Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,831 of 13,132
Well, I have them. My impressions are obviously to be taken with a giant grain of salt; I've driven them only out of my computer (at 100% they are decently loud) and a home theater receiver, and I've never listened to anything this "hi-fi" before. Still waiting on the Aune T1 sale which I know is coming, its just a question of when. 
That said, wow. For starters, these are BEAUTIFUL. No questions asked. Nice to the point packaging, and a quality feel to all of it. And then the sound. I really wasn't expecting such a drastic difference, law of diminishing returns and whatnot. But the soundstage, the imaging, and the overall frequency response (so basically everything) are so out of the league of anything i've ever heard that I can't help but be blown away. There really is no going back down once you've gone up, is there? Can't wait to hear these out of a proper amp; although I am very impressed and there is still the whole "new toy" effect going on, I can hear where the extra power would help. The bottom end needs to be filled out, and separation will improve as well. Still better than what I've heard as is, but there's room for improvement and I'm excited to hear it.
...I can't believe I actually own these headphones. Still slightly in disbelief.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,833 of 13,132
Well, I have them. My impressions are obviously to be taken with a giant grain of salt; I've driven them only out of my computer (at 100% they are decently loud) and a home theater receiver, and I've never listened to anything this "hi-fi" before. Still waiting on the Aune T1 sale which I know is coming, its just a question of when. 
That said, wow. For starters, these are BEAUTIFUL. No questions asked. Nice to the point packaging, and a quality feel to all of it. And then the sound. I really wasn't expecting such a drastic difference, law of diminishing returns and whatnot. But the soundstage, the imaging, and the overall frequency response (so basically everything) are so out of the league of anything i've ever heard that I can't help but be blown away. There really is no going back down once you've gone up, is there? Can't wait to hear these out of a proper amp; although I am very impressed and there is still the whole "new toy" effect going on, I can hear where the extra power would help. The bottom end needs to be filled out, and separation will improve as well. Still better than what I've heard as is, but there's room for improvement and I'm excited to hear it.
...I can't believe I actually own these headphones. Still slightly in disbelief.

i have the aune t1 with lcd2 the amp in aune t1 is not powerful enough for lcd2 .

compared to ur computer the aune t1 will sound a lot cleaner, but you are lossing out in terms of bass compared to something like shiit lyr.

yea this headphone needs power

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,834 of 13,132
i have the aune t1 with lcd2 the amp in aune t1 is not powerful enough for lcd2 .

compared to ur computer the aune t1 will sound a lot cleaner, but you are lossing out in terms of bass compared to something like shiit lyr.

yea this headphone needs power

For starters http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2235#post_9591616 Supposedly, the T1 with the LCD-2 provides a fair amount of headroom. 
Secondly, yes, if you upgrade your gear, you will get better sound. Thats generally the way it works. But, the T1 will be enough to give me some headroom, which is what I'm looking for, as well as a substantial upgrade over just my computer.
Third of all, the T1 is temporary as an amp for me. After a while I plan on buying the Project Ember, at which point I will only be using the DAC section of the T1. 

Thanks for you concern though :) 

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,836 of 13,132
I read  that the latest LCD-2s are coming with the squishier ear pads like the LCD-3s. (I think it may have been in a review of the new LCD-X models). Anyone know if that is true?

thanks!

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,837 of 13,132
Just ordered a pair of these today. They should be here by Wednesday, I am pretty excited, might even have to call in sick to work on Thursday :)  I'm just hoping they sound as good as I am expecting through my Peachtree Nova Pre.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,838 of 13,132
my latest toy... 4 by 2 inches...50W x2....smsl sa-50 T-amp...driving my LCD2/HE6 cleanly..v powerful. i highly recommend u checkg it out guys.
connect via 4speaker taps.
http://www.amazon.com/SA-50-TDA7492-Digital-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B008XTDBYW

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,839 of 13,132
I read  that the latest LCD-2s are coming with the squishier ear pads like the LCD-3s. (I think it may have been in a review of the new LCD-X models). Anyone know if that is true?

thanks!

The other question for those who have swapped the LCD-3 pads on to the LCD-2, are they more comfortable and worth the $80 or $100 cost.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,840 of 13,132
I have ordered a pair of the new LCD-2 pads to replace my rev.1. pads. I'll post impressions later.
(From pictures of the LCD2/LCD3 pads, both seem to be of similar build, except that the LCD3 pads appear slightly thicker/taller than the LCD2 pads.)

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,841 of 13,132
According to a rep from Audeze, the foam currently used in both the lcd 2 and 3 earpads is the same, just the quality (softness) of the leather is different. (Softer leather on the LCD 3). 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,842 of 13,132
Can someone confirm whether the clamp on the lcd2 can be reduced by gently stretching/bending the headband? (with no ill effects)

thanks...

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,843 of 13,132
  Can someone confirm whether the clamp on the lcd2 can be reduced by gently stretching/bending the headband? (with no ill effects)

thanks...

Yes, it can be.  It wasn't necessary in my case, but lots of people have done so with no ill effects.  Some people placed/stored the headphones over an appropriately thick stack of books to do so - that seems like the gentlest way to me.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,844 of 13,132
I just received my LCD-2 this Friday. I have spent the better part of the last 24 hours enjoying them. I was worried about comfort when I ordered them. My worry was completely misplaced. These cans are very comfortable for me. The (lambskin) pads are very soft and squishy and the clamp is perfect for my smallish head. I have worn these for many hours in a row and I pretty much forget that they are on. My AHD-5000 were probably a bit more comfortable but these are way more comfortable than my HE-400 with velour pads. 
The sound is astonishing. I'm not as much of an audiophile as most on this forum. I only have a variety of inexpensive cans, B&W P3, AHD-500, HE-400 to compare to so I am completely blown away by these. I am running them through a completely balanced chain, Emotiva DC-1 DAC, Emotiva XSP-1 Preamp, and Firestone Bobby amp. My source is a dedicated CAPS server running J-River with all lossless files streaming from a NAS. These headphones are just amazing, they fit my tastes perfectly. As I am typing I'm listening to Dire Straits Hand in Hand from Making Movies and it sounds amazing. I have never heard drums that sound like this from a headphone before. I'm so happy!   

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,845 of 13,132
Congrats on the lcd2!! That's a fine hp you've got yourself. Did you go with bamboo and leather? Give them another week and let me know how you feel about the comfort. I'll loved them over the first three days but then the weight got to me. Hopefully it will be a non issue for you. 

I'd be interested to know how you find the bass compared the he400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back