Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #3,946 of 13,132
Found the solution to my popping left driver.  Since I'm using a European made amp that runs on 230v ac I need to use a step up transformer and that was plugged into the same outlet as my computer, monitor, dac etc...  tried a different outlet with nothing else plugged into it and no popping after 3.5 hours of listening so far.

Great to hear, and a good heads up for the future!

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,947 of 13,132
So, strange question: does anyone else feel that the newer LCD2 models are an awful mess when it comes to microphonics?

Just put on your LCD2s, no music, and tap your fingers on the cable where the Y splitter is, it will sound like an damn earthquake in your head.

I don't know how, but they managed to get every little vibration the cable goes through to resonate quite painfully through the headphones. Every time you move your head, or the cable slides a little on the desk, believe me you'll hear it, music or no music.

The older rev1 models don't have this issue at all (wooden connectors + thick round cable). Perhaps the new thicker earpads create more of a vacuum seal that amplifies the cable microphonics, or perhaps they screwed up with the cable or connectors? I don't know, but it's fairly unpleasant.

So what do I do? If I switch to the older stock cable, it helps a little bit, but still annoying as hell. Would an aftermarket cable help? Something else maybe? 
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,949 of 13,132
Same, never noticed any particular microphonics, I've returned a couple of iem's for this very reason, so I consider myself picky enough.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #3,950 of 13,132
Great, so I either went insane or got a badly constructed LCD2? It is quite bad, gives me headaches just from wearing this thing (never had a problem with the rev1)

Anyway, I think I solved my problem, behold and despair! I present to you, Audeze LCD-2 - Frankenstein Edition!

I've attached the old shoddy foam headband from my old LCD, much more comfy than the leather band and also helps quite a bit to absorb some of the shock.

Also added little rubber bands at the connectors to act as active shock absorbers for any cord movements.

It ain't perfect, but a hell lot better than what it was before.

Now I'm thinking if this is really not supposed to be normal if it's worth to just return/exchange these?

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3,952 of 13,132
^Dude I'm so jealous of you for having that 1st revision headband!  The stupid bumps on the headbands are by far the worst part of the LCD-2s.  I  cut out a piece of foam to flatten the headband and after a month of use with that it's already pretty flat.  

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #3,953 of 13,132
Yeah I have a few spare parts to play with. Sad story, my rev1's right driver died a few months after warranty ran out.

Turns out it costs an arm and a leg to repair those without warranty, ends up being much more sensible to buy a new LCD2 with a brand new warranty, hence all my troubles.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,954 of 13,132
Could it be because you have a really snug fit and your ears are pressed up against the inner grills?  I don't find it to be too much of a problem, but I am using custom cables with mine and don't tend to move around a lot with them on.  

I do have this occasional flex and click sound if I'm lying my head on my pillow and leaning to one side of an ear cup.  Doesn't seem to affect SQ though.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3,955 of 13,132
^Dude I'm so jealous of you for having that 1st revision headband!  The stupid bumps on the headbands are by far the worst part of the LCD-2s.  I  cut out a piece of foam to flatten the headband and after a month of use with that it's already pretty flat.  

Those babies helped me a lot with several headphones
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005PK1CYI
Not aesthetically pleasing, but worth every single dime

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3,956 of 13,132
Yeah, the revision 1 headband I have is good but suspension headbands like Abyss/HFM is the way to go.....but not that squarish metal headband they have.

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,957 of 13,132
something like this might look good on the Audeze stuff...just when you finally see it together, it works or doesn't !
But it would better distribute the weight across the head....

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #3,958 of 13,132
I don't feel the "bumps" in the headband whatsoever, the LCD-2 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn tbh. (And LCD-3, but since the LCD-2 now shares the same pads with the LCD-2, it's basically the same I reckon)

Came from AD900X and HE-500 to the LCD-2, also tried HD800 at the store, they were quite comfortable but the LCD-2 fits my head like a glove and the pads are sooooooo cushiony, I love it.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #3,959 of 13,132
  I don't feel the "bumps" in the headband whatsoever, the LCD-2 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn tbh. (And LCD-3, but since the LCD-2 now shares the same pads with the LCD-2, it's basically the same I reckon)

Came from AD900X and HE-500 to the LCD-2, also tried HD800 at the store, they were quite comfortable but the LCD-2 fits my head like a glove and the pads are sooooooo cushiony, I love it.

Once you break the headband in from wearing them, so the clamp is not a problem, the only thing comfort wise you notice is the weight. but not as pain on the head for me, more just slight soreness in the neck after a few hours with them on, and you cant really have your head tilted in any direction of the weight starts pulling them off slightly. I'm currently trying out the hd800 for a couple weeks before sending it back, so far it is more comfortable after the initial couple hours, but obviously the sharp highs compared to the lcd 2 soft highs, make a pretty big difference in ear comfort.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3,960 of 13,132
Once you break the headband in from wearing them, so the clamp is not a problem, the only thing comfort wise you notice is the weight. but not as pain on the head for me, more just slight soreness in the neck after a few hours with them on, and you cant really have your head tilted in any direction of the weight starts pulling them off slightly. I'm currently trying out the hd800 for a couple weeks before sending it back, so far it is more comfortable after the initial couple hours, but obviously the sharp highs compared to the lcd 2 soft highs, make a pretty big difference in ear comfort.

I don't notice the weight even after 12+ hours of use, usually forget I'm even wearing them haha. Maybe I have a really strong neck or something? I duno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back