I was initially disappointed with their bass presence too/I expected them to be way more bass head-ish.  I was pretty iffy about me buying LCD-2s for the first week and a half and then I started to appreciate them.  

Absolutely the best pair of headphones I've ever owned in every way except for comfort.  Even soundstage and imaging is pretty great, I have yet to mistake the direction of footsteps in Counterstrike
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #5,082 of 13,132
Even if the HE-4 has recessed mids making its bass seem louder, it still has more bass than the LCD2 per same volume by the very reason of its mids being recessed.  Bass mids and treble are like a balance, always equalling a whole.  

I felt the 2 and 3 didn't have as much bass as people have maked them out to either.  By comparison, the HE-400 had slightly more bass than the LCD2, and the LCD3 has around the same amount of bass as the HE-560-- maybe slightly more.  It's probably a case of earlier Audezes being tuned bassier, and the newer ones being tuned more neutral.

The LCD-X however, I found bassier than the 2 and 3 because its upper mid and lower treble were recessed.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #5,083 of 13,132
in my opinion the mids on the he-4 are more recessed than the LCD2s. this makes it sound like the he-4 has more bass. I felt the same way when I got the LCD2. give it time and your ears will adjust. the bass is most certainly there and awesome.

Yeah, the HE-4 is definitely more V-shaped.  But I'm still not sure if that's the issue or not.

Hearing about the "awesome bass" audezes have, I was initially disappointed with their bass presence too/I expected them to be way more bass head-ish.  I was pretty iffy about me buying LCD-2s for the first week and a half and then I started to appreciate them.  

Absolutely the best pair of headphones I've ever owned in every way except for comfort.  Even soundstage and imaging is pretty great, I have yet to mistake the direction of footsteps in Counterstrike
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys.  I'm definitely not planning on getting rid of these just yet.  I am really diggin them even with the bass issue... which may not end up being an issue.  I hear the soundstage opens up a bit with burn-in.  Given that the imaging is already pretty dang amazing as it is, I'm looking forward to that even more holographic sound.  

Also balanced... going to look into that.  Anyone tried these with an NFB-28?

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5,084 of 13,132
I'm thinking about buying a blue dragon v3 cable (because it's the cheaper one) for my lcd2f. What u guys think? Any experience? I rly don't want any changes in the sound, I just want an extra cable with good finish and durable...

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5,085 of 13,132
If you like the stock cable, it's much more affordable straight from Audeze.
I'm thinking about buying a blue dragon v3 cable (because it's the cheaper one) for my lcd2f. What u guys think? Any experience? I rly don't want any changes in the sound, I just want an extra cable with good finish and durable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back