Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,571 of 13,132
  Dear Sirs,

I am new to the Audeze brand and am considering purchasing a LCD-2 to understand what the charm of the brand is about.

Could someone please explain why a non-fazor or pre-fazor LCD-2 v2 is so desirable? Who or what is fazor and why did he/does it mess up a winning formula?

Thank you.

Fazor's are part of the assembly:  http://www.audeze.com/technology/tech-tour/audeze-planars

some don't like it as it seems to reduce the sub bass by a couple of decibels.  Others like it because it adds a bit more clarity to the sound.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #3,572 of 13,132
Just got my LCD2's. I got no idea what all the "way too heavy" noise around these cans is all about.....
eek.gif

Could wear them all day...and I will !

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,573 of 13,132
  Just got my LCD2's. I got no idea what all the "way too heavy" noise around these cans is all about.....
eek.gif

Could wear them all day...and I will !

I do so (wear them all day), no complains. They've been here for 7 months.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #3,574 of 13,132
I'm not finding the treble dull or recessed on 2.1's either. I've yet to build a balanced cable on taps to hear it that way, but even on single-end it is great so far.
Another keeper 4sure.

Soon as I get time, I'm making new cups from this MOON EBONY wood with directly terminated litz.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #3,576 of 13,132
I honestly thought they would be double the weight based on abandoned LCD-2 ex-owners comments on other threads...yes, the new HFM are looking to be featherweight, but these are hardly for the heavy lifters only...
L3000.gif

I nearly bought the LCD-3 pads but read they can be too squishy so they almost fully compress in front of the ear.
So maybe pick up the velours instead....though the old 2.1 pads density and material justifies the higher cost...they really are BUILT.
EDIT : If they sound this textured out a Macbook Air with this below cannot wait for balanced cables FLAC out of taps on an amp.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3,577 of 13,132
  I honestly thought they would be double the weight based on abandoned LCD-2 ex-owners comments on other threads...yes, the new HFM are looking to be featherweight, but these are hardly for the heavy lifters only...
L3000.gif

I nearly bought the LCD-3 pads but read they can be too squishy so they almost fully compress in front of the ear.
So maybe pick up the velours instead....though the old 2.1 pads density and material justifies the higher cost...they really are BUILT.

Definitely agree about the weight thing, when I first got them I was also really confused why everyone was so put off by the weight lol. I was used to wearing denon d5000s which are 350 grams or so, and the LCD 2s are like over 500, yet once on your head there is almost no difference.

I have a later 2013 model, still pre-fazor, so it has whatever is the now standard pads for all their models, and even though they can sometimes squish a bit too much after some time, they never go too far. I felt the pads around and it seems the front part is a bit stiffer than the back part, like if you squish them all the way. so it generally will stay padded up nicely. it's mainly the top or bottom of the pads that can squish the most (depends on head shape), and I have seen some pictures of people wearing them where they definitely squish almost all the way to the wood. Doesn't happen for me though, but I have an average to slightly smaller than average sized head.

One thing I did notice recently though, is if you're coming out of a cold or have one or are simply prone to getting your ears stuffed up from pressure changes, then the vacuum effect when you put on the LCD 2 can actually stuff up one of your ears and makes you think there is something off with the channels. I only realized it when I kept messing with the fit, which made me constantly break that seal and reapply it, mostly over my left ear, and suddenly the music seemed louder and brighter in the right ear than the left lol, even though for the entire time prior it was fine. eventually it goes away once you stop messing with them. But it is something to pay attention to if you're always prone to these things, since Audeze headphones are pretty unique by having that vacuum effect unlike other headphones.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3,578 of 13,132

copyright rhythmdevils :cool:

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,579 of 13,132
Jul 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #3,580 of 13,132
hm, lcd2 gets complaints about weight and comfort issues, what does audeze do? obviously, release two heavier and less comfortable iterations! nobody cares, cos all sound awesome and their prices hurt much more than their weight and comfort issues!
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,581 of 13,132
  hm, lcd2 gets complaints about weight and comfort issues, what does audeze do? obviously, release two heavier and less comfortable iterations! nobody cares, cos all sound awesome and their prices hurt much more than their weight and comfort issues!
biggrin.gif

Yea I think our wallets get hit by the weight a lot more than our heads lol. But honestly I don't see why they can't just make a headband with none of those separated pillows and just have it be one solid piece of comfy foam, like almost everyone else does. I only say that because with my head size only like two of the pillows touch my head and location of the headband of my head causes only 3/4 of it to lay on my head. its fine after like 5 minutes of adjusting, and I forget about it, but it makes an obvious impression when you first put them on. I just find it funny how super light weight headphones, and usually cheaper ones at that, use like massive amounts of headband foam, when it is totally not needed for that type of headphone, and then here we have some of the heaviest headphones, and the largest, yet with literally some of the least amount of headband padding.

but hey it does look cool :D

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #3,582 of 13,132
I never found LCD2.2, LCD3, or LCD-X uncomfortable at all. I have worn each for many hours at a stretch no problem. BTW the X are absolutely unbelievable headphones.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #3,583 of 13,132
well lets put it like this than

all are comfortable

now

name 5 1k+$ not discontinued cans that are less comfortable

name 5 1k+$ not discontinued cans that are more comfortable

biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #3,584 of 13,132
  I never found LCD2.2, LCD3, or LCD-X uncomfortable at all. I have worn each for many hours at a stretch no problem. BTW the X are absolutely unbelievable headphones.

How does X compare to LCD-2 ? It will give me more of an idea of what is unique about 2 and its weaknesses..

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #3,585 of 13,132

How does X compare to LCD-2 ? It will give me more of an idea of what is unique about 2 and its weaknesses..

Only heard LCD X for 15 mins but it is definitely more detailed than LCD-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back