Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #586 of 883
He literally said he's running a Loki, and I suggested he try real EQ for even finer grained control (might be fun for him, I know it's fun for me!)
My god, I'm blind; I missed his earlier post. Thanks for the correction! :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #587 of 883
Been enjoying these cans with this set up listening to electronic music almost exclusively like one of my personal favorite labels Long Island Electrical Systems (L.I.E.S).

The music ranges from hard house to slower electro tracks and even merging into ambient and left field while maintaining good grooves.
A lot of electronic music can become robotic due to its repetitive style but I think a large percentage of the releases on that label is really solid stuff.
Also these cans pull off rap music quite well and while I don’t listen too much to rap I really like some Bay Area rappers like Philthy Rich

These cans have a large presentation for closed backs.
I bought them to replace my Aeon 2 Open and while the Aeons might have a little more sub bass the Audeze takes it in terms of soundstage, detail retrieval, texture and dynamics.
I bought and sold off my Cascades to compare them to the LCD2 Closed and while the mid bass was crazy the rest was a mess.

I always have the X Bass button pressed on the Zen Can and its been providing a satisfying sub thump with my music.
I can’t wait to try an LCD4

74B4CE00-0235-4190-801A-7CE0170A8095.jpeg

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #588 of 883
Been enjoying these cans with this set up listening to electronic music almost exclusively like one of my personal favorite labels Long Island Electrical Systems (L.I.E.S).

The music ranges from hard house to slower electro tracks and even merging into ambient and left field while maintaining good grooves.
A lot of electronic music can become robotic due to its repetitive style but I think a large percentage of the releases on that label is really solid stuff.
Also these cans pull off rap music quite well and while I don’t listen too much to rap I really like some Bay Area rappers like Philthy Rich

These cans have a large presentation for closed backs.
I bought them to replace my Aeon 2 Open and while the Aeons might have a little more sub bass the Audeze takes it in terms of soundstage, detail retrieval, texture and dynamics.
I bought and sold off my Cascades to compare them to the LCD2 Closed and while the mid bass was crazy the rest was a mess.

I always have the X Bass button pressed on the Zen Can and its been providing a satisfying sub thump with my music.
I can’t wait to try an LCD4

Nice @Ficcion2. How do you find the comfort on these? Some have said they are heavy and cause neck fatigue after several hours.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #589 of 883
They are heavy, and they will cause neck fatigue, but after a few days you just get bigger neck muscles =)

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #590 of 883
Former LCD-2C closed owner. After extensive comparison, I kept the Denon AH-D7200. Much lighter, no neck fatigue at all. Really good bass, similar to the Audeze, not invasive of the mids. A bit less soundstage, which means the Denon sound closer to you.
If you love the LCD-2C closed sound but hate the weight, give them a try.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #591 of 883
Nice @Ficcion2. How do you find the comfort on these? Some have said they are heavy and cause neck fatigue after several hours.

The weight is quite noticeable especially when comparing with it with something like an HD6XX or a Sundara.
But the pads are quite plushy and the headband helps distribute the weight well.

Im not sure if they’ve revised the 2020 models like mine but I wear them for hours at a time with no discomfort.

I actually had a friend over recently and he kept grabbing the Audeze over my other cans which was unexpected.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #592 of 883
I really dont have any problems with the weight of these (neckwise), but the godamn flimsy strap is stretching and touches the spring steel and that creates hot spots. I need to shorten them AGAIN because of stretch..

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #593 of 883
Glad to see this thread is still active and some new comments. I took a bit of a hiatus from this forum for a few weeks (and listening in general.) After I guess letting my ears kind of "forget" the signatures of all my cans, I've got to say that I always fight for these vs the GH2 and it's way harder than it used to be. The Grados are a better all arounder, has a more pleasing tuning and is MUCH lighter. But weight be damned I still love something about these. If I had to guess it would be that there doesn't seem to be any particular region of the frequency response that gets noticably buried below others. And like someone mentioned above the soundstage is surprisingly WIDE on these for a closed!
When I first got the Sundara, I initially liked the tuning of it better. But lately I've come to appreciate the quality increased that the price difference buys you. Construction, faithfulness to source, and speed are all here. The Sundara get maybe 1/5 of my listening time since I've gotten back into these well balanced closed backs!

