Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #3,691 of 13,132
Having somewhat of a "Jam session" with my LCD-2 F right now, I never used to be a huge fan of The Black Eyed Peas, I always used to like em, but never a whole lot.   

"imma be", "just can't get enough", "where is the love" sound really good.  The bass on thump on "imma be" is very entertaining

Both of these songs seem to hit everything, high notes, male vocals, female vocals, bass impact, dynamics, everything.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,693 of 13,132
  Having somewhat of a "Jam session" with my LCD-2 F right now, I never used to be a huge fan of The Black Eyed Peas, I always used to like em, but never a whole lot.   

"imma be", "just can't get enough", "where is the love" sound really good.  The bass on thump on "imma be" is very entertaining

Both of these songs seem to hit everything, high notes, male vocals, female vocals, bass impact, dynamics, everything.

Dynamics?

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=the+black+eyed+peas&album=

If its the vinyl version, okey, if not...
tongue_smile.gif

Try some of these:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/12284 (high dynamics for electronic music)

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,694 of 13,132

LCD-2 always was my go-to for vocals and bass. Good choices.

Is that your cat??  What happened to her ears? poor critter...but that smile and those eyes....
normal_smile .gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #3,695 of 13,132
  i am confused does the lcd 3 have more bass or less than lcd2 rev 2 fazor version

Looking at the graphs, it seems that LCD-3 has the least bass of all current LCDs.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3,696 of 13,132
  How warm do they get after a few hours of use?  I wear my LCD-2F sometimes 10 hours a day, the leather is never uncomfortable, but it does get pretty hot after awhile.  Not enough to warrant taking them off in annoyance, but enough to notice it.

They're just fine as long as your room is properly ventilated. My ears never get sweaty.

I'd say the wearing comfort is about the same as my HD650, except the weight, which is also not an issue to me.

I love these pads - really plush and pleasant to the skin.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3,697 of 13,132

LCD-2 always was my go-to for vocals and bass. Good choices.

Is that your cat??  What happened to her ears? poor critter...but that smile and those eyes....
normal_smile%20.gif

No not my cat, I google "happiest face ever" and that was one of the pictures haha

They're just fine as long as your room is properly ventilated. My ears never get sweaty.

I'd say the wearing comfort is about the same as my HD650, except the weight, which is also not an issue to me.

I love these pads - really plush and pleasant to the skin.

My ears never get sweaty from the leather pads, but it does get quite toasty at times.  I think I may set aside $80 sometime and buy the suede pads to try them, I knew they were comfortable when I tried em at the store previously, but putting them on for 5 mins vs 5+ hours is two completely different things. I'm sure they'll be cooler than the leather pads for sure.  Now I've just gotta decide what color of suede, brown or black.. Hmmmmm

Thank you for the response btw :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,698 of 13,132
  My ears never get sweaty from the leather pads, but it does get quite toasty at times.  I think I may set aside $80 sometime and buy the suede pads to try them, I knew they were comfortable when I tried em at the store previously, but putting them on for 5 mins vs 5+ hours is two completely different things. I'm sure they'll be cooler than the leather pads for sure.

Thank you for the response btw :)

Leather pads were never an option for me - I just don't like the leather contact with naked skin. I've spent pretty much whole day wearing them yesterday and the heat was never an issue.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3,699 of 13,132

Leather pads were never an option for me - I just don't like the leather contact with naked skin. I've spent pretty much whole day wearing them yesterday and the heat was never an issue.

Do you have the brown suede or black suede?  I like both colors, but if I was to get the brown suede I'd probably end up replacing the headband with brown suede since it wouldn't match.

Imo the bamboo + brown suede matches pretty nice

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,700 of 13,132
  Do you have the brown suede or black suede?  I like both colors, but if I was to get the brown suede I'd probably end up replacing the headband with brown suede since it wouldn't match.

Imo the bamboo + brown suede matches pretty nice

I have a brown suede. It's the only option for a Bamboo LCD-2. And yeah, I love the looks.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,701 of 13,132

Well, LCD-3 rolls off pretty steeply from 50-60 Hz, which is definitely audible on bass heavy tracks - no doubts here. This is the most important low range and cutting it down ... well, I guess they were just catering to audiophile snobs, who generally prefer bass lighter cans with elevated highs (where brightness is often confused with detail and resolution). But it's definitely not the case with LCD-2, even the latest one with a Fazor... 

Regarding that claim, I think I've seen some member in this thread posting a negative reply from Audeze support regarding the Fazor's impact on LCD-2 bass response. That correlates with my FR graph and I don't consider a 30 Hz roll-off an impacting factor here. But you might disagree, of course...

On another hand, I've also seen someone posting a graph from his Fazor'd LCD-2, which looked much worse than mine (steeper roll-off below 50-60 Hz, much like LCD-3)

So variation between headphones is here at play too. Maybe they've addressed that in later production models like mine so I'm not noticing anything? Of course I have no idea how older LCD-2 sounds...

Looking at the graphs, it seems that LCD-3 has the least bass of all current LCDs.

Got myself an old (September 2011) pair of LCD-3's and the bass is extremely linear:

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,702 of 13,132
  Got myself an old (September 2011) pair of LCD-3's and the bass is extremely linear:

OK, I had to mention that from all current LCDs, LCD-3 is the least bass intensive. Here's comparison graph from Tyll:

Obviously, that wasn't the case with the older LCD-3:

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,703 of 13,132
From Tyll's graphs, it appears to me that the LCD-3 to get, if I want a relatively even response, with minimal treble roll-off and flat line in bass, would be the 2012 or 2013 versions. The "early" LCD-3 version rolls off too soon in the upper mids.

But everyone hears differently. I find that curves can be "beaten" if listening conditions, headphone earcup positions, and amp-ing vary, as they often do.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,704 of 13,132
Anyone using the new black micro-suede pads ? Are they dust magnets ?

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,705 of 13,132
  Anyone using the new black micro-suede pads ? Are they dust magnets ?

Can't say about the blacks... but my browns do not look dusty at all after couple days on the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back