Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #182 of 883
My new setup for the LCD-2CB's. The dynamics, details and clarity are greatly improved with Hugo 2 in the mix. I'm trying to decide which I like more. Driving the LCD-2CB's straight from the Hugo 2 or using it as a DAC in between the Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Loki. The Loki is incredible and a tweaker's delight. The LCD-2CB's really responds well to EQ'ing and the clean, class A power from the Gilmore lite Mk2 is a bonus. What I like about the Loki is it really helps in fixing crappy recordings.

Gilmore Lite Mk2 and LCD-2CB.JPEG

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #184 of 883
The Hugo 2 is much better as a dac than as a headphone amp. I drive my lcd2cb with Hugo2 and Wooaudio wa8 and find the frequency extension, dynamics and clarity much better than with just the Hugo2
I tend to agree with you and that is how I use the Hugo 2 majority of the time. I pair it with my Pro iCan to drive my less efficient headphones. The LCD-2CB's out of the Pro iCan is on another level. The LCD-2CB's love the power of the Pro iCan and they scale beautifully.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #185 of 883
I run an RME ADI Dac 2
I have a pair of Emu-Teaks
Has anyone had any experience or can anyone try and compare both ?
Thanks!

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #186 of 883
I'm looking for a closed back for the office as an upgrade from my Audeze Sine on-ear headphones.
These are currently 670 USD from our local dealer as a black Friday offering.
Should I pull the plug or is there something better in this price?
Will this be a noticeable upgrade from the sines?

They will be powered with Magni 3 + Modi 3.

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #187 of 883
I'm looking for a closed back for the office as an upgrade from my Audeze Sine on-ear headphones.
These are currently 670 USD from our local dealer as a black Friday offering.
Should I pull the plug or is there something better in this price?
Will this be a noticeable upgrade from the sines?

They will be powered with Magni 3 + Modi 3.

The sound is really, really good, but when you say office upgrade, if that means 6 hours of listening per day... they might be a bit heavy for that.

I listen to mine for about one hour before I start to feel the weight in my lower neck and I probably have an average to strong neck.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #188 of 883
The sound is really, really good, but when you say office upgrade, if that means 6 hours of listening per day... they might be a bit heavy for that.

I listen to mine for about one hour before I start to feel the weight in my lower neck and I probably have an average to strong neck.

Usually, I try not to sit for more than 1-2 hours straight, so I guess this won't be an issue.
I just want to make sure they are indeed an upgrade... I don't want to spend my hard earned money and be disappointed.

I wonder why there is so little interest in these compared to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #189 of 883
Usually, I try not to sit for more than 1-2 hours straight, so I guess this won't be an issue.
I just want to make sure they are indeed an upgrade... I don't want to spend my hard earned money and be disappointed.

I wonder why there is so little interest in these compared to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

I haven't heard the Aeon Flow Closed but I read plenty of reviews. It sounds like it is quite a different sound signature compared to the 2CB. I was going to trade the 2CBs for the Aeon Flow Closed because of the comfort... I told myself that if I am going to listen to my closed backs for hours, comfort is paramount. But everyone described the Aoen Flow as too analytical, missing excitement. So I went for the NightOwls for extreme comfort and decided to keep the 2CBs for pure enjoyment.

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #190 of 883
@Tomerco another alternative in this price range is the Sony MDR-Z7M2. The Z7M2's bass is smoother and broader, the LCD2-CB's bass is more slamming but a bit rougher. Both have good midrange (which is what led me to try these two as upgrades from my original Z7, because it is so bass-heavy the mids seem recessed). The Audeze is more neutral, which means the Sony is a bit warmer, but they are both clear while retaining an overall warm friendly sound. I give the Audeze a slight edge in sound stage; not surprising given their size. Now I'm very torn between them...for the first hour at least. Sony wins the physical comfort contest hands-down, for hours and hours, unless it's hot in which case both models may get a bit sticky.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #191 of 883
I just bought a pair to compare with Aeon closed I recently got. I've had open phones, but have needed to get closed ones for work now. I'm finding that tonally, the LCD2 closed is like the Sennheiser HD650, but more extension in bass and treble (the HD650s seem to have a bit more emphasis in the mids). I also compared these with Beyerdynamic headphones: comparing those directly, you can hear more of a scoop out of mids with the Beyers (and maybe because of the planar technology, you also hear some more extension in both highs and lows with the LCD2s). These phones are easy to drive: I still hear impressive slam if I have them plugged into an iPhone. But they really open up when I've got them plugged into my tube amp that's getting sources from a Benchmark DAC. With the right tubes, it's a very enjoyable headphone for most genres, that does have sufficient detail to hear nuances. Without amplification, acoustic guitars and female vocals do sound a bit recessed (my understanding is that it's less so then compared to the LCD2c though).

