Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #8,131 of 13,132

Well, maybe. However, some people exaggerate the imaginary improvements so much that they cause people to waste their money. I would feel bad if floppiness spent his money in that way, instead of getting a better dac/amp or headphones. 99% of the time, reputable audio companies include high quality cables in the package. I would only understand buying a new cable if the stock one is too short/long for you.

just dont call someone an idiot...state your opinion as well, is what he's saying, not as to whether or not the cables actually make a difference.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #8,133 of 13,132
  Is science shunned up here? I don't think it was cool of that other guy to call anyone an idiot but there is actual evidence (such as the link with Tyll) backing up that argument. Someone asked if getting a wire was worth it for sound quality, there's clearly two sides to that, one side of the argument is subjective while the other has numbers.

People can measure very very small differences sometimes. This argument assumes, though, that we know how to measure all sonic differences between materials, but we don't. There are certainly differences we cannot measure. Not all of science is know, or can be known, so it bothers me with all of the objectivists that constantly cry foul of subjective claims when they know they can't measure everything (not that this is you).

My cable looks better, is far more durable, and I think it sounds better, so it's worth it to me.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8,134 of 13,132

Well, maybe. However, some people exaggerate the imaginary improvements so much that they cause people to waste their money. I would feel bad if floppiness spent his money in that way, instead of getting a better dac/amp or headphones. 99% of the time, reputable audio companies include high quality cables in the package. I would only understand buying a new cable if the stock one is too short/long for you.

Yep, I have plenty of aftermarket cables - none was purchased to increase the sound quality.
But some stock cables are: 
- too long
- single ended when I need balanced
- smell nasty
- are rubbery 
- too heavy
and whatnot. So for me it's purely from an aesthetic and usability viewpoint. And I think some companies (looking at you Audeze) packing a cable that is not nice at all (for the price tag). Take a look at the Oppo PM-1 or PM-2 cable. Much better.

Cheers.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,135 of 13,132
Yep, I never bought a cable just to get better SQ either. My Audeze cable was falling apart after a year and it was too long and rubbery to begin with.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #8,136 of 13,132

Yeah, I've decided to stick with the stock cable. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #8,137 of 13,132
Got my LCD2 back from service (original driver from LCD2.1.5 (2010-2011) failed). The new driver (Fazor 2016 revision) is better than the original driver in almost everyway. Mid range magic and bass slam are all there (bass is actually better with more sub bass texture and clarity). The downside is the new driver does not sound as intimate as the old. In that regard, the new driver is not as forgiving of badly recorded materials as the old.  Someone should compare the latest LCD2 driver with the original LCD3. I suspect the new LCD2 will best the old LCD3 in many areas.

My amp is B22 and source is Linn Klimax DS. I would pair the new driver with analog-voiced sources. The MSB analog and Playback Designs dacs are good choices along with the Linn.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #8,138 of 13,132
  Got my LCD2 back from service (original driver from LCD2.1.5 (2010-2011) failed). The new driver (Fazor 2016 revision) is better than the original driver in almost everyway. Mid range magic and bass slam are all there (bass is actually better with more sub bass texture and clarity). The downside is the new driver does not sound as intimate as the old. In that regard, the new driver is not as forgiving of badly recorded materials as the old.  Someone should compare the latest LCD2 driver with the original LCD3. I suspect the new LCD2 will best the old LCD3 in many areas.

My amp is B22 and source is Linn Klimax DS. I would pair the new driver with analog-voiced sources. The MSB analog and Playback Designs dacs are good choices along with the Linn.

have to agree...Michael mercer does compare the fazor LCD-2 to the OG lcd-3 and says they are very very similar. I like everything Fazor brings, less forgiving and all its the right step towards neutrality while retaining enough of the Audeze magic. Best of both worlds tbh.

http://headphone.guru/mercers-product-of-the-year-audeze-lcd-2-w-fazor/

EDIT: re-reading the post Mercer actually essentially says Fazor lcd-2 is better then the original LCD-3 so hey there, bang on "almost-prediction" lol

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #8,139 of 13,132

That is interesting that this new 2016 revision outdoes the low-end on the original 2.1 which I have.
(Is the new revision a 2.3F or a 2.4F in terms of incremental changes ?) ...It helps when people are talking at impressions of various models across the LCD-2.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #8,140 of 13,132
Given the variations that can occur within a given model, I shall take these observations with a grain of salt. But time will tell whether this holds up consistently.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,141 of 13,132
I have no impressions to offer - just that my pair will be arriving next weekend or so. These are pure indulgence - almost over the top, but I don't indulge in anything but music. These will be my work phones, where the more laid back sound while keeping slam and detail should be greatly appreciated.

And unlike most headphones, the first listen should be delicious out of box. Only the hd650 gave me the magic first taste of, "That is so smooth..." on the first listen. Then comes the real pleasure of moving into a deeper understanding of the cans....

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #8,142 of 13,132
For me, it's a deeper understanding of the music. Not the cans.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #8,143 of 13,132
For me, it's a deeper understanding of the music. Not the cans. :rolleyes:

This was uncalled for. Don't demean the guy for sharing his excitement with us. For most of us half the fun of this hobby is the gear, nothing unusual or wrong about that.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,144 of 13,132
For once I agree with bavinick. There's a lot of fun to be had researching and exploring new gear, and especially listening to it. For me it was the gateway into finding some of my absolute favorite artists.

Right now I'm basking in Creedence Clearwater Revival, a group I would never have found without the hobby.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #8,145 of 13,132
I have no impressions to offer - just that my pair will be arriving next weekend or so. These are pure indulgence - almost over the top, but I don't indulge in anything but music. These will be my work phones, where the more laid back sound while keeping slam and detail should be greatly appreciated.

And unlike most headphones, the first listen should be delicious out of box. Only the hd650 gave me the magic first taste of, "That is so smooth..." on the first listen. Then comes the real pleasure of moving into a deeper understanding of the cans....

You may be disappointed. The new LCD2 is not laid back like hd650 anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back