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #594 of 883
The weight is quite noticeable especially when comparing with it with something like an HD6XX or a Sundara.
But the pads are quite plushy and the headband helps distribute the weight well.

Im not sure if they’ve revised the 2020 models like mine but I wear them for hours at a time with no discomfort.

I actually had a friend over recently and he kept grabbing the Audeze over my other cans which was unexpected.
I got one of these coming. I was wondering what changes they did on the 2020 one besides the cups. It looks better by a mile from your pic btw. Tried to find any info on the revision but to no avail.

EDIT: I was able to get in touch with Audeze support. They said that there are no significant difference in sound, driver are all the same. Though they updated the foam for the pads in the latest update.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #595 of 883
You could try a Schiit Loki; however, a next-gen Loki is currently in the works, with finer control over smaller frequency ranges (i.e. more knobs). I use a Schiit Loki, and it's pretty decent, despite the lack of granular control.
I just got a new version of the Loki. Still four dials.

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #596 of 883
I've gotta say, these things absolutely LOVE EQ.
Just noticing the same thing. I can crank the mid-bass and sub-bass on my Loki and everything is still clean and detailed. If I try anything close to that on my ZMFs, it just becomes a mess and loses its magic. That being said, I love the Atticus just the way they are.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #597 of 883
Just noticing the same thing. I can crank the mid-bass and sub-bass on my Loki and everything is still clean and detailed. If I try anything close to that on my ZMFs, it just becomes a mess and loses its magic. That being said, I love the Atticus just the way they are.

Yes, the Loki does a great job at fine tuning without ruining the sound. The only minor complaint I have (which again, I knew was the case before purchase) was that each band being adjusted does bleed a bit into the other. For instance, if I really crave the low sub-bass to make my glasses vibrate and crank the 20Hz knob full, I need to turn the 400Hz knob down to about 10 o'clock to reduce the increased upper-bass / lower mids. Again, not knocking a single thing off it because the price, quality, and usefulness are great!

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #598 of 883
That makes a lot of sense since its planar. If you dont mind me asking, how's this stack up against your Atticus?

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #599 of 883
That makes a lot of sense since its planar. If you dont mind me asking, how's this stack up against your Atticus?
The Atticus has it beat in spades for appearance and comfort (although the LCD-2 closed pads are pretty comfy and the weight is distributed pretty evenly). But I'm guessing that's not what you're curious about.

Although the Atticus has a smooth and fun mid-bass, it doesn't pack the same punch that the Audeze do. If you're a big bass head, the LCD-2 closed are your winners. Both headphones are pretty wide for closed backs, but I'd give a slight edge to the Atticus. The imaging is better on the Atticus. A perfect example -- I'm listening to "Too Much Time on My Hands" by Styx and the *clap clap* (i.e around 1:39 and 1:47 and 1:54) has a much cleaner, more distinguished left vs. right pan. To the point where when I was listening to it last night on my ZMFs, I handed them off to the missus and she noticed it as well. There's just slightly better layering / separation in the Atticus. The Atticus also feels a bit more natural, warm (not in a bassy way), relaxing, musical, delicate (sorry -- just words that are coming to mind). Not sure if it's a "speed" thing (i.e. faster planar = harder/edgier vs. smoother, slower ZMFs). Both headphones surface a lot of details that you typically don't notice They are clear, but not fatiguing... but I'd say for comfort reasons and for the smoothness, the ZMFs would be my "extended listening session" headphones.

If you want to rock out, I'd go with the LCD-2s and then slap an EQ on them.

If you just want to chill and enjoy the music, the Atticus are the winners. I just put a pilot pad (bought from here) on my Cocobolos last night. Soooo comfy. Soooo smooth. So enjoyable.

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #600 of 883
I just got a new version of the Loki. Still four dials.
The Loki Max should be hitting production soon; it is Freya-sized, and features 6 knobs. It's also 10 times as expensive as the Loki+. Oh, well.

1617196499806.png

In any case, enjoy your LCD-2 Closed Back (with the Loki). :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back