If I compare directly with the Aeons, they're completely different presentations. Back when I was comparing dynamic headphones, I preferred Sennheiser compared to AKG (AKG 301s or 701s sounded too thin to me). As people say the Aeons are more neutral, I don't find the tonality to be thin (there is some bass extension with the Aeons, but overall tonality seems more compressed: especially compared to LCD2 closed). The Aeons have lower sensitivity, and I do find I have to raise the volume quite a bit more on my headphone amp compared to the LCDs. Comfort wise, the Aeons are much lighter and don't clamp as much. But the LCD2 closed is still very comfortable: the relatively newly designed headband is very comfortable and alleviates the feel of how heavy a headphone it is. I've read some reviewers say with the weight they couldn't wear it for more then an hour....but I've listened to them for extended periods (6 hours) with no problems. SQ of Aeon vs LCD2 closed: obviously the LCD2 is warmer (it's quite a difference if you just switch between while listening to the same song). There is more bass slam with the LCDs, and while vocals are very nice and present, they sound a bit more refined with the Aeons. The biggest difference to me is imaging: the Aeons are some of the best I've heard. It is if the music is in front of me with the Aeons, and the music is surrounding me with the LCD2 closed (and is a wider soundstage). A friend of mine, though, also listened to my LCDs and Aeons and said he thought the LCDs sound the most like a loudspeaker he's heard from a headphone. He does studio mixing, so he's now wanting to buy the Audeze LCD Xs (and has chanted what we all know...."It's a sickness" [buying new gear] ) :gs1000smile:[/QUOTE
I just bought a pair to compare with Aeon closed I recently got. I've had open phones, but have needed to get closed ones for work now. I'm finding that tonally, the LCD2 closed is like the Sennheiser HD650, but more extension in bass and treble (the HD650s seem to have a bit more emphasis in the mids). I also compared these with Beyerdynamic headphones: comparing those directly, you can hear more of a scoop out of mids with the Beyers (and maybe because of the planar technology, you also hear some more extension in both highs and lows with the LCD2s). These phones are easy to drive: I still hear impressive slam if I have them plugged into an iPhone. But they really open up when I've got them plugged into my tube amp that's getting sources from a Benchmark DAC. With the right tubes, it's a very enjoyable headphone for most genres, that does have sufficient detail to hear nuances. Without amplification, acoustic guitars and female vocals do sound a bit recessed (my understanding is that it's less so then compared to the LCD2c though).

If I compare directly with the Aeons, they're completely different presentations. Back when I was comparing dynamic headphones, I preferred Sennheiser compared to AKG (AKG 301s or 701s sounded too thin to me). As people say the Aeons are more neutral, I don't find the tonality to be thin (there is some bass extension with the Aeons, but overall tonality seems more compressed: especially compared to LCD2 closed). The Aeons have lower sensitivity, and I do find I have to raise the volume quite a bit more on my headphone amp compared to the LCDs. Comfort wise, the Aeons are much lighter and don't clamp as much. But the LCD2 closed is still very comfortable: the relatively newly designed headband is very comfortable and alleviates the feel of how heavy a headphone it is. I've read some reviewers say with the weight they couldn't wear it for more then an hour....but I've listened to them for extended periods (6 hours) with no problems. SQ of Aeon vs LCD2 closed: obviously the LCD2 is warmer (it's quite a difference if you just switch between while listening to the same song). There is more bass slam with the LCDs, and while vocals are very nice and present, they sound a bit more refined with the Aeons. The biggest difference to me is imaging: the Aeons are some of the best I've heard. It is if the music is in front of me with the Aeons, and the music is surrounding me with the LCD2 closed (and is a wider soundstage). A friend of mine, though, also listened to my LCDs and Aeons and said he thought the LCDs sound the most like a loudspeaker he's heard from a headphone. He does studio mixing, so he's now wanting to buy the Audeze LCD Xs (and has chanted what we all know...."It's a sickness" [buying new gear] ) :gs1000smile:
since you use them at work, may I know whether these phones are keeping the sound in enough to use in a library at medium level listening? thanks so much

Nov 25, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #192 of 883
Never liked any closed headphones, including all the Audeze ones, (EL-8 closed being the worst, worse than Apple’s earbuds in my opinion), the treble always sounds distorted and weird, even though I love the extended bass frequencies. Hope these will change my mind about closed HPs. :-S

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #193 of 883
since you use them at work, may I know whether these phones are keeping the sound in enough to use in a library at medium level listening? thanks so much

For me they’re pretty good. The cups are completely sealed. The ear pads are thick and conform to your head. I think the only factor that might depend on your head size is clamping force. At moderate volumes, they seem well isolating for outside noise and sound leak (so the main issue I’ve found with sealed headphones is a coworker trying to get my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back