Audeze LCD-2 Complaints
May 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cheebamaster

New Head-Fier
I've had my LCD-2 for a few weeks now and recently set it up with Woo Audios WA7 Firefly (amazing product) The headphones sound great but I have a couple complaints. I've compared the sound to my Dennon AH-D2000, Sennheiser HD700, and Sennheiser 598,

First and foremost, my left and right channels are swapped on the LCD-2. Is this intended or something? I've tested with other phones and have not had this same issue
2nd, driver matching was not nearly as linear as my Sennheisers. It wasn't awful, but for a 1000$ price tag I really don't understand why it is being outperformed by a much lesser headphone
3rd, In a listening test I actually enjoyed the bass and soundstage of my hd598 much better than the LCD-2. I see that this is subjective but the LCD-2 just sounds muddy to me.
I will saw however that these blow my dennons out of the water. The dennons don't even begin to compare to either headset

For music I listen to heavy electronic music and classical piano/orchestral. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum on what I like and I figured the LCD-2 would be the best option but I am having second thoughts on this purchase esp considering how I enjoy my 598's better and how they seem to be much more linear without awful hiccups. Can anyone comment on this? I'm not trying to defame this headset as I think it sounds great but I dont see why I'm having issues at this pricetag given its reputation.

May 13, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 14
L-R channels flipped but only on the LCD2? That's definitely a cable issue (either intrinsic to the cable, or extrinsic as in you confused the L and R connectors).

I do agree that current open-air planar magnetic cans do seem to have some trouble getting perfect FR driver matching, compared to the dynamic driver counterparts. It's reflected in measurements too. Probably has something to do with the factor of controlling the diaphragm membrane tension being much more complex than stamping out identical solid voice-coil diaphragms. It is indeed annoying for OCD people like me or perhaps you, but hey hopefully the planar makers refine their production controls.

Have you accounted for the FR differences into your evaluation of the (lack of) clarity of the Audezes relative to the Senns? Personally I find Audeze cans to be a bit too damped for my taste, meaning they sound fairly closed despite being fully open headphones, that might be the culprit for what you perceive. With that in mind then, planar cans with close-to-zero damping e.g. Hifiman headphones might be more up your alley.

May 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 14
I thought the LCD2 had a muddy/muffled quality, despite being highly resolving and having a clean sound, and chalked it up to poor imaging, which most head-fiers claim as the weak point of the LCDs. It could be something else, but I think it's something along that axis. My former IEMs had more of a 3D out of head presentation than them too, so I'm not surprised by your comments in comparison to the Senn598s.  The sound quality complaints are characteristic to the headphone but the L/R channel your experiencing is not. Sounds like a technical problem, worthy of warranty.

Quote:
I see that this is subjective but the LCD-2 just sounds muddy to me.

May 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
I thought the LCD2 had a muddy/muffled quality, despite being highly resolving and having a clean sound, and chalked it up to poor imaging, which most head-fiers claim as the weak point of the LCDs. It could be something else, but I think it's something along that axis. My former IEMs had more of a 3D out of head presentation than them too, so I'm not surprised by your comments in comparison to the Senn598s.  The sound quality complaints are characteristic to the headphone but the L/R channel your experiencing is not. Sounds like a technical problem, worthy of warranty.

I don't understand how the LCD2 can sound ''muddy and muffled'' and at the same time be, ''resolving'' and have a ''clean sound''
confused.gif

May 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

I don't understand how the LCD2 can sound ''muddy and muffled'' and at the same time be, ''resolving'' and have a ''clean sound''
confused.gif

Great transparent midrange, but not enough treble + small headstaging.

It's like how people ask why HE400s are both dark and bright - it's because they are dark in certain aspects (upper mids) but bright in others (mid/upper treble). Traits aren't always one-dimensional in nature.

May 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the responses,

Is there a headphone you would recommend for someone who enjoys classical music and dubstep (polar opposites I know haha) I was considering the Dennon Ah-D7100 but after comparing the ah-d2000's to the 598's/lcd-2 I was not impressed in the least by its performance. After being a classical musician for many years I enjoy a "clean" Sennheiser-like taste with a heavy dennon like bass. Wouldn't hurt to have a bigger soundstage too. Orchestral music feels like it's right in my ear instead of atmospheric like a hall. Price cap is 1500$ or so.

Audeze was kind enough to issue me an RMA and fix the cabling/driver issue so I'll be keeping the phones. Customer service was stellar they got back to me within 1 hr.

May 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Thanks for the responses,

Is there a headphone you would recommend for someone who enjoys classical music and dubstep (polar opposites I know haha) I was considering the Dennon Ah-D7100 but after comparing the ah-d2000's to the 598's/lcd-2 I was not impressed in the least by its performance. After being a classical musician for many years I enjoy a "clean" Sennheiser-like taste with a heavy dennon like bass. Wouldn't hurt to have a bigger soundstage too. Orchestral music feels like it's right in my ear instead of atmospheric like a hall. Price cap is 1500$ or so.

Audeze was kind enough to issue me an RMA and fix the cabling/driver issue so I'll be keeping the phones. Customer service was stellar they got back to me within 1 hr.

You might wanna look into Fostex TH900 then, its price has been dropping very recently and its sound seems to fit what you are looking for perfectly.

Alternatively, a "safe" approach would be for you to try out HE500, it has more rumbly bass than LCD2, more open sound, more present treble, and is all in all one of the most effective "all-rounder" headphones that might just satisfy both your classical + dubstep preferences.

May 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 14
Soundstage is smallish, so it makes things a little congested and compressed at times. At least that's what I heard when I owned it. Otherwise I loved the tonality, but imaging wasn't the greatest, and treble rolled off early. Also I like a good reverbant bass so it wasn't for me either.

May 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
You might wanna look into Fostex TH900 then, its price has been dropping very recently and its sound seems to fit what you are looking for perfectly.

TH900 is dropping, it's $1500 ~ in Canada. Hope it drops more :)

May 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 14
To OP: why don't you upgrade your HD700 to HD800 ? and don't even think about AH-D7100, I was very disappointed in new Denon flagship.

May 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
I think the HE500 would be the next can to try.

I agree. I love my LCD2s, and gave my HE500s to my daughter, but these might be the ones you want.(and 1/2 your budget)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back