Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #12,646 of 13,132
Just arrived. These definitely look like the new pads. I don't get the complaints of about weight, these don't seem unusually heavy to me.. I don't feel the need to EQ either, at least for the type of music I listen to. F*ck these are sexy. Shedua wood is gorgeous.

lcd2.jpg

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #12,648 of 13,132
Just arrived. These definitely look like the new pads. I don't get the complaints of about weight, these don't seem unusually heavy to me.. I don't feel the need to EQ either, at least for the type of music I listen to. F*ck these are sexy. Shedua wood is gorgeous.

lcd2.jpg
you can tell by the way they kind of collapse around the sides. I’d say they look like the new ones. My wood is not nearly that beautiful.. you got a really nice set! Also... how are you driving them? I’m still trying to figure out what amp to get for mine.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #12,649 of 13,132
you can tell by the way they kind of collapse around the sides. I’d say they look like the new ones. My wood is not nearly that beautiful.. you got a really nice set! Also... how are you driving them? I’m still trying to figure out what amp to get for mine.
Yeah I'm totally stoked about how the the wood came out. I'm driving it with a the Schiit Magni 3 using a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as the Dac. I'm not really picky about amps and dacs. I need to get an adapter so I can try out the Fiio Btr-5.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #12,650 of 13,132
Lovely wood and finish on them...chomping to try a set vs the first version 2010.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #12,651 of 13,132
I'm not really picky about amps and dacs. I need to get an adapter so I can try out the Fiio Btr-5.
BTR5 which I own, will give you 'medium volume nice sound' but its a choke in the ability of those cans.
I only use BTR5 for netflix and a projector with my Aeon2Cs...and BTR5 puts more focus on the mids (voices) which works for me....
If you dig on headfi you can get decent DAC/Amp combos and not too pricey these days that will really release the LCD-2 sound.
r2r and THX 887 was perfect for my 2.1 LCD-2 but again it has a totally different presentation to the new ones...dark and thick.

Really if THX887 were around in 2010 I don't think there would have been the complaints regarding treble roll-off/soundstage/instrument separation etc...it totally slapped 2.1s into shape....totally great synergy with them.

Even E1DA9038D (clinical - max detail extraction) + JDS Atom
...sound at this price unheard of even 3 or so years ago...maybe

or Schiit Modi Multibit (warmer/fuller) + JDS Atom will give you way more than BTR5 could ever do....

LCD-2s 'easy to power' on new gen. still need that overhead current reserve for complex bass and mids.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #12,652 of 13,132
I am using Valhalla 2 and Jot 2. Both work very well and give different sound signature which is quite fun

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #12,653 of 13,132
BTR5 which I own, will give you 'medium volume nice sound' but its a choke in the ability of those cans.
I only use BTR5 for netflix and a projector with my Aeon2Cs...and BTR5 puts more focus on the mids (voices) which works for me....
If you dig on headfi you can get decent DAC/Amp combos and not too pricey these days that will really release the LCD-2 sound.
r2r and THX 887 was perfect for my 2.1 LCD-2 but again it has a totally different presentation to the new ones...dark and thick.

Really if THX887 were around in 2010 I don't think there would have been the complaints regarding treble roll-off/soundstage/instrument separation etc...it totally slapped 2.1s into shape....totally great synergy with them.

Even E1DA9038D (clinical - max detail extraction) + JDS Atom
...sound at this price unheard of even 3 or so years ago...maybe

or Schiit Modi Multibit (warmer/fuller) + JDS Atom will give you way more than BTR5 could ever do....

LCD-2s 'easy to power' on new gen. still need that overhead current reserve for complex bass and mids.
totally. I have a btr5 with hd6xx, sounds so much better as bluetooth than wired... jds atom plus dac so much better.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #12,654 of 13,132

Have you tried the Btr-5 balanced with the Lcd-2? I just ordered balanced cables from Hart audio for the Btr5.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #12,657 of 13,132
Dekoni Sheepskin Elite came in, going right back. Compared to the stock leather pre-fazor pads they remove a whole lot of the sub-bass and make the mids really off for my ears, I don't even know how to describe it. It sounds fine for the most part, but putting back the stock pads makes everything just more natural. Might just be different, not for me.

The one positive is it further removes some peaks and that is nice, but not worth the tradeoff. Was really hoping these were the pads for my glasses but the hunt is back on. Also removing the pads on my Classics was at least possible without damaging them too much.... My god they really don't want you to remove the pads on the pre-fazors. If I ever decide to sell it (Doubt it) Might have dropped the value by $50 at least now, the pads work just fine and still look fine, mostly, but you can tell they were removed.

Really think Audeze needs to rethink this whole glue think in the future. It sucksssssss.
Check these out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-2-2-pads-original-unused.956134/

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #12,658 of 13,132
Have you tried the Btr-5 balanced with the Lcd-2? I just ordered balanced cables from Hart audio for the Btr5.
It will be better than the SE connection, if only because the voltage is doubled and the mWatts output headroom will probably 30% or so be higher.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #12,659 of 13,132
After more listening time I am finding a little EQ isn't a bad thing in the female vocal range. I'm open to EQ recommendations.
I've been using just a single peak filter of +4 dB @ 3800, Q factor=0.9 and really liking it. It helps pull the mids forward a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back