Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #2,975 of 7,348
I finally picked up a used ipod touch for $20 to test with the cipher cable - opened up the second cable and they gave me 2 of the regular cables no cipher cable lol - I guess it was not meant to be :wink:

Msg KMann, I'm sure he can help you out and fix that issue.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,977 of 7,348
It's easy to get a quality or cheap priced replacement 2 pin to 3.5mm cable but impossible to buy a iSINE lightning cable. ATM you cannot even buy them separately from their own store. Only way to get them is used and no one is selling them for only $50 .

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,978 of 7,348
Hello all. This is my first post here but I've read through most of the thread over the past month. I stumbled upon the iSINE 20's in a local shop, read one formal review on my phone while in the shop and bought them that day. They really are fantastic but like everyone else on this thread, I'm disappointed with the tone when NOT using the cypher cable. With the cable I wouldn't changed a thing but logic and experience tells me they should scale up beyond the cable when connected to my amp/dac's (Woo WA8, Chord Mojo and a Chord Hugo 2 to be delivered this week) but I really do not like the tone signature with the standard cable to the point of not using them without it. It seems silly to have a killer AMP/DAC with these killer "IEM's" and not use them together.

Stupid question.... I have some high resolution files on my MAC but I primarily stream Tidal Hifi/MQA and am happy with the quality. I've seen the various official and unofficial EQ settings posted on this site but since I do not use an EQ for my full size earphones I need a recommendation on the best way to approach this. I have a trial version of Amarra for Tidal which includes an EQ but the app is a little flaky. What other options would fellow Tidal/MAC users recommend? Tidal does not have an EQ built into the app but the app itself is great. Is there a way to use Tidal and a separate EQ app? Or is there another option Tidal support app I should consider?

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,979 of 7,348
Hello all. This is my first post here but I've read through most of the thread over the past month. I stumbled upon the iSINE 20's in a local shop, read one formal review on my phone while in the shop and bought them that day. They really are fantastic but like everyone else on this thread, I'm disappointed with the tone when NOT using the cypher cable. With the cable I wouldn't changed a thing but logic and experience tells me they should scale up beyond the cable when connected to my amp/dac's (Woo WA8, Chord Mojo and a Chord Hugo 2 to be delivered this week) but I really do not like the tone signature with the standard cable to the point of not using them without it. It seems silly to have a killer AMP/DAC with these killer "IEM's" and not use them together.

Funny how everyone hears things differently. My opinion is the Cipher cable does a bit to much to "color" the sound almost like the tuning of the DSP over boosts the low and high end forsaking the middle. Instead of a DAC/Amp combo, perhaps you should try listening connected to a quality DAP (one advantage is a built in EQ).
Although given how thin the non Cipher cable is, a heavier gauge cable is in my future (and might add some extra heft to the sound). I do hope you can find some middle ground with your 20's. they really take a different approach to the whole in ears thing and are a nice addition to my collection

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,980 of 7,348

Stupid question.... I have some high resolution files on my MAC but I primarily stream Tidal Hifi/MQA and am happy with the quality. I've seen the various official and unofficial EQ settings posted on this site but since I do not use an EQ for my full size earphones I need a recommendation on the best way to approach this. I have a trial version of Amarra for Tidal which includes an EQ but the app is a little flaky. What other options would fellow Tidal/MAC users recommend? Tidal does not have an EQ built into the app but the app itself is great. Is there a way to use Tidal and a separate EQ app? Or is there another option Tidal support app I should consider?

Glad you like the iSine20 with Cipher. Many on this thread have used EQ on Android . For Mac, Amarra for Tidal is limited in terms of EQ, but you will be surprised how much you can do with 4 band Parametric EQ if you get a bit creative. I think the Q values can be changed only in steps of 0.5 in Amarra. When it comes to EQ, there is no magic bullet. Since you have indicated you like the Cipher tuning, Here is something you can try with Amarra. (If you think you are missing too much of the mids, increase the first Hi-Shelf from -6dB to -4dB)

Another option for Mac if you want to use Tidal and also have complete flexibility with EQ (and much more) is Roon. It is on the expensive side, but may be worth it depending on how you intend to use it.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 10.20.56 PM.png

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,982 of 7,348
You do not have to use the Cipher or EQ to make them sound good. The iSines without EQ still sound very good and the imaging is better than most in-ear headphones. The Cipher and other EQ options are like the cherry on top of the ice cream. We added groovy tips a while ago to all packages. When did you get yours from Amazon ? Contact support@Audeze and they should be able to simply mail them to you.

I've contacted them, got a automatic reply last Wed and still no real answer...

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,984 of 7,348
Glad you like the iSine20 with Cipher. Many on this thread have used EQ on Android . For Mac, Amarra for Tidal is limited in terms of EQ, but you will be surprised how much you can do with 4 band Parametric EQ if you get a bit creative. I think the Q values can be changed only in steps of 0.5 in Amarra. When it comes to EQ, there is no magic bullet. Since you have indicated you like the Cipher tuning, Here is something you can try with Amarra. (If you think you are missing too much of the mids, increase the first Hi-Shelf from -6dB to -4dB)

Another option for Mac if you want to use Tidal and also have complete flexibility with EQ (and much more) is Roon. It is on the expensive side, but may be worth it depending on how you intend to use it.

Thanks KMann... I started a 14 day trial of Roon and like the interface much more than Amarra and the eq is much more user friendly. I wanted to apply the setting you provided back on page 84 (and probably numerous other times) but am having a hard time reading the numbers on the screen shot. Around the same spot on the thread a user suggested the following settings which is a HUGE improvement with the standard cable. Do you have the "official" cypher setting any where in the thread not in cut/paste screen shot form?

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 7 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q .9
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q .1

For a reference for others, I primarily listen to classical / acoustic music and love the sound of the cypher cable even if it is more v shaped then some prefer. These 20's are amazing. I can't imagine how the LCDi4's could sound any better and haven't found any reviews. I know they've been discussed on this thread but has anyone tried them out? I have a Chord Hugo 2 on order which I frankly do not need since I love my WA8 but it will be nice to have a different sound in a form factor that is a tiny bit more transportable with a better battery. That said, if the LCDi4's are head and shoulders above the iSINE (which I don't see how that would be possible) I could always divert the funds and stick with the amps I have.

Thoughts?

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,985 of 7,348
Thanks KMann... I started a 14 day trial of Roon and like the interface much more than Amarra and the eq is much more user friendly. I wanted to apply the setting you provided back on page 84 (and probably numerous other times) but am having a hard time reading the numbers on the screen shot. Around the same spot on the thread a user suggested the following settings which is a HUGE improvement with the standard cable. Do you have the "official" cypher setting any where in the thread not in cut/paste screen shot form?

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 7 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q .9
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q .1

For a reference for others, I primarily listen to classical / acoustic music and love the sound of the cypher cable even if it is more v shaped then some prefer. These 20's are amazing. I can't imagine how the LCDi4's could sound any better and haven't found any reviews. I know they've been discussed on this thread but has anyone tried them out? I have a Chord Hugo 2 on order which I frankly do not need since I love my WA8 but it will be nice to have a different sound in a form factor that is a tiny bit more transportable with a better battery. That said, if the LCDi4's are head and shoulders above the iSINE (which I don't see how that would be possible) I could always divert the funds and stick with the amps I have.

Thoughts?
Already a handful of us who own the LCD-i4. You must've missed its thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/audeze-lcd-i4-totl-in-ear-monitor-discussion.850292
Ps: start saving >:-]]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back