Audeze LCD-1
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #781 of 1,083
Is there really an Audeze "series" sound?
For example, does the EL8 "series", sound anything like the Sine?
That's a NOPE.
Does the LCD1 sound anything like the LCDX = Nope.
Maybe what you mean is that the original Audeze sound, is a warm thick deep tone, which is certainly nothing like Fang's idea of the best Headphone sound....:) ...
Your last premise is correct, which is why I specifically mentioned the Audeze LCD series.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #782 of 1,083
I have to say that I personally find the LCD-1s smooth. I certainly don't hear any "razors." They're not "dark" sounding but they don't sound overly bright and sharp like some headphones I've heard (some Beyers come to mind). People do hear things differently though, so there's no replacement for testing a pair of headphones personally before making purchasing decisions, if it's at all possible (I realize it's often not feasible)

Well, its an Audeze Product. So, resell will be pretty easy, if you don't like them. And Audeze offers a return policy as well, if you want to go that route if you find that you hate them.
There is no escaping the fact that when buying headphones, hoping for the best, you are potentially paying for disappointment.
I'll gladly pay $400 to be disappointed, rather then $4000 to be disappointed., if possible.
Your milage may vary.......:)

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #783 of 1,083
When considering purchase for trial, it's worth mention that headphones.com, which formerly was Tyll's old Headroom company, has 365-day returns. My only relationship with them is buying a few things from them over the years since the late 90s.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #784 of 1,083
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #786 of 1,083
Who does the lcd-1 compare to Sony wh1000mx3
Sound stage, and basswise and clearity?

The Sony has a more "consumer" type sound. It has more perceived bass and treble , as compared to the LCD1s which are a much much warmer sounding set of Headphones.
The Sony's soundstage is wider, but, not necessarily better.
What ive noticed, is that if i use the LCD1s then switch to any other headphones, suddenly all the others have no midrange.
So, this tells me that the LCD1's, are a very rich mids. which is why thy have a perceived slightly soft treble.
Bass is quite good for such a small plastic cup design.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #787 of 1,083
The Sony has a more "consumer" type sound. It has more perceived bass and treble , as compared to the LCD1s which are a much much warmer sounding set of Headphones.
The Sony's soundstage is wider, but, not necessarily better.
What ive noticed, is that if i use the LCD1s then switch to any other headphones, suddenly all the others have no midrange.
So, this tells me that the LCD1's, are a very rich mids. which is why thy have a perceived slightly soft treble.
Bass is quite good for such a small plastic cup design.
Except the soundstage thingy, it actually sounds pretty good to me(Regarding the LCD-1) i own the sonys and they are fine for work in a officf and noise cancel. For critical listening and when i try to learn Songs and technique by ear, i dont mind less warm and dry-ish phones. As long there is a good details and not too coloured bass. want to hear details in rock/blues music instrument technique and soundwise. (mostly guitar fx John mayer take, phrasing, 2. Guitar and such), would
The lcd-1 be able to pick that up nicely enough?

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #788 of 1,083
Except the soundstage thingy, it actually sounds pretty good to me(Regarding the LCD-1) i own the sonys and they are fine for work in a officf and noise cancel. For critical listening and when i try to learn Songs and technique by ear, i dont mind less warm and dry-ish phones. As long there is a good details and not too coloured bass. want to hear details in rock/blues music instrument technique and soundwise. (mostly guitar fx John mayer take, phrasing, 2. Guitar and such), would
The lcd-1 be able to pick that up nicely enough?

I think most people will feel that the LCD1s are a good purchase.
I have no issue with it costing $400 USD.
It offers good performance, Its certainly not a bad set of headphones.
For me, they work best if i dont swap around, as when i do that, i notice their treble being soft...,etc.
I dont really notice this, if im only using them, as in that case, they are very rewarding to hear.
"thin" is not a description that would apply to the sound of these headphones.
If you get them, i hope you will love them...

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #789 of 1,083
I think most people will feel that the LCD1s are a good purchase.
I have no issue with it costing $400 USD.
It offers good performance, Its certainly not a bad set of headphones.
For me, they work best if i dont swap around, as when i do that, i notice their treble being soft...,etc.
I dont really notice this, if im only using them, as in that case, they are very rewarding to hear.
"thin" is not a description that would apply to the sound of these headphones.
If you get them, i hope you will love them...
Just saw this interview, he didnt seem to like them much have you or other noticed an issue with distorted bassound on nearly Max volume he mentioned 1:50 in the video
??

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #790 of 1,083
Just saw this interview, he didnt seem to like them much have you or other noticed an issue with distorted bassound on nearly Max volume he mentioned 1:50 in the video
??

Why would anyone put a set of headphone on, then max the volume?
This is not really very smart, unless you enjoy the idea of hearing loss....:)
Also, who plays headphones at near max volume, who has an IQ? (see above sentence).
Look, i can abuse the LCD1s, and review the abuse as a "negative", but, i'll leave that to morons....ok?
The headphones, sound good, they are "rich mids", very decent bass, and the treble is clear but its not hyper detailed.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #791 of 1,083
??

One is more likely to incur hearing damage before any distortion occurs with our drivers. The measured distortion of LCD-1 is close to negligible across the spectrum and this is true for all our drivers, not just LCD-1. LCD-1 can take up to 5W of power no problem (but please do not try that at home). I am willing to bet it is a case of the source clipping. With 16 ohms impedance, at max volume, LCD-1 will draw more current and could cause the source to clip. but there is absolutely no reason to drive the LCD-1 at max volume unless one wants to damage their ears.

10379198_thumb.png

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #792 of 1,083
The LCD ! is not a LCDX "lite". The LCDX is much much more musical and offers so much more clarity. But you pay for it.

IF you are happy with the sound of any headphone, if it "speaks" to your ears and to your soul, then buy that one. Get the LCD2, as it has spoken to you, and it'll speak to you a lot more if you can hear it in a nice quiet listening environment.
Have fun :)
I did just that, cancelled My lcd-1 order and i am now sitting with a pair of LCD-2 open classic, purchased reused and got at killer deal, i am a very happy dude now. I am very glad i listened to you :))

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #793 of 1,083
I did just that, cancelled My lcd-1 order and i am now sitting with a pair of LCD-2 open classic, purchased reused and got at killer deal, i am a very happy dude now. I am very glad i listened to you :))

Congrats Happy Dude :)

Its easy to buy a lot of headphones, but, its not so easy to find even 4 that you really love.... in a decade of buying..
Im glad you bought the LCD2's, as you liked them, whereas the LCD1's were a "hope for the best" shot in the dark, roll of the dice.
Always go for the sure thing, which is what you did, which is why you are going to be even more happy about it as the days go by.
And if you just have to have an LCD1, in a month, or 4, then get a used one.
It wont be long and there will be plenty of pre-owned available.
This always happens.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #795 of 1,083
You’ll have to pay 30-40 dollars for shipment back and a somewhat mysterious amount restocking fee. It could compete in price to reselling them used.

No restocking fee, unless you destroyed the packaging. I paid around $15 USPS priority mail to send it across the country.

I don't know why anyone would pay $400 for a used LCD-1. Just return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back