Audeze LCD-2 Classic at £550 or Audeze LCD-X at £1100?
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Khitzi

New Head-Fier
I currently use a pair of Sennheiser HD58X headphones and I'm looking to upgrade. In particular I'm looking for something a little airier with a slightly more open soundstage since, although I generally like the 58X sound, they are very intimate and I think they can sound, at times, quite congested.

Someone recommended to me the Sennheiser HD800S, which certainly pique my interest, although they are quite expensive. In researching these I also came across the LCD-X at roughly the same price. I've noticed you can also get the LCD-2 Classic for around £550 second hand.

Does anyone have any advice on these headphones? I realise the returns are smaller as you get higher in the price scale, but at what point is it diminishing returns? I've looked around on the internet, but since these headphones are in different pricing categories, they're not often compared to one another.

I guess more generally, what I want to know is this: Are the LCD-X or HD800S worth twice the price at roughly £1100 over the LCD-2 Classic at £550? Is the LCD-2 Classic a good buy at £550, especially for what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 10
The 800S is a specialty set of cans that is good only if you like hurting yourself or listen to mostly orchestral or big band. It is analytical enough to make you hate most of the music you used to like. For hearing every detail of the recording they're tops but they're not enjoyable for most kinds of music. And they need a good amp, preferably tube OTL. The HD 600 is airy and has better soundstage than the LCD-2C but it also needs a good amp.

The LCD-2C is a great set of all around cans but down the list if you listen mostly to classical. Sound stage is not wide at all. They're easily driven, warm, engaging, and very enjoyable. I think if you look around you should be able to find a new pair for that price. I would have recommended it as a sure upgrade from the 58X or sidegrade from the 6XX but if you're look specifically for soundstage and airiness then I think most Audeze will not be ideal.

I have not heard the LCD-2 nor the LCD-X.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you looking at the creator package LCD-X? (difference is just that there is no travel case, which you could buy for less) The ratios you use seem a little off price-wise. (personally I don't have experience with either but I have been looking into them)

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Are you looking at the creator package LCD-X? (difference is just that there is no travel case, which you could buy for less) The ratios you use seem a little off price-wise. (personally I don't have experience with either but I have been looking into them)

Yeah, it’s the Creator Package. Brand new it’s around £1100, not sure about second hand. LCD2C seems to be £750 everywhere new and then £550 used or B-stock (basically ones that have been returned to the store within the 14-day window).

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 10
I personally would pick the LCD-X over the 2’s just a better headphone.

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 10
LCDX over LCD2C. I would also throw Dan Clark Aeon2 closed to the mix. More technical, better image and detail then LCD2C. Soundstage might be an issue. It’s not very wide. Extremely comfortable and portable tho.
(Own both LCDX/Aeon2C)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 10
I wish I could go and try these out in person, but there's just nowhere nearby. The only place within reach of me that stocks Audeze headphones doesn't allow demos, which seems daft to me, but there we go.

So even at twice the price, you would say the LCD-X is the way to go? Is it really that much better? How's the soundstage and imaging on the X compared to the LCD2C?

I was a little surprised to read above that the 2C is not a wide headphone. I had read elsewhere that it had a really wide stage, especially compared to the Sennheiser HD6** range. Would you all agree with this?

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 10
I wish I could go and try these out in person, but there's just nowhere nearby. The only place within reach of me that stocks Audeze headphones doesn't allow demos, which seems daft to me, but there we go.

So even at twice the price, you would say the LCD-X is the way to go? Is it really that much better? How's the soundstage and imaging on the X compared to the LCD2C?

I was a little surprised to read above that the 2C is not a wide headphone. I had read elsewhere that it had a really wide stage, especially compared to the Sennheiser HD6** range. Would you all agree with this?
Agree. It’s definitely wider/more open (then 600s which I used to own). It’s a different experience if you haven’t heard it. Different class of headphones altogether.
LCDX have a better slam in lower frequencies, more refined in treble and more resolving then 2Cs (imaging and soundstage is also better). Is it worth twice the price? That depends on your budget. Personally, it’s no brainer.
But if LCDXs are more then you can chew, I would consider 2Cs if you want experience Audeze house sound. Again, if you can audition Aeons 2C, I would say do it b4 pulling the trigger on 2Cs. They are not exactly LCDXs but with a bit of EQ they could be studio reference quality.

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Also consider LCD GX. Maybe a little closer to LCDX performance but one of the better soundstage headphones in Audeze line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back